Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Or Used

j2fast

As the title says, I wanted to get into limited. The key is I don't want to spend a ton on my first limited gun. I've seen a bunch of used limited guns recently here and on the USPSA classifieds. Then I look at something like the Edge which I can get a number of places for less than $1700 new or less than $2000 with a handful of mods.

So to the question, am I better off sticking some of the used stuff I've seen in the $1600+ range with some mags (and maybe some pouches) or am I better in the long run just to buy a new Edge along with some tuned mags??

Go good used. Once you shoot for a while you'll know more what you really want. For whatever reason, you'll probably end up changing something, even on a new gun. Also, you won't lose to much on a good used gun when you trade up. That is my .02 of advice for the day.

I am the 4th owner of the pistol I use for Ltd. I went used as at most the pistol had 5k from all the owners. It was passed from just about every member on our squad.

edit: I would not pay 1600 for a used gun unless they came with a load of extras like 5 mags and a complete belt set up. At that price buy new.

1300 was my cost for a edge w/ 4 mags.

Edited by Gregory_k

Virgil Tripp has a 6" on the USPSA that seems to be a good price

DAmn the secret is out, I have asked for pictures. So far I have not received any pics yet. That is a good deal though.

Back to topic however.

I went with a used one. SV LDC from a friend who had to quit shooting due to health reason. I bought mine with 6 mags at a very reasonable price. He said about 20 K through it. I have put another 20K the last 2 yrs and it is still ticking with a rare hiccup when I screwed around with the guide rod. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. .

Edited by bulm540

I'd go used. What about a Para? You can get a used P16-40 with mags and some nice mods like fiber optic front sight and usually a trigger job, upgraded components, magwell, etc. for around $1000 or under most of the time.

Shoot it for awhile and decide what you like and then you can lay down the cash for a full custom STI.

Used can be a great buy, especially since a lot of used guns have improvements done already.

Most new factory pistols need a trigger job at the very least, fiber optic sights, grip treatment, hard crome are other popular options.

Unless your buying new "built" pistol from a gunsmith (like Bedell, Brazos, Benney Hill, etc)

with the features you'll like, you can save some cash or get mags & stuff included.

Shop around.........

The difference between a stock Edge and a semi custom gun (I'm using brazos as an example) is around $600. Almost half of that difference can be attributed to hard chroming, which will extend the life of the gun considerably. In addition, you get primo sights, big mouth magwell, drilled and tapped mag release with a mag button, a trigger job, lightened slide, and tolerances to within .001". Just looking at the slide to frame fit is very nice.

Besides all of the above, you get what's probably the most important consideration, which is reliability, guaranteed.

I realize that $600 is nothing to sneeze at but I think it's a bargain for what you're getting.

With that said, I'd eat top ramen (I actually like the stuff) for a long time to get a guaranteed reliable gun as there is not much worse than an unreliable one even if it's 99%.

In short, I'd get a new gun from a reputable smith if you can swing it or a used gun made by a reputable smith.

You guys don't be calling Virgil anymore about MY new pistol.... ;)

Did you get it Merlin? The pics he sent me were beautiful. Super nice guy too.

:D :D :D;)

I have had Limited Gun Fever, for a couple weeks, chatted with a few builders who were more or less gracious about answering some stupid questions, but for now I'm going to stay with my G35....

All that said, I saw that ad, yesterday, Merlin, and had the pictures on my computer @4:43EST. <grin> I'm just too leery of a 6" until I try one. When you get the gun, please take some good pictures and post 'em....the one I was sent were kinda murky.

Both my Lim & Open guns were bought used and both run fine. My Lim. was a VERY lightly used hard-chromed Briley Signature series. You could barely see a scratch in the mag well it was used so little. Cost $1,400 bucks with a 10 round mag. My open gun cost me $1,100 but was a little more used.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you want it (e.g., Dawson .100 fiber optic, contoured grips, Swenson thumb safety, Schuemann barrel, Koenig hammer, Dawson mag well, etc., etc.) it pays to buy used. OTOH, if you DO know exactly what you want or must have, it's cheaper to have it built than to retrofit an existing pistol. When buying a used gun you will almost -- but not always -- compromise on the dream gun.

For a first Limited gun I would not go with a new custom built gun. I did, I got exactly what I asked for and it really is a great gun. The thing is, now that I have a couple thousand through it and experience with the type I would not have ordered it the way I did. Here I sit, I can sell the gun (now it is 'used') and have a new one built to the tune of at least $400-500 or I can just shoot this one the way it is for a while. There is NOTHING wrong with the gun I have, I just made some decisions that a little experience has taught me weren't the best decisions for me. In retrospect I should have bought a decent used gun to blast with for a while, nailed down what I wanted and THEN had my new custom gun built.

Just my opinion....

What does everyone here think about starting Limited with a Glock 35? Add the +5 Base Pads , Magwell, Drop in Trigger, etc. It seems that would be the very least expensive way to get into limited. What say those in the know?

Camp One: Glock shooters love the G35. Great gun for little money.

Camp Two: Glocks are Glocks what ever you do to them.

There are GMs here that shoot Glocks.

There are GMs here that won't shoot Glocks.

I have nothing against Glocks. Actually I like Glocks. Some of my best friends have Glocks. I have a Glock myself....somewhere.

If the grip angle of the Glock suits you go for it. The trigger, no matter how well worked over, is more of a challenge to most shooters than a 1911 type.

If you go Glock spend a lot of your practice time and money shooting a revolver in double action mode, that will teach you to stroke the trigger through without disturbing the sights. The 1911 guys with 2 pound and lower triggers can get away with a lot more error in the trigger stroke than a guy with a Glock trigger but it isn't impossible by any stretch.

I am going to be the one that goes the other way on the others advice. No disrespect guys. :)

I had nightmare experiences with a used gun, until people here told me to man up and get a great limited gun at a fair price that RUNS. After nauseating deliberation (insert retentive here) I went with Benny Hill. I wished I had done that first. Would have saved me mass headaches and a huge chunk of change. Something to be said about piece of mind. A good smiths guns will have good resale if it doesnt work out for you.

I know there are some guns out there that I looked into that said they were this great smiths or that great smiths product, but when I called them and they looked at "their" product they said it was not the gun they had originally built. Caveat emptor.

I was also going to suggest the Glock 35. I shot mine in production for a few matches until the end of last season. Started this season with it set up for Limited. 3 matches into this season and I just finished 5th/18 last Sunday. Man, I'm really liking this thing. I will definitely be using it for Area 1. I'll start playing with my new (used) SV after that.

But if you're not interested in a Glock or other cheaper alternatives to the S_I, I'd say go used. Do your research so you understand what you're looking for. When you find one for sale ask the seller lots of questions. Then, as others have said, you'll learn what you like/don't like, and someday you can have one built to your liking.