Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tony's Laws

At a local match today we had a rather large group of first time shooters.

I watched them struggle mightily with some rather tough classifier stages as more experience shooters tried to school them along the way.

It occured to me to list some of the things I learned the hard way.

They may be obvious to more expericed shooters but could benefit others.

1. When the RO says "Do you understand the course of fire"? If you say yes, ... mean it.

Know where all the targets are when the buzzer sounds. If you don't study the COF well enough you will overlook targets and the punishment is severe.

2. When the RO says "Load and make ready" .... be ready.

If you come to the line with an empty or partially empty magazine on your belt, you will regret it.

Also, trying to draw from a locked holster does nothing for your time or your self image.

3. If the start position requires you to move before drawing such as starting from a reclined position, lock your holster.

Unless you draw the instant the buzzer goes off you risk the gun not being there when you do reach for it.

4. Plan your reloads.

Make every effort to load while moving and don't shoot the gun dry.

5. Don't stand flat-footed when engaging targets, keep moving if at all possible.

Sometimes the target is far enough that you have to plant and take aim or you just won't hit it. However, when the target is close enough, shoot it on the move. You don't have to shoot on the run but even a walk is better than stopping.

6. Don't stand and wait on movers and swingers.

It often takes a little time for a moving target to appear. Try to plan your shots so that you can activate the swinger, engage a stationary target and then move to the swinger.

7. Don't burn excessive time and ammo on any one target.

There are times when it is better to just let a target go rather than double your time and blow your reload points trying to take it down.

8. Try to place your shots on swingers as close to the pivot point as possible.

The top of the swinger is moving faster than the bottom. Place your shots accordingly.

Feel free to add your own.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Have a routine - do not vary from your routine! Go through the entire routine EVERY time before you shoot. Include checking your mags your are going to load and - per Short Round - include turning on the dot. Do not vary your routine even if pushed or pressed. Stay with your routine.

The routine is important. ;)

Attitude that I am going to do well, always.

Attitude that I am going to listen to others.

Attitude that I am going to listen to myself.

Attitude that I am going to learn from succes.

Attitude that I am going to learn from mistakes.

And, did I say attitude?

Enjoy what you are doing.

Remember, only about a dozen people in the world make a living doing this. Your chances are better playing pro sorts than shootining USPSA to live off your earnings.

Have FUN! That does not mean that all of the above does not apply, but if you let it go s far that it is more work than your job, you are missing the most important part of this game we all love.

Jim Norman

Nice thread, Tony --

After a whopping 1 year and 1 week as a USPSA member, I still feel experienced enough to add the following things, new shooters (and old!) could be told:

1) Pasting/resetting/tear-down. It's for everyone.

2) The on-deck shooter should be able to have the stage to himself; it's really irritating to do a final walk-thru, only to bump into other shooters deep in the order.

3) I don't even have electronic ears, and loud chatter as I'm ready to start can be distracting. If you're near the line, please talk quietly, or better yet, not at all, during the start.

4) Attitude, as was already mentioned. No one likes "Raging Bull," on the squad -- the shooter who fumes and storms around after every stage....Be able to smile at yourself, and congratulate others.

5) Gear. It must work, and you must have enough of it for the match.

6) Safety -- On stages with doors, or other tricky items to negotiate, it would be helpful if the RO would point out the danger, and maybe demonstrate how to handle the prop in a safe manner, for the new shooter.

My two pasters....

Remember where your trigger finger should be.

Remember the 180.

If you stick your gun into a port to shoot, you have to pull it out afterwards, and that takes time.

Remember the 180.

If you can, get closer to the target before you shoot it.

Remember the 180.

Don't look for the holes on paper, don't listen for the hits on steel. Know from the sight lift if you have the hit.

Remember the 180.

The shortest distance between two shooting positions is a straight line. Even tactically, you don't need to hug cover to use it.

Remember the 180.

Edited by kevin c

1) Pasting/resetting/tear-down. It's for everyone.

+1 on the above and brassing. Saw a guy bring a folding chair to a match and then glue himself to it except when shooting. It pissed everyone off, and when he got called on it, he became passive aggressive and tried to get the guy calling him on it DQed for unsportsman like conduct. Needless to say, there was really loud shooting going on during their conversation and nobody heard what was said to him. ;)

Haven't seen him at a match since. Nobody feels the loss either.

• 1 month later...

The latest law to be enacted:

An extended basepad on a magazine is a must if you have a magwell.

The magazine should be visible with the gun in the shooting position.

I just learned this one the hard way.

Most of my mags are 140mm with extended basepads, but I do have one 126mm with stock basepad.

This magazine is not visible at the bottom of the magwell without turning the gun on it's side.

At my last match I started with this mag in the gun and lost major time on my first reload.

I wasn't looking at the gun when I pressed the mag release and I had the distinct impression that the mag did not fall.

I pressed the mag button again and shook the gun trying to get the mag to come out.

When I rolled the gun up on it's side to see what was wrong I discovered that the mag was already out and on the ground.

This wouldn't have happened with any of my longer mags because I can see them.

Tls

Have a routine - do not vary from your routine! Go through the entire routine EVERY time before you shoot. Include checking your mags your are going to load and - per Short Round - include turning on the dot. Do not vary your routine even if pushed or pressed. Stay with your routine.

...and if you don't have a routine, you should do everything exactly the same way everytime.

Rule #% No whining!

Rule #$ Shoot like you mean it.

Rule #@ THIS shot, not the last one, not the next one, THIS shot, is the only one that counts.

Rule #* You will DO exactly as planned, plan carefully.

David C

• 1 month later...

The long, difficult shot is the same as the short fast one if you don't perform the basics. A miss.

Thank the RO's and set up crew as you help them tear down. A little thanks makes the effort worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The latest law to be enacted:

"What happened on the last stage, stays on the last stage".

Everyone knows that if you tank a stage you have to shake it off and put it behind you.

If you can't do that, you lose focus and put the next stage in jeopardy.

It's tough to do sometimes because disappointment tends to linger when we get mad at ourselves.

I have recently discovered that the reverse is also true.

If you have a really great stage, you still have to put it behind you.

Don't let the buzzer catch you still basking in the glory of that last stage.

Otherwise, you are asking for trouble.

Live in the moment.

The only shot that matters is the one in front of your sights.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

...and if you don't have a routine, you should do everything exactly the same way everytime.

Rule #% No whining!

Rule #$ Shoot like you mean it.

Rule #@ THIS shot, not the last one, not the next one, THIS shot, is the only one that counts.

Rule #* You will DO exactly as planned, plan carefully.

David C

Amen to that.

When you screw up, admit it, learn from it and move on.

You will never move ahead blaming others for your own mistakes.

I have a buddy that still slides into bases during slow pitch, church league softball games. He recently tore his knee up doing so.

Be aware of the risks you take and the rewards associated. There are few if any chicks around to dig any scars earned on range from your believing you should GO FOR IT... Nobody cares who finishes first D in single stack anyway (don't ask me how I know.).

Edited by Sethmark

Don't shoot me.

Don't shoot anyone else.

Don't shoot yourself.

Have fun. Everything else is optional.

BigDave,

I use a similar comment at the safety briefing of each match.

1. Don't shoot me

2. Don't shoot my truck (it's the one with the generator in the back for the fans :surprise: )

3. Don't shoot the RO

and finally,

4. Don't shoot yourself.

So far it's worked real well :cheers:

dj