Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Gear And Equipment

runangun

I'm shooting my first IDPA match in 2 weeks and I'm looking for some suggestions on a vest and holster and any other related equipment. I'm shooting a Glock 22 or I could use a Glock17. I also have a Para LDA 9mm. Someone told me to use a wilderness belt and an Uncle Mike holster? I'm looking for any help on anything related to equipment.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by runangun

I'm shooting my first IDPA match in 2 weeks and I'm looking for some suggestions on a vest and holster and any other related equipment. I'm shooting a Glock 22 or I could use a Glock17. I also have a Para LDA 9mm. Someone told me to use a wilderness belt and an Uncle Mike holster? I'm looking for any help on anything related to equipment.

Thanks for your help in advance.

The belt version of the UM holster is NOT IDPA legal - holds the gun too far away from the body, may also have the dreaded light in the belt tunnel. This holster is specifically mentioned (the only one I think) in the IDPA book as being illegal. UM does make a paddle holster and it should be perfect. UM also makes some decent mag pouches.

If you decide to get into the sport you'll probably change the holster and mag pouches, or maybe not!

Wilderness belt is great, but don't order one just for this - you can use a sturdy (wide) leather belt and do great.

You'll also need a cover garment of some kind. There are lots of options here. Look for something that is stiff enough that it won't bunch up when you yank it out of the way when you start your draw.

You should have 3 mags at a minimum, 4 is really good (Barney mag). I find it easier to 5 or 6 - sometimes you get a stage where you need 5 or 6 rounds out of a mag, and there will be several strings - you're stuffing mags (or asking a buddy) while you're on the line.

Loose fitting pants, probably doing a little squatting. Seen several blowouts and it is not pretty. Non-slip shoes, usually some for of boot or hicking type shoe. tennis shoes are often kind slick on gravel or grass.

Don't spen tons of cash on the gear until you shoot a match or 2. Talk to the other shooters. They will usually let you try out their gear (seems to be culture at club level matches).

Good points from GG, all I ask is, what do you have that might be useful without sinking money into something that you won't have long to get used to and might not stay with anyhow?

Which gun do you shoot the best? G17 or PO? (G22 is last choice because of greater recoil and ammo cost.)

Do you have as many as three magazines for it?

Do you have a strong side holster and magazine pouches for it? Don't worry about the minutae of the rulebook requirements, we don't care about them for beginners.

The "Headhunter Modification" makes the UM belt holster a better paddle holster than the one that comes with a paddle. Take out the bottom screws holding the belt bracket to the holster, thread them back through holster only, and hang the belt bracket over your pants waistband and belt as a paddle. Works fine.

Do you have an old sportcoat, carcoat, sloppy shirt that can be starched to sweep aside without tangling?

Practice dryfire on drawing from under concealment and on IDPA cover requirements. From high cover you must shoot with both feet behind cover relative to the target(s), leaning out to engage them with not over half your upper body and head revealed.

From low cover (a 55 gallon drum is common) you must have at least one knee on the ground, be behind the cover relative to the target and lean to shoot around the side, not over the top. You will nearly always shoot in Tactical Priority which means that you shoot at the targets as you see them around cover, not exposing yourself to an unshot target.

The family might think you are eccentric peeping around doorframes or kneeling behind your easy chair snapping in at the bad guys on TV but you can learn a lot of such contortions dryfire at home and not get dropped in the pot with a loaded gun and have to figure it out on the range with the clock running and score kept.

Good points from GG, all I ask is, what do you have that might be useful without sinking money into something that you won't have long to get used to and might not stay with anyhow?

Which gun do you shoot the best? G17 or PO? (G22 is last choice because of greater recoil and ammo cost.)

Do you have as many as three magazines for it?

Do you have a strong side holster and magazine pouches for it? Don't worry about the minutae of the rulebook requirements, we don't care about them for beginners.

The "Headhunter Modification" makes the UM belt holster a better paddle holster than the one that comes with a paddle. Take out the bottom screws holding the belt bracket to the holster, thread them back through holster only, and hang the belt bracket over your pants waistband and belt as a paddle. Works fine.

Do you have an old sportcoat, carcoat, sloppy shirt that can be starched to sweep aside without tangling?

Practice dryfire on drawing from under concealment and on IDPA cover requirements. From high cover you must shoot with both feet behind cover relative to the target(s), leaning out to engage them with not over half your upper body and head revealed.

From low cover (a 55 gallon drum is common) you must have at least one knee on the ground, be behind the cover relative to the target and lean to shoot around the side, not over the top. You will nearly always shoot in Tactical Priority which means that you shoot at the targets as you see them around cover, not exposing yourself to an unshot target.

The family might think you are eccentric peeping around doorframes or kneeling behind your easy chair snapping in at the bad guys on TV but you can learn a lot of such contortions dryfire at home and not get dropped in the pot with a loaded gun and have to figure it out on the range with the clock running and score kept.

