Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Icore Gun, What Possibilities Aside From 627?

RodeoClown

I'd like to shoot ICORE, but I'd like to shoot a revolver with a full underlug, so the 627 won't be the gun for me. Is it possible to get an 8 shot cylinder for a 686, or maybe another similar style revolver?

Another idea I had was to maybe use a seven shot 686 ... how important is that 8th shot really, if you're willing to practice and shot decently?

Feedback and imput much appreciated!

I'd like to shoot ICORE, but I'd like to shoot a revolver with a full underlug, so the 627 won't be the gun for me. Is it possible to get an 8 shot cylinder for a 686, or maybe another similar style revolver?

Another idea I had was to maybe use a seven shot 686 ... how important is that 8th shot really, if you're willing to practice and shot decently?

there are early, used 627 Miculek models out there, with the full underlug. If you are using the 8th shot, you aren't doing well, but, nobody has ever complained about having it

Like Underlug said, there is the 627 V-comp model it has the extra weight under the barrel.

As for the 8th shot it is nice to have the extra shots on an unlimited shot stage (make up shots) moving targets, and if you push to hard (misses) shooting steel.

Not to be a smart ass.......(some tend to think so though)....

Ever hear of a Smith & Wesson Model 625? 5 inch full underlug barrel ;)

The 625 is optimum for USPSA/IPSC, but you would probably want to shoot in the six round category in ICORE and would be giving up some muzzle lift to the .38s. But, the six shooters get a ton of respect from everyone at an ICORE match

uote]

All ICORE stages must be 6 round neutral as required by the rule book. Having 7 or 8 shots on hand for 6 round neutral stages can be very handy, however, if you're using that 7th or 8th round very often, somebody will be beating you just as often shooting the correct number of rounds.

What I see at the limited number of ICORE matches I attend are alot of unfired ammo being dumped on the ground from the winners 7 and 8 shooters :P

If I were buying an ICORE only gun, it would be an 8 shot 627. B)

Rodeo, As you have a 686 already, Why not use it? You can use speedloaders, Safariland comp III's or the Jet Loaders. Jet loaders are my choice if you do not already have enough. I think it cost about $100 to have the cylinder cut for moonclips. Moonclips will take away the disaster factor, (one under the star), and you get all your brass back. With the long brass of the 38 special i like the speedloaders better. But you can be competitive with the 686 in either case. There chould be a few ICORE matches near you in California. I have two to choose from where I am.

Bubber,

Unfortunately, I can't use the 686, as it's a 686-P, so I'd be in open class with that gun.

Thanks for everybody's feedback ... I'm out looking for that old style Miculek 627 ... if I understand correctly, that one has a full underlug ... anybody maybe have one for sale? ... if anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them ... one possibility, if I can't find that 627, maybe a seven shot 686 ...

Bubber,

Unfortunately, I can't use the 686, as it's a 686-P, so I'd be in open class with that gun.

Thanks for everybody's feedback ... I'm out looking for that old style Miculek 627 ... if I understand correctly, that one has a full underlug ... anybody maybe have one for sale? ... if anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them ... one possibility, if I can't find that 627, maybe a seven shot 686 ...

Try TKCustom (www.moonclips.com), they might have some. S&W still lists them as being made on the Performance Center part of their website.

Bubber,

Rodeo, What is the -p designation on the 686. I'm not really up on the different models of the L frame.

Bubber,

Rodeo, What is the -p designation on the 686. I'm not really up on the different models of the L frame.

Bubbers, the barrel of the P looks like the back of your underwears

Bubber,

There are things I don't want to know...

Bubber,

I Can't see the back of my underwear. H$!! I can't even see my feet.

Here in the big city, we wear clean underwear everyday. However, I was under the impression that out in your part of the state, you either go commando, or only wear your underoos with your Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. :blink:

Edited by Double Action

Here in the big city, we wear clean underwear everyday. However, I was under the impression that out in your part of the state, you either go commando, or only wear your underoos with your Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes. :blink:

I thought "commando" was a hard core bicycler term.... :ph34r:

I thought "commando" was a hard core bicycler term.... :ph34r:

... thread drift? ...

Bubber, p- means ported ... it has a little hole right in front of the front sight.

A couple of points .....Expressed purely of my opinion only.

