Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Draws And Reloads

Jake Di Vita

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what you guys think.

What do I think? I think anything I would post following what I just saw would be embarassing . . . . :)

Jake, you are the man!

(Seriously, those of us who are still among the ranks of "human" appreciate you posting this. We can learn a lot watching you who have mastered the skills we seek.)

Jake, that's just smokin. :)

On your reload - are you hitting the button before you start moving your left hand? It sounds like you're moving your hand, followed by hitting the mag release; but you're going so fast it's hard for me to discern.

On your draw - your left hand seems to have a bobble right before you bring your hands together; almost as as if you are bringing it up a little bit high - but again, you're going so fast it's hard for me to tell.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys.

Catfish,

On the reload, I end up hitting the mag release about the same time that my weakhand touches the spare mag. The reason for this is that I have to severely shift the gun in my hands (stock mag release). This is actually the quickest that I can hit it.

On the draw. My weakhand tends to be fairly tense when I am moving it to my solar plexus area (because I only focus on moving my weakhand, never my strong hand). When it got to the reception point I extend the fingers slightly at a downward angle to make sure that the angle of my wrist is enough to control recoil effectively. It is kind of a illusion because I am not actually moving my hand down from the original place it goes.

Hope this helps.

Jake

(because I only focus on moving my weakhand, never my strong hand).

Dude, don't give away all the secrets :lol: It's interesting that you mention this - cause, while my draw is currently sloppy and slow compared to yours, I find the same thing - if I focus on my weak hand, the strong hand gets its job done accurately, and in more than enough time to pace the weak hand... (currently being the operative word... I'm working hard at it :) ).

Looks nice and smooth, to me. What's the par time on that draw?? I'm guessing .80 for the par?? Draw in about .70-.75??

Jamie - as an exercise, try to slap your belly button with your weak hand before your strong hand makes it onto the gun. Work from there. :) I can currently get there and make a "slap" sound on my belly with my weak hand, before I've made a grip on the gun (no, I'm not moving at snail pace, either :) ).

Catfish - one thing to realize as you're watching Jake's reload vids - and that he cements home pretty solidy for me - it's more important how fast and accurate you get the left hand to the mag, and then back up to the gun, than it is how fast you hit the button (to a point, obviously...). Now.... keeping that in mind, go watch that vid on the Limcat site of JJ catching mags out of the gun (w/o the Limcat basepad), and then missing the ones with the Limcat pad. Is it just me... or is he releasing the mag later with the non-Limcat pad??? ;)

1sr of all, I must say I was relieved to see you don't practice in that infamous thong you're wearing in that Front Sight cover Sharyn posted awhile ago. :P:P

No, really. Spook beat me to post the feeling, but I haven't been so impresed with a reload video since Travis'.

Keep up the good work! :)

Now... If I may ask, when ingraining the motions, what technique/visualization/whatver did you use to regrip the gun with a good weak hand grip. I currently focus on being laterally neutral (no sideways canting or yawing the hand) and I visualize "touching" the target with my thumb, to give a healthy forward cant.

Ok, th question I made in my last post still stands, but after some replays of that video and some adapting of what I saw to my style, please allow me to make some humble observations.

As I see it, reloads have 3 critical moments.

1. GO FOR THAT MAG NOW!!!

2. SEE the magwell and the magazine will go there... If necesary, at first make a slight pause "at the gates", don't allow yourself to fumble here.

3. GET TO THE TARGET NOW!!!

The place where Jake's videos helped me more was on moment #3.

I have always had a quick get-to-the-target time, but I sometimes misgripped the gun, due to some tension (usually) or because my technique didn't adapt itself quite right to regripping the gun after a reload, you know, when you have to move both hands to realign the gun.

Now, it should be noticed that I'm currently experimenting with some strong hand elbow position. You may have seen some shooters, usually open division shooters, put ther weak hand elbow to the side, but their strong hand elbow more downwards. Some clear examples of this are Steve Anderson, and Jake himself.

Well, I shoot Standard, but I realized that putting my elbows like that makes me a lot more relaxed, and it is easier to me to make my movements flow with that body/arms geometry.

Oh right... the reload... Well, you may have noticed Jake lifts his gun when dropping the mag. I tried that and it is incredibly easy and smooth to just bring the mag to the magwell and instead of moving it up, move the gun down to seat it! That way my weak hand is a lot more relaxed to regrip the gun efficiently.

Also, if you reload high (I'm still experimenting), when the gun comes down it's just LOVELY how you can place the front sight on target in a swift downward motion...

It's hard to explain, and I don't have a video camera... But just try it...

Thanks for putting these up Jake!!! :D:D

Edited by Pierruiggi

One other thing that's helped my reloads immensely (and I think Pierruiggi might already be doing...). Drill reloads with the most unforgiving platform you can find. In my case, a single stack 1911... :lol: It's really helped me build consistency in positions and angles, and in getting all the little details right - cause there's no room for slop. If you can find one to play with, highly recommended (fight through the inevitable frustration... it's worth it).

Going to a fat gun, the only difference I notice is an initial hesitation upon seating the mag for the first couple of reloads - I find myself thinking "Wow, I'm done w/ the reload? That was easy!!! D'oh, get on target!"....

One other thing that's helped my reloads immensely (and I think Pierruiggi might already be doing...). Drill reloads with the most unforgiving platform you can find. In my case, a single stack 1911... :lol: It's really helped me build consistency in positions and angles, and in getting all the little details right - cause there's no room for slop. If you can find one to play with, highly recommended (fight through the inevitable frustration... it's worth it).

Going to a fat gun, the only difference I notice is an initial hesitation upon seating the mag for the first couple of reloads - I find myself thinking "Wow, I'm done w/ the reload? That was easy!!! D'oh, get on target!"....

Dave's point here is great, for example when I borrowed a widebody limited gun to play with after a match; the reloads seem way easier after having shot a match with a single stack.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

In regards to handspeed. It is largely a genetic thing, but there are a few things you can work on to improve it. A really big one is boxing. There are other drills that I also do that I will post a video of which is incredible for developing handspeed and hand / eye coordination.

The par time set on the draw is .7. The draws are probably coming in anywhere from .63 - .68.

Thanks for the comparison to Travis! That is probably the best compliment I could get as he is one of my heroes in the shooting world.

Pierruiggi hit it pretty well about raising the gun up when you eject the mag. It really becomes a heck of a lot easier to see your target when you do that.

I would say an average reload in a match is anywhere from .8 - 1.0. In practice I've gotten them in the low .6s.

Thanks for the comparison to Travis! That is probably the best compliment I could get as he is one of my heroes in the shooting world.

Ahh, I knew there was a reason for the hair cut ;)

Proof possitive less is more, on the reload too :D

Could you post a reload with a limited gun for those who have to use more arm extension when shooting than open shooters do? Thanks

Can't you just just pretend? Just pull off the C-more. ;) I know there are few "limited" folks that would like to see how bar the high is set, mabe point of hip on the mag for the production guys too.

Open is hard to compare against for the other folks because there is so much less movement.

Beside you can beat Travis to the punch, since his load is open too. Then it will be know as th DiVita reload video in limited/produciton land :D