Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Saw it a few nights ago. Deliberately went to the last showing on a Sunday night so the theatre wasn't too crowded. I loved it. Truly, I think it's an absolute masterpiece. I actually just got through, a few minutes ago, discussing this movie for about an hour with the 19-year old ticket taker at the theatre. That's what you get for saying, "I thought this was a really good movie, Rogue's my favorite character, I've heard she's a lot different in the movie than the comics" to a guy who's been collecting comics since he was eight years old. Amazingly she thought all the stuff I had to say, about the history of the X-Men from 1963 to today, the differences between the comics and movies, where the influences came from, was really interesting and cool. An interesting and cool comics geek....wotta concept.

So, anybody have any thoughts on the flick?

>sigh< :( I was so looking forward to watching this movie and when I did, I was terribly disappointed (and actually spitting mad). The movie is good...from a marketing standpoint. But they just changed the story and characters so much from the comic book that I was just open-mouthed through out the movie. Dark Phoenix, split personality????? I almost fainted in disbelief.

I was a die-hard X-Men fan in the early 90's. And I guess it was my fault for having such huge expectations going into the movie theater. When Wolverine was giving his speech about them being outnumbered, I thought they were all going to group hug after that. I was just really really disappointed. :(

But they just changed the story and characters so much from the comic book...

The movie studios always seem to do this; They don't seem to understand that the fans want the characters as they were in the comic books. The books are successful so why do they muck around with something that works ?

They probably have these 'focus groups' that sit in a circle and discuss what the 'public' wants.

I never got into the X-Men, I was always a fan of the Fantastic Four and that movie was a major disappointment. The only Marvel character that they got right was Spiderman.

I might get this on DVD when it comes out but I'm not going to sit in a theatre and watch it.

In fact the only movie I've been thinking of seeing is Flight 93... I'm put off by the fact that it's a really sad ending and I hate walking out of a movie theatre wishing I could kill somebody :(

Well, okay, obviously I love comics, and I read the Dark Phoenix storyline when it was originally released as a monthly book. X-Men #137, the death of Jean Grey, is one of the very few comic books that ever made me cry. Every time I read it. Which was quite a few times. So I feel I've got my dibs in as a fan of the original storyline. At the same time, I'm not going to reject a comic-to-movie translation just because it deviates from the source material - I'll evaluate it based on its own worth. And, taken on its own merits, the lates X-Men movie is perhaps equally as fine a piece of work. In my opinion.

As for the first Spider-Man film, to me that's an excellent example of a movie that deviated from the source material - and it worked. Yes, they changed the origin. But in every case the changes were improvements, and actually eliminated logical inconsistencies in the 1962 origin.

saw it yesterday

I have vague memories of the comic book, I was more of a dc fan.

but I enjoyed, not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.

I liked the tie in to star trek, with the holo deck. I was waiting for picard, I mean xavier to say computer end program.

I was impressed in general, but VERY disappointed at who they killed off. I did see the surprise at the end, so that's not what I'm talking about. It really deviated from the comic in this one, so it was a mixed emotion.

The X-men movies are not a retelling of the comics. If they were there would be a gajillion X-men movies. The movies are merely an interpretation of the X-men characters and universe told in a new story. I like them. I also like the comics. Haven't seen #3 yet, but plan on it very shortly.

And the Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline has got to be the best comic book story arc ever!

I have to admit to liking the movie. Sure, Logan's speech was a little cheesy, but certainly not as cheesy as Storm's line spoken to the Toad in the first movie... sheesh... :lol: There's precedent for basically everything that happened in the movie in the various story arcs of the X-Men history. The Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix arc is actually fairly true to the comic, in concept, as I remember it - a little research on marvel.com seems to confirm it, too.

It's been a long time since I've read the graphic novels, etc, but... I've enjoyed all three movies for what they are. The 2nd movie is the best, to me, so far, but this one's not bad either. I'd like Logan to be a little darker, personally - and developed a little more deeply (perhaps the 4th movie...). I missed Nightcrawler in this movie - was looking forward to more of Kurt Wagner. He and Wolverine were always my favorite characters...