+1

PAT

Once you get to the range. Forget about the timer or being "competitive" fast. Take your time. Get your hits.

Nobody will care if you are slow or drop points. Nobody will forget if you are unsafe.

Check out the equipment others are using and ask them if they are happy with it. Down the road you'll hear what works and what doesn't and make smarter equipment choices without filling up a box full of holsters and mag carriers.

I wouldn't go crazy with equipment purchases if you haven't shot a match yet.

The folks here will give top advice on the gun and rig, probably good enough that you'll be happy forever :D , but I'd just wear a stiff shirt or jacket and check out what everyone else is wearing for a concealment garment. Some of that stuff looks stupid as hell compared to what it looks like on the web, so wait a bit on the "I'm carry a gun, shoot me first" vest.

Thanks guys for all your advice so far. I'll take it to my first match and see what happens. What is some of the equipment you guys use at a match? Is a 5-11 vest good to use for this sport? If I were to use the G17 what would you recommend for a holster?

Thanks Again

You don't say what your competitive background is relative to shooting..if you are experienced with pistol competition, forget about being slow and kick some butt...they will remember that longer than you being the New guy.... :lol:

Thanks guys for all your advice so far. I'll take it to my first match and see what happens. What is some of the equipment you guys use at a match? Is a 5-11 vest good to use for this sport? If I were to use the G17 what would you recommend for a holster?

Thanks Again

My two pennys say skip the 5.11 vest. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives that don't feel like a 20 pound flack jacket in the mid summer heat.

Some good, bad, and truly tasteless alternatives were posted in this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33205

For a holster, kydex is the way to go...

Edited by Middle Man

My two pennys say skip the 5.11 vest. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives that don't feel like a 20 pound flack jacket in the mid summer heat.

+1 on this I bought the 5.11 vest and it is very heavy and very HOT!!!!!

Edited by Rmack

+1 on this I bought the 5.11 vest and it is very heavy and very HOT!!!!!

One of the local shooters took his 5.11 to a local alteration place and had all the linings cut out and the edges sewn for $10. Super light now. Just an FYI

I have a 5.11 vest for IDPA. It's an ok vest, but it is indeed hot and heavy (and not in an exciting way.) The heavy is sort of a plus, as it is also fairly stiff and easy to throw clear of your pistol. The pockets come in handy for extra mags etcI got mine used on Ebay for a fair price, but I would not buy one new for IDPA. I will report back once I make it through an entire Florida summer of shooting. My wife uses her safari/photograher vest (can't remember the brand, but she got it from some outdoor company on clearance) and she loves it. Its much lighter than a 5.11 vest (and cheaper.)

I use a locally made leather gunbelt for IDPA (thick 1 1/2 belt.) I use a Blackhawk holster and mag pouches for my 1911 (local dealer sells Blackhawk gear fairly cheap and of course it gets major "tactical-pimping points" at IDPA events...:D ) however I would steer away from their plastic mag pouches and I am planning to get a Comp-Tech or Blade-Tech Kydex holster ASAP. I use a Blade-tech holster and UM mag pouches for my XD-9 and Sig 220.

Do you carry those pistols concealed? If so, use your concealment holster for a couple matches until you have a good idea of what you want. Same with clothing. Talk to other IDPA shooters as they are generally more than happy to share their thoughts on equipment.

If your like most shooters, you will end up with a drawer/bin/closet/storage unit worth of holsters and other gear.

Thanks Again

Use your carry holster (as long as it is legal - SOBs or shoulder rigs) or borrow one from your buddies - as mentioned above, if they have been doing this a while, they likely have a drawer full.

If you have to buy, a UM paddle for about $25 is the cheapest option. Again, don't get the regular belt model.

I have tried several different holsters over the years, but I like Comp-Tac

www.comp-tac.com . I also prefer a paddle over a belt loop holster. They seem to stay in place better and I like the fact you don't have to take your belt off to get it on and off.

I see a lot of new shooters buying Fobus holsters. They are inexpensive, but don't have any adjustment on the retention. The gun really doesn't want to come out of it. There are a few things you want to stay away from when choosing a holster. Don't buy one that takes a lot of extra movement to draw the gun, get one with adjustable retention that the gun breaks out clean. Also, don't buy anything that it takes two hands to get the gun back in the holster. Kydex is king.

The 5.11 vest is nice, but it is hot and heavy. I have a Campco I got off a prize table that is comparable to my 5.11, but has some really good venting in the back. I also prefer 2 single mag carriers over a double. I like to put an inch in between them on my belt.

The Wilderness belt is awesome. I have worn it for about 4 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

As far as your choice of gun, I'd go with the G-17, unless you are reloading.

If you have to buy things over a period of time, I'd get a good holster and mag carriers first, then the belt, then the vest.

Craig said to use carry equipment. That's not a bad suggestion, but remember, if it is slow and it sucks in competition, what's it gonna be like in a gun fight?