Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the match is over, dang that was a lot of rounds downrange. There's just something cool about spending 5 minutes shooting as stage...and winning it. Thanks to all the RO's who worked their butts off in the heat and the rain. This was a butt kicker for the shooters. The RO's shot the match and then ran every shooter with little relief. They did a great job. Thanks to the whole Gibson clan. Mike and the kids had a great match this year. Very challenging stages, good mix of guns and short and long shots (40 yard shots with the pistol on MGM auto poppers?!?!?!)

Overall Match winner and High Open shooter was...(drum roll) Matt Burkett. I don't think he's come in anywhere but first ever at this match. And he tried his darnedest by giving all a nice head start. His first shot of that match with his own shotgun he put a slug on a spinning steel target, earning himself a 6 minute penalty. And he still kicked everyones butt!!

I believe it was Sterling White (GMW2B) that won the Limited Division.

Some fat guy from Oregon won Scoped Tactical and High Law.

By far the best run Ironman match in the 5 years I've been there. The ROs were all great and very helpful.

Also the most physically demanding, not even counting the trooper class aspect. This has me motivated to get in better shape for next year, as the ability to operate at peak levels for extended period times is a definite advantage.

Don Langworthy, Cavalry Arms sponsored shooter, won Trooper and the M1A from springfield.

and assuming I read the match results correctly before I left...

Travis Gibson was second in Trooper

I came in 3rd in trooper

props to Mike Gibson for sticking it out in trooper despite an injurred foot.

Only one shooter quit Trooper because his shotgun died on him 2/3 of the way through the match

Tennille is the first female shooter to compete in and complete Trooper class at ironman, or anywhere for that matter. For her efforts she will be getting a CAV-15 MKII receiver.

All shooters who completed the match in trooper received a free entry to our 3 gun match in Waco.

Well the match is over, dang that was a lot of rounds downrange. There's just something cool about spending 5 minutes shooting as stage...and winning it. Thanks to all the RO's who worked their butts off in the heat and the rain. This was a butt kicker for the shooters. The RO's shot the match and then ran every shooter with little relief. They did a great job. Thanks to the whole Gibson clan. Mike and the kids had a great match this year. Very challenging stages, good mix of guns and short and long shots (40 yard shots with the pistol on MGM auto poppers?!?!?!)

Overall Match winner and High Open shooter was...(drum roll) Matt Burkett. I don't think he's come in anywhere but first ever at this match. And he tried his darnedest by giving all a nice head start. His first shot of that match with his own shotgun he put a slug on a spinning steel target, earning himself a 6 minute penalty. And he still kicked everyones butt!!

I believe it was Sterling White (GMW2B) that won the Limited Division.

Some fat guy from Oregon won Scoped Tactical and High Law.

You aint fat, just big boned like me. :P Good shooting. :)

WOW!! I can't thank Tennille, Travis, Eric, Mike and everyone else involved with this match enough for all the HARD WORK they did!!

I felt like I was shooting TROOPER CLASS all week (even though I was shooting Tactical Optics) :wacko:

Had a great time!!

Cheryl :)

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone here who attended the MGM Ironman 2006 this year. It was better than ever and as part of the crew, I appreciated all of the shooters. I truly think we have some of the best competitors in the country. Everyone pulls their own weight and works till dark. We did have a few backups on stages but everyone was really patient and that made my life much easier!

I look forward to seeing all of you at next years match (we are tenetively planning...but not ready to commit :D )

Thanks also to Danielle, Bob, and Mario who helped run the RO's.

A huge thanks to all of our awesome sponsors there were lots of them!

Last but not least, I hope to have the results posted this week...we are still cleaning the range...

I'm not sure that stage is really a good example. Since the RO told everyone it was okay to break the 180 with the shotgun while running up range. I also watched just about every shooter on our squad cover themselves with the muzzle of some thing at least once.

I'm not sure that stage is really a good example. Since the RO told everyone it was okay to break the 180 with the shotgun while running up range. I also watched just about every shooter on our squad cover themselves with the muzzle of some thing at least once.

With the muzzle pointed down at the ground. The 180 is a range safety rule, not a gun safety rule. I don't about other squads, but our squad was told that if the muzzle was anywhere other than straight down while running up range it would be a DQ.

I didn't see or notice people covering themselves, but my point was every one (everyone from new shooters to the most experienced) managed to maintan propper trigger discipline running hot on the clock.

Allowing hot reholstering made for a much more challenging and interesting stage IHMO.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

The hot re-holstering issue is pretty much a moot safety point after that stage! What a great match! Thanks to Mike Gibson, Tennille, Travis and the rest of the crew that put it on! Thanks to the squad I shot with - you guys rock! Thanks to all the match sponsors but especially to Cavalry Arms for being the match sponsor!

Hey, I just want to say 'thanks' to my squad members for all the help!! and for laughing WITH me and not AT me!! :wub: I had a really great time with you guys!!

Cheryl :)

• 4 months later...

Now that the 2007 Match applications are up..

Looking for a little After Action Report..

Anyone care to share what ammo they did use.

What worked?

What didn't?

What did you bring you shouldn't have bothered with?

What did you forget?

Specifically looking for shotshell recommendations.

As you can use buckshot on all the steel. I plan on taking more buckshot and less birdshot next year, probably a 50/50 mix. A lot the steel is at farther distances that can be difficult to knock down with birdshot. Buckshot also works well on the double spinners...my 12 pellet S&B load actualy uprooted one from the ground with the legs falling off LOL.

For 2007 we will again do a free CAV-15 receiver for any female shooters who complete the match in Trooper.

Edited by SinistralRifleman