Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp For Standard Barrels

Icchan

Does anyone make a threaded comp for a standard .580 barrel that allows the use of a standard bushing behind it? I can use an EGW "melt" bushing to keep the aesthetic clean since it follows the slide profile, but what about a screw-on compensator that would go over a threaded barrel in front of that? All the comps I've seen so far either don't specify what they fit, or else only fit threaded bulls or replace the bushing with the big cone assembly.

It's kind of an odd request, but my funding is extremely limited; if I can get one standard barrel and one threaded, comped barrel, I can switch back and forth in my one pistol.

Briley used to have a comp that would fit a bushing barrel without cone, and some others did too (smoking hole for one). I don't know if they're still available, but probably. The comp needs extra meat to hold the barrel threads, so they're less popular in today's short-n-light fest.

Briley used to have a comp that would fit a bushing barrel without cone, and some others did too (smoking hole for one). I don't know if they're still available, but probably. The comp needs extra meat to hold the barrel threads, so they're less popular in today's short-n-light fest.

Sweet. It's a start, thanks! I'd think the short bit of steel in the comp on a bushing barrel wouldn't weigh as much as a bull barrel with a slightly thinner comp, but...eh, who am I to argue, I just want ot shoot stuff.

Thanks Shred!

You can find them on eBay a lot in a search for "1911" but they're mostly .45 caliber ones. Brownells still carries the .581-40 taps and dies you need to use for the comp and barrel so that you don't have to worry about undersizing your barrel by cutting the threads at the standard .575-40 pitch used for cone comps.

• 1 month later...

What caliber?

I have a springfield 1911 in 9mm and was looking at getting a match barrel bushing compensator. Is there any dis-advantage to this type vs. the cone style?

Thanks,

Scott

There is a difference between a barrel bushing comp (which is a fake or copy of a real comp) and a real bushing style comp. The bushing comp will be longer due to it being screwed onto an extended threaded barrel and may weigh a bit more. If needed, you can go back to the stock barrel since the original bushing system is retained.-------The coned comp is a more compact set up and is generally used for most open guns. It can be installed on the stock barrel if threaded. It will require a reverse recoil spring plug which makes it more difficult to go back to a standard barrel and barrel bushing.-----Note that if you are going to install an efficient size comp, it will slow down the cycling of the slide and you will probably have to lighten the slide accordingly.

I'm thinking the hole through the bushing comp is too large ( the barrel has to pass through it ) to make the comp actually work , too large a clearance between the bullet and the inside of the comp lets gasses escape without really directing them properly.

Just .02

Travis F.

I'm thinking the hole through the bushing comp is too large ( the barrel has to pass through it ) to make the comp actually work , too large a clearance between the bullet and the inside of the comp lets gasses escape without really directing them properly.

Just .02

Travis F.

Talking about 2 different things. The bushing compensators on the market are absolutely useless. However, compensators that attach in front of the barrel bushing work the same way that a cone style comp does with the same basic effect. clark32.jpg

This is a picture of the drop in comp kit that we offer in 45 acp and 460 Rowland. The barrel is 5 3/8" long with 1/2" of thread to attach the comp.

Edited by reneet

• 2 weeks later...

There is a difference between a barrel bushing comp (which is a fake or copy of a real comp) and a real bushing style comp. The bushing comp will be longer due to it being screwed onto an extended threaded barrel and may weigh a bit more. If needed, you can go back to the stock barrel since the original bushing system is retained.-------The coned comp is a more compact set up and is generally used for most open guns. It can be installed on the stock barrel if threaded. It will require a reverse recoil spring plug which makes it more difficult to go back to a standard barrel and barrel bushing.-----Note that if you are going to install an efficient size comp, it will slow down the cycling of the slide and you will probably have to lighten the slide accordingly.

So that means if I get an extended threaded barrel with a comp on the front, I will have to lighten the slide? Just a question not being pushy but springfield sells a "Fit & install custom bushing style compensator & match barrel" for 600 (YIKES) but they don't mention anything about lightening the slide. Do you know if I got this one wether I could take the barrel out and switch between the two?

Thanks for ALL the help,

Scott

Edited by spetrola

After re-reading the first post I see nothing to indicate he wants one of those fake "bushingcomps". The problem is you say you want to use a EGW melt bushing. This bushing meets the outside dimensions of the slide and would not look good with a bushing style compensator because the comp would have to stick out in front of the barrel bushing instead of being hidden under the relief in the rear of a bushing type compensator.

The last question from Scott asks if you have to lighten the slide to use a bushing style compensator, the answer is no you don't at all. Bushing style compensators are popular with steel guns so you tend to see them on lightened slide guns. In fact the bushing style comp needs slide lightening much less than a cone or bull barrel comp.