Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Most Unfair Target In Ipsc

EricW

I just realized something while driving back from the post office. The most unfair target in the sport isn't the TX*, it isn't the windmill, it's...

...the lone swinger that disappears behind hardcover. Show up a second early or a second late to the shooting position and you're going to sit there for the duration. You're stuck with no chance to generate points while the target does a u-turn.

If there's anything that's randomly biasing stage times by +/-2 seconds the lone swinger is it.

I guess if I talked on my cellphone more while driving I wouldn't have time to think about this stuff... :P

I realized how unfair swingers/bobbers are when I saw the supersquad shoot a short course with two swingers (activated by one bobber) at the World Shoot. Max Michel cleaned everyone's clock on the stage and Saul Kirsch had to wait more that 0.5 s longer for the same two swingers :(

It's not just the fact that you have to time them, but also the fact that they can be so inconsistent.

If there's anything that's randomly biasing stage times by +/-2 seconds the lone swinger is it.

I fail to see how swingers are unfair at all. If they are well designed and maintained, then they present the same challenge to every shooter. They are not random.

If you've got access to a stop plate like they use at the Steel Challenge, set up a swinger so it hits the stop plate at the end of the first full swing and activate the swinger with a full sized popper. Plug the stop plate into your timer, press the start button and shoot the popper. Do it 5 times. You'll be surprised how inconsistent a swinger is.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

I fail to see how swingers are unfair at all. If they are well designed and maintained, then they present the same challenge to every shooter. They are not random.

Yes and no. Open swingers are fine. Swingers with partial hardcover that have accompanying targets to shoot at: fine.

The lone swinger with partial hardcover is what I'm talking about. Think about it. Show up to the port 1 second "too soon" and you're committed to sit and wait. 1 second too late and it's the double whammy.

I'm not bagging on the prop. What I was trying to infer was if you're going to present this type of prop, make sure that there's other stuff to shoot at while the prop is doing whatever it does. It's unfair to make a shooter maintain a position with no points to generate while they're there.

Make sense?

To me, this is the very definition of a "circus prop."

Edited by EricW

If you've got access to a stop plate like they use at the Steel Challenge, set up a swinger so it hits the stop plate at the end of the first full swing and activate the swinger with a full sized popper. Plug the stop plate into your timer, press the start button and shoot the popper. Do it 5 times. You'll be surprised how inconsistent a swinger is.

Nolan

Other variables there are the popper, shot placement, wind, power, etc...

Using an old loosely hinged full sized popper set to fall across a cable that pulls a stick out from under the swinger counterweight was the worst offender that I remember. Depending on how the popper settled into it's stop position determined how quickly it fell even when the shots were in the center of the calibration circle. The other big factor was the cable position. If the cable is attached to the bottom of a solid stick the popper has to fall much farther to activate the swinger. Then if the swinger is reset for the next shooter with the cable at the top of the stick the popper doesn't have to fall as far to activate the swinger. Next is how far the stick is set under the counterweight which also affects cable tension/height.

Nolan

Several items Nolan,

The activator stick should be marked with a top/bottom mark so that it always get set the same, It should also have a location mark so that the stick is in the same place each time.

Two, stretch a cable across two suprorts at a given height so that the popper hits it in the same place in its travel each time. Regardless of the poppers condition (assuming it works) it should be the same for all.

As Eric stated also give the shooters something else to do so that they aren't standing waiting if they are early or late, fast or slow.

It makes the stage much more fun.

We have people that come in, hit the activator, do a static or two then the mover and are going away before others even reach the port, Each divisoin and each class sees a stage differently.

Jim

Several items Nolan,

The activator stick should be marked with a top/bottom mark so that it always get set the same, It should also have a location mark so that the stick is in the same place each time.

Sticks suck. The metal bars with a hinge in the middle work much better and are more consistant.

I have the swinger trigger worked out. Easily tunable for the amount of force it takes to activate it.

Personally, I feel that the rules should expressly prohibit poppers from being used to activate other targets. It's a Rube Goldberg technique that never should have gotten started. I sat a watched a squadmate get hosed at A-1 on a popper activator. Pressure pads or similar spring-loaded devices that activate within 1.0 seconds or less should be the standard for activators.

I thought you were half-joking when you brought this up. I was going to share the most unfair target I've seen in two year...the one I failed to engage on a stage last Sunday. :(

I see the point (I thought) you were going after...either you get the target, you wait, or you take the mikes...with a (guesstimate) 2 second cycle, that makes it a bigger hurt than a lot of the other stuff that gets called "circus".

I certainly don't think swingers are unfair in any way. They just aren't easy for everybody and the way we'd like to think of things happening. Moving targets sure don't make it easy to stay on the sights and feel in control.

Kyle,

We're on the same page. I was kind of joking when I started this, but I did want to make a point. For all the ranting and raving over "circus" props, nobody talks about swinger timing and activation. And this applies to any target that gets activated for that manner.

I have ideas for solutions. They're not exactly cheap, but major matches should be a test of a shooter's time managment skills and shooting skills, not his or her good fortune that the sun, moon, and stars aligned for advantageous prop activation.

I think that clubs putting on Level II and higher matches should *strongly* consider the use of pressure pad activators, other spring-loaded trip devices, and electronic devices as the only means of prop activation.

If USPSA is going to advertise "Safe Fun Fair", then let's make sure it's actually fair.

FWIW...