Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Titegroup To Make A .45 (correctly) Go Pop?

jkrispies

I'm using 4.5, I'd better chrono soon!

(230 Winchester JHP is what I use)

FM

I used 4.6 under 230 Rainier plated and it ran 168-170. So depending on the relative speed of the barrels, a trip to the chrono might be in order!

Ed

230gr Billy (RNL moly coated) pushed by 4.3gr Titegroup yields me ~170pf. It was sensitive; going from 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4 changed PF 160 to 170 to 180.

I just chrono-ed 230gr Rainier RN plated at 168 with 4.4gr (although I also shortened the OAL and reduced crimp compared to the Billy Bullets).

All from a 5" Para P14-45.

Lee

The main problem you are going to have with TiteGroup & lead is smoke & residue around the muzzle. TiteGroup is also snappy & loud Vs Clays.

I can live with a little residue if that's the worst I have to worry about. The main reason I'm thinking of Titegroup is because I've got a crapload of it, and I figure that it'll be a good powder for my "good enough for now" practice load while I experiment with different components till I find the recipe the gun likes the most.

BTW, I've also got a couple pounds of Red Dot that was given to me by a guy who got out of reloading. I have no idea how old it is, but it's most likely still good. Does anybody recommend that rather than Titegroup for a 230gr LRN?

The main problem you are going to have with TiteGroup & lead is smoke & residue around the muzzle. TiteGroup is also snappy & loud Vs Clays.

I can live with a little residue if that's the worst I have to worry about. The main reason I'm thinking of Titegroup is because I've got a crapload of it, and I figure that it'll be a good powder for my "good enough for now" practice load while I experiment with different components till I find the recipe the gun likes the most.

BTW, I've also got a couple pounds of Red Dot that was given to me by a guy who got out of reloading. I have no idea how old it is, but it's most likely still good. Does anybody recommend that rather than Titegroup for a 230gr LRN?

head up to the top of this page, hit 'search', and enter "230gr and lrn" (without the quotes) and enjoy the reading!

later,

Chuck

head up to the top of this page, hit 'search', and enter "230gr and lrn" (without the quotes) and enjoy the reading!

later,

Chuck

Hey, that was the ticket! I don't know why I can never get the search functions to work right on these discussion sites.

It's sounding like 4.5ish grains of TG is the ticket... although I might be best served to go buy a pound of straight Clays to do a side-by-side comparison. It would be seriously cool if the TG works out at that load, though, as I like to run my 9's a little fast (they're at 4.4grs of TG right now) and that would allow me to use the same powder and powder measure setting for both calibers! Woo-hoo!

How about just getting a current loadbook and a chrono? Works for me.

Oh, they're sitting on the loading bench. :rolleyes: The loadbooks say the same thing as you guys, but as the son of a mechanic, I like to hear it confirmed from real people rather than engineers! B)

Oh, they're sitting on the loading bench. :rolleyes: The loadbooks say the same thing as you guys, but as the son of a mechanic, I like to hear it confirmed from real people rather than engineers! B)

Yeah, but somone else's load in your gun may not give the same results. That's a fairly dicey proposition with fast powders like TG.

I have recently done some experimenting with both Titegroup and Clays.

The load I settled on was 4.7 titegroup behind 230 gr FMJ. for about 172-174 PF.

Clays was clean, soft recoiling, and accurate.

My only complaint was the slide cycle was very slow and lazy.

Titegroup was even more accurate, soft shooting and had a snappy lock time.

Tls

Real person and engineer. (Does that make me more or less credible?) <_<

Yeah, but somone else's load in your gun may not give the same results. That's a fairly dicey proposition with fast powders like TG.

I'm talking about a real-world confirmation of the loadbooks before I load my first round, rather than depending on loadbooks alone, guys... jeez...

I have recently done some experimenting with both Titegroup and Clays.

The load I settled on was 4.7 titegroup behind 230 gr FMJ. for about 172-174 PF.

Clays was clean, soft recoiling, and accurate.

My only complaint was the slide cycle was very slow and lazy.

Titegroup was even more accurate, soft shooting and had a snappy lock time.

Tls

Real person and engineer. (Does that make me more or less credible?) <_<

It probably makes you a superior engineer! ;)

Interestingly, from all the reports I'm reading (yours included), the bullets are flying a decent amount slower than what the loadbooks are claiming. Hodgdon's says that 4.8 of TG is the max load and should be putting out a power factor of 188.

I used 4.6 under 230 Rainier plated and it ran 168-170. So depending on the relative speed of the barrels, a trip to the chrono might be in order!

Ed

After reading all of this I want to try Clay's.

TG was soft but Ididn't feel like the N-320 that I really liked.

I may just use my SS for steel matches.

FM

"Interestingly, from all the reports I'm reading (yours included), the bullets are flying a decent amount slower than what the loadbooks are claiming. Hodgdon's says that 4.8 of TG is the max load and should be putting out a power factor of 188."

My experience with Titegroup is limited, but nothing I,ve seen would lead me to expect that kind of velocity from 4.8 gr (in my gun).

The first time I chronographed it I got around 750 fps out of 4.7 and 780 from 4.8.

However that was on a cool day (low 50s).

On a warm day I got about 776 out of 4.7 , I didn't check 4.8 but would have expected it to be around 800 to 810 fps. That gets you 184 pf.

Might be possible to get 188 out of a faster barrel on a hot day if the stars, moon and planets are all in proper alignment. B)

Tls

Edited by tlshores

OK, newbie question, I am taking it that these Chrono's where done with 5" Govt barrels, How would these loads and recipes do in my 4.25" Colt Commander Barrel?

Big Rob

Edited by BigRobbieRob

OK, newbie question, I am taking it that these Chrono's where done with 5" Govt barrels, How would these loads and recipes do in my 4.25" Colt Commander Barrel?

Big Rob

Rob - Every gun is different, but you'd probably lose 25-50 fps.