Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Cal. 185gr Coated Bullets

Mike Morcillo

Okay, using Titegroup, where's the starting point for Precision Bullets 185gr RNFP coated bullets? All my reference books talk about 180gr. Anyone use them? Looking at them I like the long bearing surface similar to JHP, and the concave base for sealing gas pressure.

4.0 g of Titegroup in KKM barrel, Glock 35.....185g Precision bullet.

Makes 172 in my gun......

edit to add:

OAL 1.135, Winchester small pistol primers

Edited by cnemikeman

I got LOTS of smoke with TG and Precisions. Is anyone else seeing this? I have a lot of bell on the case to prevent scraping off any coating during loading, but I am wondering if the EGW undersize sizing die makes the case small enough enough to remove some coating?

Edited by Scott G

I see smoke quite often with this combo...... haven't found an answer yet as to 'why'....... I can tell you switching bullets eliminates it, but I haven't tried switching powders and using same bullet, so can't comment that way.

I can say Precision and Titegroup are a nice shooting combo. :)

Mike

I see smoke quite often with this combo...... haven't found an answer yet as to 'why'....... I can tell you switching bullets eliminates it, but I haven't tried switching powders and using same bullet, so can't comment that way.

I can say Precision and Titegroup are a nice shooting combo. :)

Mike

Tightgroup is extremenly smoky with regular lead bullets.

Just a suggestion. You might try another powder.

Start with 3.4 gr of Clays and load long etc 1.175. This is my current plinking load with lead bullets. It makes minor.

Edited by 45gunner

In my Trojan, in the middle of summer, 3.8gr of TG was right at 169.6PF, 1.180" OAL. In the dead of winter, it'll probably 4.1-4.2 to get to that same spot for me... I ended up picking N320, so...

If you want to get away from the smoke but aren't willing to pay for VV powders, try this...

4.6 gr Solo 1000 (maybe start at 4.3/4.4 and work up)

Federal Small Pistol primers

1.208 OAL

Makes 170PF in my 5" STI w/ Precision 185's. Soft. Clean.

Solo 1000??? What??? :blink:

Yes, Solo 1000. A single-base shotgun powder. Feels similar to N320 but half the price. After using both TG and N320, all I load anymore is Solo 1000 for .40.

BUT...be careful. This is a FAST powder (the likes of N310). Watch for pressure signs. There isn't a lot of upward flexibility here. Personally, I went from the Precision 185's to their 200's. Less powder. Fewer pressure signs. Great feel. And I can buy 8 pounds of Solo 1000 for $87.95.

For the 200's, I use 4.1 grains. If I use Winchester primers, I step that up to 4.2 grains to ensure I pass chrono. (For whatever reason, I get an extra 4FPS on average w/ Federal primers)

Edited by LukeDuke

Thanks for the help. Worked up a couple of loads and here's what I got. All OAL's are 1.125, shot through a Dawson STI Edge with 5" barrel. 3.8 Titegroup 169PF/average velocity is 917FPS. If linear, then 4.0 will give me a 178PF @ 965 FPS. Outisde temp. was 75 degrees, 50% humidity. Shoots soft. I didn't notice any smoke 'cause I didn't want to shoot the chrono.

Thanks for the help. Worked up a couple of loads and here's what I got. All OAL's are 1.125, shot through a Dawson STI Edge with 5" barrel. 3.8 Titegroup 169PF/average velocity is 917FPS. If linear, then 4.0 will give me a 178PF @ 965 FPS. Outisde temp. was 75 degrees, 50% humidity. Shoots soft. I didn't notice any smoke 'cause I didn't want to shoot the chrono.

What kind of bullets are you using? What bullet Weight? what Primers? etc Please give some details.

Edited by 45gunner

What kind of bullets are you using? What bullet Weight? what Primers? etc Please give some details.

looks like everyone else in this post is talking about 185 grain precision bullets..so i presume he was using them.

that being said, his loads were consistent with mine w/ precision 185s, titegroup and federal 200 primers at 1.135 oal.

4.0 grains is a handfull in a KKM barreled glock 22

Anyone loading VV N320? I'm planning to switch over to the Titegroup eventually but I've still got about 4 lbs of 320 left. Without any feedback, I'm thinking something like 4.2 or 4.3 grains. I'm going to load up a few different loads and chrono them this week.

Anyone loading VV N320?

I started with N320 when I tried the Precision 185's. The salesman suggested starting at 4.2g, but it didn't make major. I needed 4.6g of N320 loaded to 1.200" oal with Fed 205 primers to make 168pf out of a 5" Schuemann barrel.

Im having good results with Ramshot ZIP and 185 precisions in my KKM barreled glock

4.1 grains at 1.135 gets me 170 powerfactor w/less smoke and softer recoil than titegroup.