Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Vs. Remington? Which One And Why?

PistolPete

I had a previous post similar to this and I've narrowed a shotgun down to either a Benelli M1 or M2 or a Remington 11-87. I know a lot of people said the Remingtons often break but I know plenty of guys who have been shooting the same Remington since the early 80's without any problems. So lets take the breakage aspect out of this topic and focus on just the guns themselves. I have an opportunity to buy either a Benelli M1 w/pistol grip and extention tube that has hardly ever been shot or an open Remington 11-87. I don't know any of the particulars of the Remington yet. The price is the same on both guns.

I've read that the Benelli will recoil a lot more than the Remington but I don't have any personal experience. Will the added features on the open Remington be a better buy? I want to know what people feel about the guns themselves without all the product loyalty. I know t his is a lot like Ford vs. Chevy but I want to know how each gun compares when it is not broken and is running 100%. What is the advantage to each gun and what are the disadvantages?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

(Moderators- I felt this was a little different of a topic than my previous post but if you feel it isn't then please just add it to my other topic)

The weight difference is considerable, especially when you load them up.

I've had both and they just feel different, but for some reason most of the top dawgs prefer the Benelli, just give Benny Hill a call at Triangle Shooting Sports he will endoctrinate you ;)

I've read that the Benelli will recoil a lot more than the Remington but I don't have any personal experience. Will the added features on the open Remington be a better buy? I want to know what people feel about the guns themselves without all the product loyalty. I know t his is a lot like Ford vs. Chevy but I want to know how each gun compares when it is not broken and is running 100%. What is the advantage to each gun and what are the disadvantages?

I ahve shot the 1100 Competition Master and I have the Benelli. THe Benelli is much lighter which is nice. It does kick and is more ammo sensitive, but I am not real recoil sensitive. I am big and I have been shooting a mossberg pump for years.

I like the Benelli.

Jeff

Talking with a local shotgun shooter last night he said that the Remington will run anything for the most part thru it. Which means lower powered loads can be run thru it where the Benelli requires high powered loads. If this is true then the Remington has a huge advantage. Can anyone confirm or deny this point?

Thanks,

Pete

If your talking about stock off the shelf guns that may be true. A well tuned benelli will run anything a 3 gunner would have any use for. A Benny Hill benelli will run with 3 dram 11/8oz target loads and lo recoil buck and slugs forever with a lot less maintance and bs. Remmy 1100 and 1187 would be way down my list for 3 gun.------Larry

So if I get the Benelli will I need to have the gun tuned to have it work the way I need it to or will it be OK with a small amount of mods? I don't want to have to send the Benelli out and wait a year to get it to work properly.

Call Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports 361-241-1091. Buy the gun thru him. Its weeks not mts and sure not a year. You are going to spend the bucks sooner or later anyway, why not do it right the first time and save the bs and probaly some money too. Isnt that why you shoot a SV instead of a para?------Larry

Edited by lkytx

The truth here is any shotgun (Remmy or Benelli) will need some tweaking before it will run light loads reliably. The rest of the truth is that once a shotgun is modified to shoot light loads reliably, it will get battered a little harder when you run full house loads through it. There is no such thing as a shotgun that will function perfectly with every ammo from poof skeet loads to full house hunting slugs right out of the box without some modification.

The Benelli is definitely a good choice and it may be the right way to go, but the other truth is that an 11-87 is a good shotgun too and they are reliable for a number of shooters (me being one of them). The un-reliability thing is based more on maintenance, or more properly, the lack of pro-active parts replacement coupled with some bad luck. Everything breaks if you use it hard enough. It will break more often if you ignore it too ;-)

Pete, my advice is to try to shoot each type of shotgun enough to see what you like to shoot the best. Then buy the one you like to shoot the best and learn how to feed and care for it properly. No matter what you choose, it really will be reliable if you feed and maintain it the way it needs to be done. That routine is different for every platform. Go with the platform that feels the best when you shoot it, that's my advice.

