Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Stay Around Barry

iweiny

I was surprised and happy to get a slot for the L10 Nationals. So I am looking at plane and hotel reservations. My parents are from Illinois originaly and I have family in the area who are saying I should get a hotel ASAP. For those of you who have gone before what are your recomendations? Quincy or Hanibal?

Are there any hotels which would freak out about guns? Like if we were cleaning them in the hotel etc. I was thinking of booking through the USPSA site.

What about flying with guns? I have read all the TSA regulations but are their any air carriers which are more accomodating? I think I would pay a little extra for a carrier/hotel who was friendly to us and our sport.

Thanks,

Ira

Edited by iweiny

I did a couple of searches. But nothing really came up. At least not like "the Super 8 in Quincy tried to kick me out one year" or "The Super 8 in Quincy was really great when I mentioned I was here for the hand gun nationals". That kind of stuff.

My dad happens to be back there right now and I can get a whole list of hotels which are in Quincy and Hannibal but I guess I am looking more for peoples experience. Other things like which hotels are closest time wise to the range. I thought I read somewhere that Hannibal is actually closer to the range but now I can't seem to find where I read that???

Sorry if this becomes redundant...

Ira

Ira,

Holiday Inn in Quincy is less than 30 minutes to the range --- if you drive fast and smart. At the speed limit and sticking to the interstates/following most peoples directions, it'd probably be closer to 35-40 minutes. We've had no issues at the Holiday Inn the last three years, others have not been as positive in their reactions. I'd probably stay there again.

If you're going by yourself, the closest hotel to the range is the Ice House in Barry --- but there's nothing else around, so you'll be driving to dinner every night. Upside is that if you have a two hour break, you can go home, shower, cool off and return to the range in fresh clothes --- though since the match isn't in July this year, that shouldn't be an issue.....

Never been to Hannibal --- so can't help you there....

Seems like most people fly into St. Louis and drive from there. Would want to avoid flying into Chicago....

Here's a good deal I found in Hannibal. Also supposed to be 30 minutes from the range. Hotels in Hannibal are generally cheaper from what I can tell and Missouri is far more gun friendly.

Travellodge Hannibal Mark Twain through Traveocity $40.99 per night.

Edited by Steve J

We stayed at the new hotel in Hannibal - Quality Inn. They were VERY good to us! Really nice rooms, decent breakfast buffet, restaurant/bar on the property and an indoor swimming pool. We'll be staying there again in 2006!
+1...4 of us stayed there last year, and it was great. $150/night, but we all thought it was worth it. they even let us check in around 9am on day 1 (and after driving all night, we really appreciated that).

2 other friends were staying in some other dumpy hotel initially, but moved to the quality inn after they saw our place.

ETA: the $150/night was for a suite...2 double beds, a rollaway, and a sofabed. i had the rollaway...not bad at all.

Edited by driver8M3

In 2004, staying in Quincy, even the fleabag across from Holiday Inn, was nice with my broken foot. It provided fairly easy access to the hospital.

In 2005, same fleabag hotel, not so good. Pretty sure the room hadn't been cleaned in about a year. Yuck!

Stay somewhere in Hannibal. Missouri has cheaper gas and is more handgun friendly.

Liota

I made reservations at Holiday Inn Express in Hannibal. I stayed at Holiday Inn Express at matches a couple of times last year and liked them.

Do all the awards etc. take place at the range? In the old days everything like that happened in Quincy so everybody stayed there.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

We stayed at the Holiday Express in Hannibal last year and loved it.

Added bonus: Texas CHL is cool in Hannibal. Not so across the river in Illinois.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

4000 MARKET ST

HANNIBAL, MO 63401

UNITED STATES

1-573-406-0300

-Chet

I made reservations at Holiday Inn Express in Hannibal. I stayed at Holiday Inn Express at matches a couple of times last year and liked them.

Do all the awards etc. take place at the range? In the old days everything like that happened in Quincy so everybody stayed there.

The awards were held at the convention center in Quincy. I thought the town had more personality than the outskirts of Hannibal but everything you could need was right there in Hannibal...have Walmart, will travel. Good places to eat breakfast/dinner, gas stations, etc. right there by Holiday Inn.

Hope to see you two there. Marmot452 got a slot, I'm hoping for one on the wait list...can't believe he beat me by 1% - :angry::lol: