Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Does It Cost You To Reload .45 Acp

IBJanky

I've never reloaded before but lately I've been doing a lot of reading and now I'm seriously considering reloading.

A big factor in my decision to reload is the savings over buying factory ammo. How much are you guys saving by reloading your own .45 ACP?

If I do decide to take the plunge, I'll probably get the Dillon 550B.

How much do you guys get your components (brass, primer, bullet, powder) and where's the best place to get them?

I'm probably going to use the economical (cheaper!) stuff myself, nothing fancy in the bullets, brass, etc.

A price breakdown per component would be great, it'd make things easier to calculate. Don't forget to include any shipping/tax/hazmat fees.

Thanks for helping a reloading newbie out... any input is greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by IBJanky

It is best if you can find somwhere local for components to avoid shipping and hazmat fees. Try gun shows if they are in your area. Ask some of the more expernced shooter that you shoot with where they get the supplies. buy in bulk for better deals. I have added what I use and what I pay on average.

Bullet 200 gn LSWC 1000 $39 $0.039

Powder 6.4 gn WSF LBS $13 $0.012

Primers WLP 1000 $14 $0.014

$0.065 per bullet

$6.47 per 100

I buy about 3000 once use brass a year fpr $55. just save and reload as much as you can. Of course you will have additional expence is brass cleaner medium, polish ect.

With reloading you will only save on the cost per bullet, but you will just shoot more still spending the same amount money. Best thing is you can taylor you loads which will be softer to shoot than factor.

MDA

What Flex said. I've saved so much money reloading my .45ACP that my reloader paid for itself really quickly... and so I can afford to spit lead downrange for pleasure without TOO much concern for cost. Yes, the cost of lead/bullets/shipping did go up last year, but it's STILL better than buying factory ammo in .45ACP... plus I can custom-charge cartridges rather light and save on powder, too, actually. I'm buying the bullets thru a friend from West Coast Bullet (200gr SWC, jacketed). I'm still using the same brass that I was a year ago and so brass is not really a factor. I buy powder only when it's on sale and buy primers either on sale (which is seldom) or con a friend into picking me up some whenever he drives to Salem to buy that sort of thing at the warehouse prices up there.

Costs will varey depending upon the type, and brand of componets you choose.

45ACP brass has long life, in fact start saving brass now and by the time your Dillon gets here and is set up your have enough to get started.

Group buys, gun shows,venders at matches can save money on components.

Ask around at local matched and you will find plenty of shooters who would be willing to help!

My cost for 100, 45ACP 230gr, Zero's JRN using VV 320 powder and winchester primers is

right around $9.00. that more than a 50% savings.

Check this out. :D

Handloading Cost Calculator says about .07 per round for me and my current load. Precision Black Bullets, Win. Primers and Clays.

Thanks for the link, Merlin. Very deluxe! Any more trick links up your sleeve?

JW

Someone here on the Forum posted that link and another good one with similar info. If I recall there was a lot more good info in that thread. Looked a while but did not pull it up. I am sure someone else will remember some key words and find it in a search.. If I recall it may have been Flex who posted one of the links...? :huh:

• 5 months later...

it was shooting 45 that forced me to buy my first Dillion. I payed for it in short order. It was great. I could have just shot my 9mm, but I love the feel of the 45. I run around 7 to 10 per round but that is using scavanged brass. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of brass so I am not sure what the price on that would be.

just jump into reloading

it will be good for you

hiro

Best prices I've found for powder and primers are at Powder Valley. Beats the socks off of local shops and gun shows.

www.PowderValley.com

If someone knows a cheaper route, please chime in.

Bill

I believe it is:

www.powdervalleyinc.com

;)