Let's get down to the nutcutting, the new M2 benelli with my mods on it will BARLEY kick more than a remy & it's because the remy weigh's 2 lbs more. The benelli won't break anything like the remy's will & will run lite or heavy stuff forever with little maintance. It will index faster & is easier to load, it does everything better or the top shooters would'nt be shooting them.

I have an opportunity to buy either a Benelli M1 w/pistol grip and extention tube that has hardly ever been shot or an open Remington 11-87. I don't know any of the particulars of the Remington yet. The price is the same on both guns.

This question could be easily answered with the details of the guns including the price. If the price is the same than the Remington should have alot more of something because the Benelli is a more expensive base gun.

I think if your an entry level shooter you could be happy with either gun. If you want to run with the big dogs than you should be looking at a customized Benelli.

If the Benelli is a M1 Field with a 21" Vent Rib barrel I don't think you could go wrong depending on the price. I think there are a few people that still prefer the M1 over the M2.

If this is to be a dedicated 3 Gun SG than you may not want a 18.5" Rifle sighted pistol grip gun unless it's priced right and could be easily sold later.

YMMV

My two centavos. As much as I love the Browning Gold, go with the Benelli. It is a far superior system compared to the Remington. If you are comparing recoil, it really is a wash. If you have your gun done with a few mods, you will like the Benelli better. No gas stuff to break. In the heat of a match, recoil is really a moot point. You really dont notice it when you are going balls to the wall. In laymen's terms-yes, there is a felt difference in recoil. But not enough to make a significant difference.

MCfooter,

Wrong! nothing more frustrating to a new shooter than having a gun that malfs every other shot. Trust me I have the JP and if John can't make the damn Remmy's run then there is a problem. As far as the maintenance, BS mine is clean and well maintained and it still screws me. 500 dollar shotgun with 1000 in mods by JP and it will be staying home in the safe. Out dept bought in to the reduced recoil and got some 11-87's to go with the 870's. No matter how well they are PMed I've yet to run a qualification where at least 2 of the 11-87's haven't puked and died and that is with less than 100 rounds through it since cleaning.

Let's get down to the nutcutting, the new M2 benelli with my mods on it will BARLEY kick more than a remy & it's because the remy weigh's 2 lbs more. The benelli won't break anything like the remy's will & will run lite or heavy stuff forever with little maintance. It will index faster & is easier to load, it does everything better or the top shooters would'nt be shooting them.

Benny if I remember right my 11-87 has wooped up on your Benelli on many ocassions, & the trigger assembly has never fell out while shooting it, or was that picking it up lol...... :D

The M1 that I'm able to buy from a shooting buddy will only cost me $600. I think this is a good starting point. Right now I won't be running with the big dawgs in any way shape or form so it may not even matter. If in a year from now I decide I need a better gun then I could prob. just sell the M1 and get most of my money back and then buy another Benelli? I'm not being cheap but I did just spend $7000 on a rifle and pistol so I'm having a hard time shelling out another $2000.

Benny if I remember right my 11-87 has wooped up on your Benelli on many ocassions, & the trigger assembly has never fell out while shooting it, or was that picking it up lol...... :D

Thanks for keeping it real Tony.roflmao.gif

I've been told that shooting a Glock against S_I will put you at a disadvantage, this 1100/11-87 vs M1/M2 debate reminds me of that.

Edited by TDean

So I think I decided to buy this gun. What work should I have done to it?

Just send it to a pro and have them work it over. They will know what does and does not need attention. Like so many others - I sent my to Mr B Hill for the required work. :)

+1 on sending the Benelli to Mr. Hill. Nobody will turn it around as fast or make it run as well as he will. He won't charge you an arm and a leg to do it either ;-)

I think this is what I'll do. For $600 for the gun I really can't go wrong. Even if I double that to have it worked on that still isn't a ton of money. I'm going to shoot this gun prob. next week and if I like it I will prob. just buy it. Thanks for everyones help. It's funny to see the lack of response for the Remington guns. Everyone has said a Benelli tuned by Benny Hill is the only way to go... I guess it is similar with the rifles. If you want a great rifle then you get a JP.

Pete