Movies can deviate form the comics, they are a different medium and thus require some different handling. Frankly, some of the teasers and sneak peek clips are what have kept me form seeing this yet. Some of them look attrocious. The sneak peek of wolverine and colossus vs the sentinal looked like total crap. Does most of the flick rise above that, or is it par for the course?

Singer had an idea of how far you could push something before ruining it and what was more important to fans and less important to fans. I'm not so sure this guy gets it.

As far as comic to film adaptations go, I think spidey and the new batman flick are the best. They really get it. x-men was 90% and was decent entertainment. As far as superhero flicks, that's about it that I think did it well. As far as comics to film, road to perdition, and history of violence were interesting translations. The fifth element I think also did a great job of taking the underpinning of something like heavy metal magazine and meobius and making a movie from it.

I've never been a big comic reader so I didn't have a source of reference going into the movie. I enjoyed all three X-Men movies greatly. My 15 y.o. made some comments about Dark Phoenix being out of character and the guy that threw the bone things out of his arms being a woman in the comic books.

Somebody P.M. me with what happened after the credits. My 5 y.o. had to pee too bad for us to hang out.

You guys should check out the new Ultimate Marvel universe comics. Marvels reimagining of many of their old books. Thus far I'm liking them a lot better than the old X-men comics...they seem much more violent, and characters don't get killed off and come back to life a dozen times.

The Hulk eats people...

Captain America is much more hardcore

Magneto is more ruthless

Professor X isn't such a wuss...he uses his powers with much greater an interesting effects.

You can download the comics online through bit torrent.

Just like BBDB I wasn't a comic reader. Maybe that's why I like so much most of the comic-to-movie flics. I didn't know that "Road to Perdition" and "History of Violence" were graph novels. "The Punisher" sucked big time and wasn't very pleased with "Fantastic Four", one of my favorite cartoons growing up. I liked "Sin City" and "Hellboy", have never understood what the hell is wrong with Batman and I'm glad Superman is coming back.

I don't know the history behind the X-men, but have enjoyed the movies very much. X3 has not been my favorite, I was kinda' disappointed at how the story was developed. It had such potential. However, wasn't a bad way to spend a couple of rainy Sunday morning hours.

Duane, you never cease to amaze me!

I liked the tie in to star trek, with the holo deck.

Actually, that wasn't a homage to Star Trek. The X-Men's Danger Room way predates the Holodeck.

And the Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline has got to be the best comic book story arc ever!

I agree. But don't get me started. The story of the evolution of the Dark Phoenix storyline, and how they came to kill off Jean Grey (that wasn't the original plan) is, I think, fascinating, and I could blather on about it at tedious length.

Interesting bit of trivia: several years ago, Marvel Comics did this thing called "Marvel's Top 100" where they let people vote on what was the best single issue of a Marvel comic, ever, then they reprinted them. Okay, obviously Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man is going to be #1. And Fantastic Four #1, the first appearance of the FF - and the first Marvel comic book - is going to be #2. They're just too historically important not to be. But Uncanny X-Men #137, the death of Jean Grey, was #3. It was by far the highest finishing comic that, in my opinion, earned its place through sheer excellence rather than historical importance. Frankly, I would have placed it #1, period.

The Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix arc is actually fairly true to the comic, in concept

Uh, no. Not even close.

As far as comic to film adaptations go, I think spidey and the new batman flick are the best.

Okay, not to rain on anyone's parade, different strokes for different folks and all that, but I thought Batman Begins was utter crap. You have to shake your head in wonder at the mindset that reimagines the Batmobile as a huge black dune buggy.

As far as superhero flicks, that's about it that I think did it well.

Actually, if I had to point to one movie as the best comic-to-film translation ever, it would be The Crow. I also have a sneaking affection for The Phantom - though it's certainly no Crow or even Spider-Man.

Duane, you never cease to amaze me!

Whyever so? He asked ingenuously.

I actually just got through, a few minutes ago, discussing this movie for about an hour with the 19-year old ticket taker at the theatre. (SNIP) Amazingly she thought all the stuff I had to say, about the history of the X-Men from 1963 to today, the differences between the comics and movies, where the influences came from, was really interesting and cool. An interesting and cool comics geek....wotta concept.

B) COOL! B)