Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok..why Not Wst?

Kyreb

Believe it or not I am finally on my last pound of Winchester Super Light....I really stocked up when Winchester discontinued it way back when.

Now I am tired of waiting on some N320 to become available. Got to thinking about the Winchester Super Target I have been using as my favorite in .45 ACP for years.

So.... IMHO...WST ...

(1) Is reasonably priced and relatively easy to find.

(2) Burns in a reasonably clean manner.

(3) Consistent PF over different temps and weather.

(4) Makes 165 PF easily on ~5 grains.

So...Why not WST? I see hardly anything on print for WST in print. What gives?

Myself and one of my shooting buddies have been using WST in .40 for a while now for all the reasons you mentioned. I tried Tight Group for a while but went back to WST (no difference in feel but WST fills the case more).

Where does WST come in on the burn chart compared to TG..?

From Hodgdon, WST is # 16 just in front of AA#2. TG is # 8. So WST should be slower.

I googled "powder burn rate chart" and after looking at several charts it appears that there is about a 60% chance that Tight Group is slightly faster than WST :ph34r: . Obviously there is not a standardized test for powder burn rate.

Edited by Scott R

• 4 weeks later...

When I first picked up my STI Edge, I worked up a load for the 180gr Master Blasters and WST. I have since tried it with the Precision 185's and some MG 180 JHP's. I moved away from WST as my ES's were way higher than with other powders (N320, Universal Clays, Titegroup). For economy, it's hard to beat Titegroup especially if you are using jacketed bullets.

It's been over a year since I have loaded this combo but:

180gr MB 5.1gr WST 1.185"OAL WSP @ 169-170PF

I don't use WST in .40, as I have found there are other powders that I like better.

My experience with it in my Trojan was similar to Paradox's as far as ES's and SD's - not a very consistent velocity compared to TG and N320. In my gun, it cornmeals a bunch, leaving unburned powder all over the ejection port, feed ramp, etc. On the plus side, it's by far the softest shooting powder of the three, the diametric opposite of TG's snappy response.

After some research on the forum (IIRC, several casehead separations mentioned in hot weather - and TX isn't exactly balmy in the summer), and given the negatives above, I decided to stay w/ N320 (softer than TG, most consistent and cleanest of the three in my gun).

You folks battling the "corn meal"..... what seating depth (OAL) are you running?

I backed down to 1.2" in order to get more consistent feeding. I am thinking this OAL along with a fairly stout crimp may allow a more complete burn.

This is how I overcame this problem when loading some Western powder a few years ago.

Your thoughts?

1.135, longer and mine wont feed.

WST almost cost me major scoring at 05 area 4. i left the house at on a warm texas morning(round 80 degrees) by the time i made it to chrono, it was near 100 in LA. I wasnt too worried about making major as i chronoed before i left.

a comfortable 171 power factor..at 80 degrees. at the match where it was much hotter, i was down to 166.0

That was with precision 185s and 5.0 grains WST Win small mag primer at 1.135 oal in once fired speer brass.

Temperature sensitivity and the pressure signs i was getting wasnt worth the soft shooting side of it. For me Win 231 shot as soft, was less temp sensitive and i can load to 190 power factor w/o pressure signs with the black bullets.