Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop Turners, As Seen At Nationals

Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the drop turners or "gravity turners" as seen at the '05 Nationals at PASA Park? I'm interested in getting one.

More generally, I'd appreciate any thoughts on which are the best on the market. So far a little internet research has turned up four different manufacturers, ranging from Nevco Targets' $150 model to Speedwell's for $380, with GT and MGM in between. It would be great to hear from anyone with experience with any of these, or with another brand to recommend. Ideally I'd like to find one that's good and reliable and that offers either adjustable timing or a relatively quick exposure.

Thanks!

Elye A.

Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the drop turners or "gravity turners" as seen at the '05 Nationals at PASA Park? I'm interested in getting one.

Sorry, can't say.

More generally, I'd appreciate any thoughts on which are the best on the market. So far a little internet research has turned up four different manufacturers, ranging from Nevco Targets' $150 model to Speedwell's for $380, with GT and MGM in between. It would be great to hear from anyone with experience with any of these, or with another brand to recommend. Ideally I'd like to find one that's good and reliable and that offers either adjustable timing or a relatively quick exposure.

Thanks!

Elye A.

We have two made by MGM. They're great. They work 100% of the time. There are two exposers to the target or one depending on how you set it. The drop time is not adjustable, but they are 100% reliable and easy to reset. I've seen others that were much more difficult to reset. Sorry, I don't know who made them. One minor point. The tube steel used for the stick holders is pretty soft. Wild shots can be pretty hard on it. That, however, may be the same for everyone else's products too. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, Steve.

I guess one of the questions I have right now is, are MGM's drop turners twice as good as Nevco's, since they cost twice as much? Are Nevco's pretty mediocre? On their website they show a video of the thing in action and it looks a little wobbly but otherwise fine. I don't mind paying more for a nicer piece of equipment, but if I can get something decent for half the price, why not?

I'll definitely think seriously about the MGMs, though.

Thanks, Steve.

I guess one of the questions I have right now is, are MGM's drop turners twice as good as Nevco's, since they cost twice as much? Are Nevco's pretty mediocre? On their website they show a video of the thing in action and it looks a little wobbly but otherwise fine. I don't mind paying more for a nicer piece of equipment, but if I can get something decent for half the price, why not?

I'll definitely think seriously about the MGMs, though.

True. I thought it look wobbly too. Shipping may be an issue with Nevco. FWIW MGM's prices include shipping. I've been thinking about for a windmill. I like the one from Gun Steel, but I can get a 4-arm one locally through Scortch at Double Tap. I'd much rather pick up at a match and save the cost of shipping. Good luck.

Gunsteel has a spring loaded turner which is fast.

MGM ships via post office (slow boat) if shipping charges are an issue, other guys only send by air (double-triple the charges).

R&R ones are very reliable.

barry

+1 on the R&Rs

Plus, R&R make a number of turners with devious options - like ones that you can change from appearing once to appearing multiple times by swapping in a different strut. Plus, most of theirs don't actually "drop" - a weight drops to make the target turn, but the target stays at the same height throughout its movement, which makes it usable in a wider variety of circumstances (eg, you don't have to make sure it ends up behind hardcover at the beginning or end of its movement...)

Bruce

Thanks for the additional suggestions, guys.

Steve, I actually have one of Double Tap windmills, and I'm pretty happy with it. It could be a little sturdier but I thought the price was pretty reasonable, and I like the way the speed is adjustable depending on how you wind the cord and/or set the weights.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll beg to differ on the R & R drop turner. It is not very reliable at all. One of their targets proved so difficult at three gun nats last year the stage was almost thrown out (all shotgun with slugs?) I will allow that wind was a factor but it was definitely far from reliable. Area 3 ran one last year and I received a reshoot because of its malfunction. That was the only malf on our squad but the RO's stated that it definitely wasn't the only reshoot due to the turner. The reset on them is probably one of, if not the most ridiculous designs as well. The weight must be renegotiated back up through the twisted rod all the while the target frame is trying to smack you in the noggin. This is not to say R and R does not make some good targets it is just that this drop turner design sucks.

In my experience MGM targets across the board have proven their reliability and design. In particular their drop turner offers one or two presentations with a drop of only 4 inches. Couple this with the fact that Mike Gibson will absolutely bend over backwards for you in the service area always makes me look towards them first.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn