Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splenda

Flyin40

Julia Roberts has really let herself go.

Thats aside, I love Splenda, it is all my wife and I use nowdays. It usefull in both its forms, the pockets for coffee and tea, and the loose form for deserts and the like. It is by far the tastiest sugar substitute.

I've switched to diet drinks, mostly splenda for home made green tea. I like it but some are warning me that it's just bleached sugar.

Anyone heard about Stivia??

splenda is the molecular mirror of sugar without the calories (or something like that).

stevia is a plant, it's very sweet tasting.

http://www.stevia.net/

I've switched to diet drinks, mostly splenda for home made green tea. I like it but some are warning me that it's just bleached sugar.

Anyone heard about Stivia??

splenda is the molecular mirror of sugar without the calories (or something like that).

stevia is a plant, it's very sweet tasting.

http://www.stevia.net/

splenda is chloronated sugar. Yeah it sounds like blached, But I believe chlorinated is used in the organic-chemistry technical sense. Apparantly it is sugar combined through some process with some very pure chlorinating agent. What you get is an organit molicule that can react with some bits of the human body (taster) but not others (digestive tract).

The main point of concern is what happens with it in the human body. Aspertame breaks down to formaldahyde in the liver, which isn't really good for you. About the only thing anyone can say about splenda is that it is a chlorinated hydrocarbon, which tend to accumulate in the body's fatty tissues.

Could do nothing, could build up over time and screw up your brian or reproductive organs.. who knows.

All I know is it does NOT taste like sugar, especially when mixed into tea. It is less vile than any other zero calorie sweetener though.

Haven't tried stevia though, might order some just out of curiosity.

Personally, I just use sugar and try not to overdo it.

Not to hijack the thread... Splenda seems to be pretty good as a low calorie sweetener, one that I'd rather use is in general use in Europe is Xylitol and it is made from Birch trees. The body processes it differently and while it is not no calorie, I think it has 40% less calories than Sugar, but it is all natural. It's a bit pricey though.. Locally I can get it for about $5.50 a pound at Whole foods. It also doesn't have the funny taste that the artificial sweeteners do. I think Xylitol is chemically a kind of alcohol so it breaks down pretty quick.

Vince

I use stevia as a sweetner and it is OK. It is a plant extract and can be had at various levels of processing from whole leaves to little packets that look just like Equal/Splenda/etc. I find that it doesn't totally disolve which doesn't bother me but YMMV. I mostly use the packets for convenience although the leaves work great in hot tea.

Oh and if you are just looking for something with a low glycemic index but aren't worried about calories, try agave nectar. This stuff tastes good and is a liquid so it disolves completely in drinks.

Edited by vincent

Re-hijacking the already diverted thread....

I've been trying to get back into shape, (not that I was ever a UFC, SEAL, Underwear model, but I digress.)

Anyway, I was using "muscle milk" as a meal replacement in the mornings. A guy at our local mom-n-pop GNC suggesteed this stivia sweetened alternative by I think Dymatize. It was identical nutritionally, and cheaper, so I gave it a shot.

Muscle milk tastes AWESOME, but this stuff tastes like a funky malted who knows what. Not horrible once I got used to it, but definitely.....different. Like you made a milk shake out of "whoppers" candy.

Is the odd taste the stivia?

Ive never tried the Stevia, Ill give it a shot, what the hell. Ill prob stick with Splenda until something else comes along.

FYI, I also know decaf coffee has formaldahyde in it. That is the process that takes the caffine out of coffee. My fathers cardiologist told him this. After my fathers heart surgery 5 years ago, he was put on a strict diet (as usual for all heart patients after surgery) and the only drinks he was allowed to have for months afterward was water and decaf coffee. So I knew the formaldahyde couldnt be that strong or bad for you in decaf coffee. The cardiologist said there was such little formaldahyde in it, it would take approx 900 cups of decaf coffee in a day too affect you.

He also said this is that is the only process known so far that can take the caffine out of coffee.

Stevia is good stuff. I got a dropper bottle of 2 oz liquid and I use a mere 6 drops with my morning coffee. I haven't tried the powdered version for cooking but may shortly. The only draw back with stevia is that it can taste bitter if you use too much. And DP, I'd bet it's the soy in your milk that has a different taste. I too was trying a few different suppliments and the ones high in soy had a sorta funky taste.

I like it but some are warning me that it's just bleached sugar.

Oh .. I missed this. This is one of the things that people sometimes complain about regarding Splenda. Of course, no one call tabled salt bleached sodium. Yes, NaCL is an ionic bond, and Sucralose (splenda) is a covalent bond, but the worse any study about splenda came with was a thrinkage of thymus in male rats when fed the equivalent of you eatng 400gr of sucralose per day for 3 year.

I think eating 400gr per day of ANYTHING will make something grow or shrink.

I think Xylitol is chemically a kind of alcohol so it breaks down pretty quick.

Vince

Yeah, you will encounter Xylitol in the US in some chewing gums. I agree it's pretty tasty and not weird and chemically.

As for dirtypool's whoppers taste, like carina, I'd suspect the protein source over the sugar.

Edited by raz-0