Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker Opinions

jmorris

Look's good but it wouldn't work on my custom's Bedell (and pretty much all the other Smith stuff...)because my scope sit much lower then the STI Factory stuff....ie this slide racker would fit nicely on my Stinger.....

Not saying your gun is wrong....but there's a lot of different set-up out there.

Ok vendor hat off and shooter hat on. The problem with any slide racker sitting that far to the rear on the left side is that you can and will catch your thumb on it at some time or another. I prefer a racker on the left side of the gun to be moved forawrd so the thumb can clear even the Sidewinder which i sell and own the mold to. Now if they could come up with a way to move the racker part forward it may be a popular product and easy to install as long as it doesnt interfere with that really critical firing pin stop and extractor fit.

Vendor hat on. I actually talked a guy out of buying a sidewinder today because he wanted to put it in an existing bomar dovetail. I told him just what i said above. If it cant be put in forward you wont be happy with it.

Shooter hat back on. I would rather shoot without a racker at all if it wasnt forward and out of the way of my thumb when I draw. Rackers that go on the other side are ok but are sort of awkward to use.

I have an EGW Sidewinder on my Open gun, and Rob Shepherd just did a ball-detent keeper mechanism on it instead of the set screw. Very slick.

I'll try and get some pics of it tonight when I remount my Aimpoint after having the switch replaced.

I have an EGW Sidewinder on my Open gun, and Rob Shepherd just did a ball-detent keeper mechanism on it instead of the set screw. Very slick.

I'll try and get some pics of it tonight when I remount my Aimpoint after having the switch replaced.

EGW does a good job selling the rackers for me. The ball detent thing that Joey Hardy started is the trick and what we put on our custom guns now also. Of course with Joey's blessing.

<_<

I choose not to use one at all!!!!!! PLUS if you spend time and MONEY to lighten the slide!

WHY add extra weight???? :D

Kevin, with one of our guns I see how you can get buy without one, although it came with one. I still like the conveinence of the load and unload with the racker and the use as a kickstand. You are right if the gun runs you shouldnt need it to clear jams.

I've had enough FP stops break just from being hit with the hammer & I'd be squeamish about the momentum of the racker portion trying to break itself off on every slam of the slide going forward.

That plus the way you'd need to remove the FP stop, FP & spring every time you take the slide off the gun. Not for me.

My STI has a long cut like the one in the pictures & I still have Load&Shoot times identical to my old Caspian with a racker. Now I just have grip tape at the very back of the slide & other things [*thumb rest [generic]*, Aimpoint cap] that act as a kickstand. Slam the mag home & do a quick 180 with the strong hand & your left thumb & finger are right there at the back of the slide. My $.02

I've had enough FP stops break just from being hit with the hammer & I'd be squeamish about the momentum of the racker portion trying to break itself off on every slam of the slide going forward.

That plus the way you'd need to remove the FP stop, FP & spring every time you take the slide off the gun. Not for me.

My STI has a long cut like the one in the pictures & I still have Load&Shoot times identical to my old Caspian with a racker. Now I just have grip tape at the very back of the slide & other things [*thumb rest [generic]*, Aimpoint cap] that act as a kickstand. Slam the mag home & do a quick 180 with the strong hand & your left thumb & finger are right there at the back of the slide. My $.02

I am one always "in" for innovation, and designing a "better mouse trap". I like the simplicity of the design, and the need "not to machine/cut" just for the installation of a "racker". Although you do have to cut/machine some as this system is installed from the top rather then the normal bottom in installation of a standard firing pin stop. I do have two items of concern, worthy of some "R&D", though. One is the effect it may have on the structural integrity of the firing pin stop retaining rails, and the possibility of damaging them from repeated internal "peening" and twisting, or breakage of the part created during normal or sometimes rough usage. This leads to item number two, which although extreme is feasible. Imagine that while using an extra long firing pin with a weakened firing pin spring, and a "waddled-out" set of firing pin stop rails, should the stop/racker be pulled/moved upwards either during racking or during firing ... it could hold the firing pin "IN" potentially and unintentionally creating a "slam-bang" cascade of shots. Hopefully, if that happened, I would hope for the part just to fall off, along with the firing pin, harmlessly, although ruining your firing session; which would be better than a slam-bang episode. But I am sure that with a little bit of additional R&D this possibility can be eliminated. All in all I see that this could be a nice "light-duty" item.

i think my firng pin stop is busy enough..no need to give it another job.

the only TI part i have in my gun is the hammer strut...and im not sure it makes a poo if thats TI or Steel.

anything that gets hit with a hammer and is made of TI is bad...

Im actually scared of most slide rackers too. i have big hands and my thumb gets too close for comfort on some of the open guns ive shot w/slide rackers.

also, with all those pretty sabre tooth serrations, you want a racker?