Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Holsters

rtr

I'm going to start carrying a 1911 commander (S&W SC). I think I'm going to want both an IWB and OWB holster. Just curious what folks have experience with and like.

I've used nothing but Milt Sparks for some years now. I have them for both full-length and Commander-sized pistols. True, they have some long-ish lead times (~10 weeks) if ordered directly from them, but they have stocking dealers who can fill an order immediately for a little more money. Lightning Arms is the company I've bought most of my MS leather from.

I strongly recommend a long look at the Executive's Companion. Being wider at the bottom than the top is a bit unconventional, but it spreads the load over a larger area and doesn't seem to "gouge" as much as more traditional designs. Their "pre-curved" belts are first-rate, too.

They aren't inexpensive, but they ain't cheap, either.

I like the Andrew's IWB / McDaniels Special so much I must have bought five or six of them for different carry guns over the years.

Basically it's a "trailing loop design that keeps the gun butt close to your hip. I can carry a Gov model under an untucked golf shirt. Very comfortable, and well made.

Another vote for Milt Sparks and Lightning Arms sports. Great leather and the best customer service under one roof. I carry a full-size 1911 in a Sparks Summer Special II on a Sparks 1.25" belt, very comfortable and stable. Both have help up very well to constant use and practice for three years now, and looks like they will be there for a long while to come.

Tucker Gunleather

I stumbled across this holster two years ago and it has become my absolute favorite. I carry everyday and I usually go IWB with this holster at least 5-6 days out of 7. It is the most comfortable IWB I have tried so far (got a box of unused stuff to prove I have been down the holster road more than enough) and can easily be carried OWB if you so choose. I think the comfort lies in the way that the clips can pivot back and forth a little which allows the holster to move as you change positions (sit, stand, squat, whatever) throughout the day. I have heard that the Answer model is good as well.

Good luck, Craig

PS. Got great service both at time of purchase as well as when I needed a replacement clip (breakage was my fault) as well.

Edited by smokshwn

I'm going to start carrying a 1911 commander (S&W SC). I think I'm going to want both an IWB and OWB holster. Just curious what folks have experience with and like.

Milt Sparks. That's all I use.

I've had several from Milt Sparks, Alessi, Galco etc but if you'd like to give a little company a try, check out HBE leatherworks.

I have an open top belt holster for my full size 1911 and my Glock 30. They are very nice holsters. Comfortable for all day carry and secure. My pistols fit nicely in them.

Good luck on the search.

Another vote for Milt Sparks and Lightning Arms sports. Great leather and the best customer service under one roof. I carry a full-size 1911 in a Sparks Summer Special II on a Sparks 1.25" belt, very comfortable and stable. Both have help up very well to constant use and practice for three years now, and looks like they will be there for a long while to come.

"I carry a full-size 1911 in a Sparks Summer Special II on a Sparks 1.25" belt, very comfortable and stable."

Me too... ;)

I have a Milt Sparks 55BN for OWB carry, and a Comp-Tac Shirt Tucker for IWB. I'm happy with both of them. If I were to get another OWB holster for it, I'd go with the Milt Sparks #60 TK. I've got one for my Beretta 92 Brigadier and for my CZ-75B, and it conceals better than any other OWB holster I've tried.

Here's something a little different. All of the Leather makers above are great, but in Oklahoma, anyway, it is simple math.

Heat+Leather=smell and rust. It seemed like anytime the holster was worn for more then a while in the heat, it would be wet for 3 days. I got a Kytac IWB for my XD and it is great. It is actually fast enough to get a 1-1.2 draw from concealment. It is an IWB as well.

Just a thought..

Mike