Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Uspsa Match. Does It Hurt?

xuxupecheur

I'll be shooting my first match this coming Sunday at Guthsville in PA. I'm an accomplished IDPA shooter (I've accomplished....NOTHING !) and just love shooting wheelies.

I'll be using my 4" 625 for now (can see a 5" in the near future). Just ordered a new cylinder release latch from Pinnacle in PA (I assume they are legal in USPSA, aren't they?)

plenty moonclip holders, a fancy Speedsec holster, CR belt and that's it.

According to the match director they'll be 7 stages (3 speed, 2 whatever, a long one and a classifier) They will also have a pure classifier in June. I'll not get classified until then, right?

Opinions? Suggestions?

It's so scary :( !!!

xuxupecheur,

Welcome to USPSA shooting.

Remember to relax and have fun.

the new cylinder release you ordered should be fine.

before you go changing too many things on your gun and buying a bunch of gear you don't need, you may want to shoot a few matches first to find out what it is that you really need to match your ability and shooting style. This will help you avoid a little of the financial pain.

If you have been shooting IDPA then the transition to USPSA shooting should not take long.

DVC

Renny

xuxupecheur,

Welcome, and glad you brought your wheel gun.

It should be a good time. I agree that you should tell them when you get there it is your first time. They might want to walk you through. Absolutely, everyone there will want things to go well for you. We all need more friends.

I also agree not to buy equipment until you have found a true need for the equipment. If your shooting a Revo, you probably aren't a Bells & Whistles kind of guy anyway.

Good Luck,

Jim

xuxupecheur: Great to have you aboard the USPSA Revo train! I've shot a number of different disciplines over the years, and I'll tell ya, I have never found any of them quite as challenging and engaging as USPSA/IPSC with a wheelgun! You're going to enjoy it.

I am a true revolver fan from the git go and this weekend I just shot my first match with an auto. Boy I wish I had my revolver, still had fun. Just relax and and have fun and as michael said run and shoot don't hide and shoot.

The biggest difference between the 2, in USPSA you can concentrate on the course not the rules. There is no subjective FTDR in USPSA. So let the creative juices flow, with 6 rounds how can you best do a course.

Great to have you aboard.

I'll be shooting my first match this coming Sunday at Guthsville in PA. I'm an accomplished IDPA shooter (I've accomplished....NOTHING !) and just love shooting wheelies.

I'll be using my 4" 625 for now (can see a 5" in the near future). Just ordered a new cylinder release latch from Pinnacle in PA (I assume they are legal in USPSA, aren't they?)

plenty moonclip holders, a fancy Speedsec holster, CR belt and that's it.

According to the match director they'll be 7 stages (3 speed, 2 whatever, a long one and a classifier) They will also have a pure classifier in June. I'll not get classified until then, right?

Opinions? Suggestions?

It's so scary :( !!!

We guarantee fun!! You will shoot one classifier stage and that will be sent in to USPSA as part of you first 4 classifiers. After you shoot the match in June, 4 more classifiers will be sent in and then you will get a classifaction card from USPSA. This all assumes that you are either a USPSa member ior join at the match. The classifications are updated 1x per month (about the middle of the month) so you may get your card in June but it is more likely to be July. Any ??, just ask us at the match.

Marks (Pinnacles)cylinder releases are legal in USPSA as far as I know but it would be best to check the equipment rules for revolvers. Many of us use them in ICORE including me.

See you at the match, rain or shine.

Mike

Marks (Pinnacles)cylinder releases are legal in USPSA as far as I know but it would be best to check the equipment rules for revolvers. Many of us use them in ICORE including me.

They're fine. No problem. Haven't seen an equipment hassle yet in Revo division, doubt if I ever will. The whizz-bang hi-torque stuff is absolutely no advantage anyway in this game. Most of the ROs don't know the rules for Revo, and the shooters don't care (as long as it has iron sights and you only fire 6 shots between reloads).

It's great not to have to get your panties in a wad over a 1mm variance in magazine length, or a shiny spot under the trigger guard that might be a non-factory external modification....

Julio,

Look me up when you get to the match, I'll be the guy running around like a one armed paper hanger!BTW

Most of the match is 6 shot neutral. There shouldn't be too many standing reloads except for the three 8 round speed shoots. I can't help you out there, the score sheets are already printed.

Longest stage is 32 rounds - plan accordingly. Let me kow if you need extra moon clip carriers. I used to (and will again) shoot a 625.

Sincerely,

Eric Budd

(610) 509-4989

(The match should be 7 stages: 3 speed shoots, 2 medium courses, 1 large course, and on classifier. If enough shooters show up, I'll ad a steel challange stage as an optional (free) side match)

Thanks for all the replies, cannot wait till Sunday !!!

How about my new avatar? That's me few years ago.

Draw your conclusions... ;)

Julio

Well, I did it ! I'm no longer an IPSC virgin mom ...

Quite a different game indeed; however, same great people found in other disciplines.

Great job by Eric Budd and his crew for the first ever USPSA match at Guthsville in PA. Celebrities like Larry Houck drove up from WV, and when I thought I was safe, Mike Carmoney's name came up. During the shooter's meeting in the announcement section, Mr. Houck mentioned the upcoming Summer Blast event and the record setting attendance of 22 revo shooters. He attributed the recruiting to Mr. Carmoney and Mr. Walsh. One note: I was the only revo shooter yesterday (and wasn't pretty)

Final thought: Had lots of fun (despite 3 hour sleep and 80 mile drive)

and certainly shall return !!!

By the way, Eric will hold an ICORE match on 5/28 at Guthsville as well.

Edited by xuxupecheur