Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 9 Spreadsheet

TimWarner

Just to keep it easier to find, I put all the data from the other major 9 thread in a spreadsheet.

I left out loads that didn't list an OAL, except one glock load(short), and loads that didn't explicitly list a bullet type/weight.

If anyone would like to contribute more data, I will update it as I get more in. It can either be posted here, or emailed to Twarner21609@comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~twarner21609/files/major9.xls

Update: 2-22-06

Changed bullet weight to be a seperate column, so now you can sort the whole list by powder, bullet type, bullet weight, power factor, etc.

To do this:

Open the spreadsheet, in the drop down menu "Data" go to "Sort"

Then choose how you want to sort the sheet. This makes it easier to look for loads, and compare.

When checking a load, be sure to highlight the row, by clicking on the number on the far left.

This way you can be sure you're reading the right information all the way across

I also added split panes, so when you scroll down, the headers stay, and as you scroll right for more info, the bullet type/weight stays visible.

Edited by TimWarner

Eventually, when I get around to it, I'll put a seperate sheet on there for Minor loads as well.

There tends to be less data on minor loads, either missing OAL, bullet type, etc. Though with the lower pressures it's not as much of an issue. It would still be a good reference.

What I'm really looking for by putting all this together is a glock-safe(read, 1.150"ish) 115gr major load. Since I've never loaded major 9 before, I thought I would gather as much data as I could and compare to book loads.

I tried some hot 124gr loads and I just didn't like how they felt, but the 115's I've shot feel really nice.

I've got HS-6 and Power Pistol on hand, HS-6 seemed to have the most info available.

So far it seems 8.8gr HS-6 under 115gr Zero JHP @ 1.150-1.155" is going to be what I try next.

Oh, I'm shooting a G17 with KKM barrel and SJC comp. Virgin barrel, until I get the machine time to do 2 TJ holes.

I thought I would gather as much data as I could and compare to book loads.

The books are only helpful if you want to know how far over the published max load you have gone. I spoke with Hogdon about Longshot replacing HS-7. They said that I should be close with what ever I was loading in HS-7. Then they asked what my load was, and like an idiot, I told them...........Dead silence followed by "hmmm, that's a little more than we reccomend". Be careful and work your loads up slowly to your desired PF.

Thanks for putting the data together.

That's cool how you can sort the spreadsheet. Sorting by Details pretty much lines it up by the person providing the data, which means all the same gun.

For my loads on there, all the 125gr and 147gr JHPs are from Zero. The 147 made by Hornady [apparently] gives higher velocities due to a different boat-tail. Personally I didn't care for the 147's because the whole gun jumped around like a Limited gun. All my 115s were the hollowbase Federal FMJ which has the jacket size of a 125 and is identical to one that's made & sold by Winchester. My favorite load is HS6 behind a 115.

Still think that the ultimate Major 9 bullet [for 1911/STI guns] would be a hollowbase 123-125 gr bullet with the jacket size of a 135. If someone would make one...

Hornady bullets have more length @ .355" diameter, the taper isn't until further out. So I assume, this means more friction.

Also, in some short throated KKM barrels, Hornady bullets have to be loaded really short to fit.

The profile on Zero's, and Winchester(that I've seen) have a longer profile, and less surface area at .355"

I added some 38 super data I found with a little searching, I'll get more into it later on.

Also added sheets for 9x21, 9x23, and .40 major, though I haven't started collecting data on them yet.

Select your caliber on the bottom left hand corner of the screen, there are tabs labeled.

• 2 months later...

load infromation, g17 with bar-sto barrel and 2 port comp, 124 grn barry's round nose with 7.4 grs hs-6

OAL 1.150

1373, 1384, 1404, 1377, AVE. 1384.5 171.6 PF

seems to run great, no real primmer isues.

sorry guys. hope i'm not thread jacking here.

cj7: i'm assuming you're using berry's bullets (not barry's). with the velocity you're getting, do you get any jacket/plating seperation? i read that berry's don't recommend velocities in excess of 1200 fps

Edited by yoshidaex

• 1 month later...

8.6gr of HS6 (WW540 actually, but they are the same as far as burn rate goes) gets me 1364 fps under a .355" 124gr JHP. This is loaded to 1.135" OAL over a Federal 100 SP primer and run through a 6" Barsto bbl in a Glock 17L. Solid load for almost 10k now. Lotsa' gas at the ports too :-)

Tim,

Here's my current load.

Gun/barrel: J.L. Hardy Mongoose (commander length) Schuemann AET barrel w/ 2 ports

Bullet: Zero 125gr. JHP

Brass: Winchester

OAL: 1.155"

Primer: WSR

Powder: HS-6 8.4gr.

1377fps, 172PF

Same load with Win. magnum small pistol primer was 1344fps, 168PF.

More experimenting to come with other powders to come. ;)

This is my load for a commander-length Major 9 built by Rob Shepherd. It has a Clark barrel and EGW cone comp. It makes 171PF. Primers are flat, but Beven says if you are shooting Major 9, you aren't making PF without flat primers (using small pistol primers). :)

124gr Montana Gold FMJ

7.4gr N340

1.180 OAL

Winchester Small Pistol primer

.380 crimp (using Lee FCD)

Avg. 1386.2 fps

High Velocity 1388 fps

Low Velocity 1383 fps

Extreme Spread 5 fps

Avg. Deviation 1.4 fps

Standard Deviation 2 fps

• 3 weeks later...

First loads thru new Triangle gun (9mm, Clark 5" bbl w/one blow hole, 3 top/2 side port comp)

Powder Charge Bullet . . OAL

' 3N38 . 8.2gr . MG 124 . 1.160

155 PF and MAJOR white flash.

I'll be trying a different powder....because of the flash (afternoon light).

Edited by TDean

First loads thru new Triangle gun (9mm, Clark 5" bbl w/one blow hole, 3 top/2 side port comp)

Powder Charge Bullet . . OAL

' 3N38 . 8.2gr . MG 124 . 1.160

155 PF and MAJOR white flash.

I'll be trying a different powder....because of the flash (afternoon light).

Yup. 3N38 does that for a lot of people. You would also have to get to 9 gr+ to make

major, and that's a case FULL.

Try HS-6, 3N37, and TruBlue, pretty much in that order.