Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun/multi Gun - 3 Shots Per Target?

The only time I have ever seen three shots on paper required from a rifle was when we ran a Mozambique drill (two in the body, one in the upper A/B) as a standards stage at a local rifle match a couple years back.

I see no rationale for this requirement whatsoever unless you sell rifle ammo ;-)

Dave,

I shot a 3-Gun yesterday in Atlanta & they shot 3 rds. ea. at every rifle target to increase the round count for there rifle stages. This was due to the size of there bays & how many targets they could put up. They are limited to how far they can shoot, as you know. I have only done this one other time in the Tn. 3-Gun on one stage. It takes some thought when your use to only shooting 2 per target.

I think some matches like to up the round count by making more rounds per target required rather than having more targets.

At Ironman last years the targets were divided into 5 sections (head, and 4 torso quadrants) on one stage, and the shooter had to put 2 rounds in each section.

Making people think about what they're doing is always good, 3 rounds goes contrary to what most people are used to. I have found a lot of the time where only one shot is required people will still double tap a target

I am contemplating doing a stage at our 2006 match, that will have color coded targets representing the amount of rounds required.

Blue = 1 round

Yellow = 2 rounds

Red = 3 rounds

or something like that.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• 11 months later...
I think some matches like to up the round count by making more rounds per target required rather than having more targets.

At Ironman last years the targets were divided into 5 sections (head, and 4 torso quadrants) on one stage, and the shooter had to put 2 rounds in each section.

Making people think about what they're doing is always good, 3 rounds goes contrary to what most people are used to. I have found a lot of the time where only one shot is required people will still double tap a target

I am contemplating doing a stage at our 2006 match, that will have color coded targets representing the amount of rounds required.

Blue = 1 round

Yellow = 2 rounds

Red = 3 rounds

or something like that.

Now I have to research if I can do this on a USPSA stage.

Rich

Now I have to research if I can do this on a USPSA stage.

Rich

Nope. Scoring targets must be a "typical cardboard color". Under the rifle rules, there is

also the option that the scoring targets can be white!

Bill

• 10 months later...

We have to add extra shots to targets so we could have higher round counts. we are at the mercy of the Range for targets stands, space and props. While I try to mix it up with the rifle, I have, from time to time, forced the shooter to come back to the targets with a round from the handgun.

I try to make as many movements as possible durring my stages as it's never really fun to just stand around and pull the trigger

Edited by UDPL3GMD

One of the things we do to increase number of targets on short ranges cheaply is to use A4/A rectangular targets (8 1/2' X 11"). I print them off on 110# Xerox ivory color card stock (or have Office Depot do it). I then staple 5 of them in a zig zag pattern to a wooden pallet and prop it against a back berm. Works great in a multigun stage (engage the IPSC targets with pistol, the A4/A targets with rifle).

Another (devious) option is to paste the A4/A target on top of a No Shoot target. :surprise:

I have shot local independent matches (i.e. non-USPSA rules set, usually a mix of USPSA, IDPA, and what the MD thought was right) where .223/5.56 had to fire three rounds and .308/7.62 only had to fire two. Typically in that case it was a way of "power factoring" the rifles.

Blue = 1 round

Yellow = 2 rounds

Red = 3 rounds

or something like that.

Our local match did a very cool variation of this,

4 steel targets, each painted a different color, green, blue, red, black,

3 6x6 plywood barricades with 4 ports each...

Each port had a colored pvc pipe at the lower edge corisponding with a target..

You get to barricade 1, port 1, blue pvc , you shoot the blue target 1 time, then the other ports one shot to the color

of the bar.. move to next barricade...

On the following barricades the pattern changes.... It was a really fun stage, it is amazing what that extra few tenths to

look at the color does to your attention to sight picture!!! It was acually a really fast stage...

We have also done the 1 shot, 2 shot, 3 shot, by color to really screw with people, or all reds first, followed by blue, etc..

• 7 months later...

Blue = 1 round

Yellow = 2 rounds

Red = 3 rounds

or something like that.

that gives me an idea for an ACTS stage thanks