Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ced 7000

shred

They have an external battery pack that is optional. It sells for $11.95, and uses 2 AAA batteries. The web-site says this battery pack not only runs your timer after the rechargeable battery gets too low, but it also recharges the internal battery at the same time! :blink:

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object700

Sounds pretty awesome to me .......... I ordered one yesterday. CED says it is back-ordered and should ship next week. <_<

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shipped the timer back on Tuesday. New one arrived on Thursday with a letter stating they tested it and it was good to go. Really cool features. Only thing they didn't think of was the use of the skins and the external battery...it is a no go there. Other than that seems to be just about the perfect timer.

It is a sweet timer! The Owner's Manual threw me off. It said to hold the Start button to turn it on when it's actually the clear button. I've been trying to run the battery down all week and it just won't die!! I'm pretty impressed with it.

KJ

The specs from the website show the following about the beep:

Beep volume and frequency: 110db+, 25.000HZ

I read that to be 110 db at 25 hz That should be quite the ground shaking sound, not to mention that it is right at the lower threshold of hearing!

Even if it is at 25,000 hz it is out of hearing range as well.

I'm sure it is a hearable frequency but we have a couple of guys who have a hard time hearing a high pitch beep.

Is the beep a good loud, normal tone?

TIA

dj

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine yesteray, and all I can say is ... WOW! It has more features than a Swiss Army Knife. The only thing they forgot is a place to write down some notes about your practice session, or the stages in a match, somewhere on the back (can you say integral voice recorder?)

I havent tried it yet, but I think I'm really going to like the Spy Mode & the Stop Watch mode as well. The multiple string (10) memory is going to be a God-send when someday in the future you forget to write down the last shooters time, and start a new shooter. Simply review the last 9 strings and wa-la! No more re-shoots.

Lots of attachment options also. I ordered a retractable neck cord, not realizing the unit comes with a standard neck cord, and a wrist strap. Each have a detachable clip so you can take it off and hand it over to someone else. So unless you want a wrist BAND to wear the timer like a watch, there is not much reason to order extra attachments.

It seems these little guys are flooding the marketplace at this time. I saw Dave from Target Barn had them for sale at Area 8, and I saw at least one young RO using one for a match timer. I hear Jeff got a whole mess of em for the Targeting Ed. match this weekend, so get ready to see these things for yourself reall soon.

PS I will be using mine tonight during practice so if I will let Y'ALL know how that goes later! B)

How does Spy Mode work?? Also, is there a "Comstock Go" feature like the Mk-IV - ie, multiple start signals adding up on the same string??

Just curious - this timer looks really attractive to me, right now.... ;)

I had the opportunity to try 3 different 7000's at Area 8 this past weekend. Nice timer, lots of features and I could not hear it - at all. Not even a peep and all I was using were EAR plugs. I have a hearing loss (compliments of Victor Charlie in 1967), but I can hear most other timers when they are held close. In my case I suspect that the culpret is a tone at 2500 Hz.

I post this for those of you with similar hearing loss.

Yes, sorry to say for those with any serious level of hearing loss it may not work as well as another brand. However I grew up in the 80's listening to rock music turned up to 11, have experimented with shooting BIG GUNS sans ear-plugs, and I served on an Artillery unit during the 90's in the Army. I feel I have a certain amount of hearing loss, and yet I still have no problem hearing this little timer's beep. I agree it could be a tad louder. It really needs a Low / Med / High buzzer, instead of just the Low / Normal that is provided.

Anyways the Spy Mode works by turning off the buzzer, turning the microphone sens. up, and switching to instant start mode. So when you are watching another shooter, you can press your start button when you hear the beep of the REAL timer, and still record all his / her shots (splits / trans / etc.) Pretty cool.

PS YES it does has Cumulative Comstock timing capabilities like the MKIV

I had the opportunity to try 3 different 7000's at Area 8 this past weekend. Nice timer, lots of features and I could not hear it - at all. Not even a peep and all I was using were EAR plugs. I have a hearing loss (compliments of Victor Charlie in 1967), but I can hear most other timers when they are held close. In my case I suspect that the culpret is a tone at 2500 Hz.

I post this for those of you with similar hearing loss.

It may have been set to the soft setting, as well. It has two loudness settings, one for practice and one for the real-deal.

H.

:angry: Crud

Well mine came today and all thru the instructions it called it a buzzer, but alas it is a beeper. I have tinnitus and the BEEPER is the same as what is going off in my head all the day long. More that 3" away and cannot discern which is which. Gawd I hate muffs when it is hot!!!

Awesome timer here. I've been playing with it at home, and using it at the range all week, and I havent been able to wear it out. It's great. All the things I love about my MKIV wrapped up in a tiny little package I can wear around my neck! Sweeeeet ;)

OK if you want to buy one, check out the classifieds...

I broke down and bought one from Chuck at Shooters Connection and then what do you know, I have a student show up and give me one a day later as a gift for getting them into the next class. It just showed up today so, $125 and I'll ship it to your door. These things rock, I just don't need 2.

• 2 weeks later...

guys, can it be hooked up with a pc so you can download shot data after a day's practice?

guys, can it be hooked up with a pc so you can download shot data after a day's practice?

Sounds like a pretty good timmer even with the limited field reviews so far.

My only concern is over the internal battery thing. Just how expensive is it to get replaced? I think AA's would have been a bettere choice.

As I understand it it a lithium ion battery similar to what you have in your laptop and new Mobile phones. If you take care of it, it should be good for many hundreds if not a few thousand recharges, depending on how deeply you cycle it. With the rapidly growing popularity of lithium based rechargeable batteries by the time you need a new battery I bet they will be well under $25 if not cheaper.

I got my CED 7000 last week and will get to use if for the first time this weekend at our local match. I am looking forward to running it through its paces.

Later

mcb

I have used mine a couple of times and it does a lot of stuff, however having tinnitus (sux being me) if the timer is more than 10" away from my ears I cannot hear it (it is good with the electronic EARS) I may look up a sound meter and have it checked (yes it is on normal) I may have a bad beeper. I believe that the R-U-Ready timers have a louder beep.

THe Spy Mode leave me guessing, I have tried it and the only way I can see to operate it is to push the Start button when you hear the beep in the match timer that is going to be subjective to each operators reaction time so the outcome is just general.

I had really hoped that the unit would be loud enough to wear on the wrist while using the ZEM plugs but looks like it isn't going to be possible.

After running thru the various menus it is easy to operate even for a ole non tech phart like myself and it does fit nicely in hte pocket when not in use.

PS the battery has not been a problem still reads full on the window

Edited by johnhurd

THe Spy Mode leave me guessing, I have tried it and the only way I can see to operate it is to push the Start button when you hear the beep in the match timer that is going to be subjective to each operators reaction time so the outcome is just general.

On an indoor range, I was getting about 1-2 tenths difference from the scoring timer in termas of the overall run. Worked though for evaluation others reloads, transitions, and I'm assuming mover activation when I use it at an outdoor match.....