If money is not an object, buy an 8 shot in what ever style, if the style of barrel is a concern put in a custom barrel or whatever blows your skirt up yourself.

If money is a small concern, settle for an 8 shot that was production, like a V-Comp with the full profile barrel (removable comp helps to swith from open to iron sights as well), a 627 with the lighter barrel, or the 627 .38 Super for an even lighter version again.

If money is more of a concern I would go a 686+ as previously mentioned and have it moonclipped. I picked up a brand new unwanted IRC prize gun last year for $400.

The 7th and 8th shots aren't necessary for ICORE, but I found when I went to the 8 shot from my old 586, I found confidence in the fact I could risk those faster splits as I could back up if I needed to, with the 586 I was never brave enough to push myself like that, in case I had to go to the reload.

As an example Jerry M used a 8 shot with a full underlug 6" barrel for the last few IRC matches that I attended.

The 8 shots do carry a down side, like after only shooting an 8 shot revo for 3 years straight, going back to a 6 shot for the IPSC nationals you may find the first couple of stages you have the ...bang,bang..bang,bang...bang,bang...click,click error arise its ugly head ......repeatedly .... not that this just happened to me last weekend or anything. :blink::D:P

A couple of points .....Expressed purely of my opinion only.

If money is not an object, buy an 8 shot in what ever style, if the style of barrel is a concern put in a custom barrel or whatever blows your skirt up yourself.

If money is a small concern, settle for an 8 shot that was production, like a V-Comp with the full profile barrel (removable comp helps to swith from open to iron sights as well), a 627 with the lighter barrel, or the 627 .38 Super for an even lighter version again.

If money is more of a concern I would go a 686+ as previously mentioned and have it moonclipped. I picked up a brand new unwanted IRC prize gun last year for $400.

The 7th and 8th shots aren't necessary for ICORE, but I found when I went to the 8 shot from my old 586, I found confidence in the fact I could risk those faster splits as I could back up if I needed to, with the 586 I was never brave enough to push myself like that, in case I had to go to the reload.

As an example Jerry M used a 8 shot with a full underlug 6" barrel for the last few IRC matches that I attended.

The 8 shots do carry a down side, like after only shooting an 8 shot revo for 3 years straight, going back to a 6 shot for the IPSC nationals you may find the first couple of stages you have the ...bang,bang..bang,bang...bang,bang...click,click error arise its ugly head ......repeatedly .... not that this just happened to me last weekend or anything. :blink::D:P

Some threads were ment to be missed!

"As an example Jerry M used a 8 shot with a full underlug 6" barrel for the last few IRC matches that I attended."

Not to hijack the thread but since this was brought up;

Dave,

Where did Jerry get a barrel like that? It looks very much like my 586.

The only other time I have seen an 8 shot like that was one that Jason Pettit owned.

Thanks

Renny

Since I don't own a round gun that holds more than 6 rounds, all I've ever used for ICORE have been 6 shooters. I shoot my 610 and shoot it pretty well. The 627 is a bit cheaper to feed, but I still use my 610 mostly from a practical standpoint. It's what I have, it is set up already for moons, and I shoot 40 S&W for production, L10, and Limited in 2 other guns. Not having to load another caliber is a good thing. In fact my Sig 229 likes the minor ammo I shoot for ICORE.

Vince

"As an example Jerry M used a 8 shot with a full underlug 6" barrel for the last few IRC matches that I attended."

Not to hijack the thread but since this was brought up;

Dave,

Where did Jerry get a barrel like that? It looks very much like my 586.

The only other time I have seen an 8 shot like that was one that Jason Pettit owned.

Thanks

Renny

If I remember correctly JM's full underlug 627 is a one-off gun (well maybe 2-off cuse he

has a backup) The first barrel was a 6.5 inch 6 shot 627 barrel that he slab sided and

ported, what he calls his "Black and Decker" gun. Probably the same deal for his other 627.

(Oh ?.... and I think I'm the wrong Dave you asked but since I knew the answer I thought

I'd post it)

thanks for all the input!

I've decided to buy an old style Miculek 627 8 shooter, the one with the full underlug barrel. But it seems hard to find those. Does anybody have one they might want to sell?

Sorry Rodeo clown, if you want a full underlug 627 you'll have to build one :(

I've never seen a full underlug 627 8-times cataloged but I could be wrong.