Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Acp Icore Load

1911 rookie

Hi,

anybody have a good ICORE load for .45 using Clays and a 230gr FMJ? I did a search and it looks like most people use about 4.0 grains of clays to make major. I would like something that is not so major but still fast enough to have good accuracy, not that I am accurate but we don't want to blame the equipment.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi,

anybody have a good ICORE load for .45 using Clays and a 230gr FMJ? I did a search and it looks like most people use about 4.0 grains of clays to make major. I would like something that is not so major but still fast enough to have good accuracy, not that I am accurate but we don't want to blame the equipment.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I tried a 230 LEAD Bullet and it was loaded with 3.8 of clays. It was about 168 PF. If you have a chrony you maight try 3.5 to check. I think the lighter bullet, 200 ror even the 185 hollow base round nose would be the better load in minor, as far as reaching out there 35 yards and beyond. Welcome to the revo side. rdd

Try a Berry's 185gr HBRN with 4.5gr - 4.7gr Clays. Just started working with this bullet myself and the accuracy is incredible and IMO has a more desirable recoil than the 230gr FMJ/4.0gr Clays load. D Carden tested this bullet with 4.6gr this last weekend, but I forgot what he got on the chrono.....Dan ????

Edited by Jerry V

hmmm, sounds like i am going to have to shoot more of a major-ish load. i have been shooting 200gr west coast RN but was down to just 400 or so, not enough to get me through the IRC. I was hoping to settle on one bullet since i only shoot 45. Although it sounds like Randy is going to have us all shooting 9mm here soon and then we won't have to reload any more.

jason

hmmm, sounds like i am going to have to shoot more of a major-ish load. i have been shooting 200gr west coast RN but was down to just 400 or so, not enough to get me through the IRC. I was hoping to settle on one bullet since i only shoot 45. Although it sounds like Randy is going to have us all shooting 9mm here soon and then we won't have to reload any more.

jason

Told you ...you should have gotten an 8 shooter. :lol:

Try a Berry's 185gr HBRN with 4.5gr - 4.7gr Clays. Just started working with this bullet myself and the accuracy is incredible and IMO has a more desirable recoil than the 230gr FMJ/4.0gr Clays load. D Carden tested this bullet with 4.6gr this last weekend, but I forgot what he got on the chrono.....Dan ????

I just bought a box of Berry's 185 gr HBRN, but have had no luck in finding loading data. I would like a load that woud give me about 800 fps using bullseye. Also how heavy can you go on the crimp and not deform the soft swedged core of the bullet? any help would be appreciated.

If you want to simplify things and shoot both IPSC and ICORE. Try using 4.0 clays with a 230 rn for IPSC and a 200 rn (haven't tried the 185's) with the same charge.

230 MG 4.0 clays f150 1.220" gives 741f/s 170pf

200 RN Ranier 4.0 clays f150 1.245" gives 740f/s 148pf

I get the above loads without changing anything but the bullet. The LOA comes out different due to the shape of the bullet nose.

And they both shoot virtually identical trajectories out to 50 yards. And both are really accurate out of my 625, the 200 might even be a shade better.

Using the different bullets also allows me to tell which I'm shooting.

The 200 are a little stiffer than a true 130 pf load, but after practicing with the 230's the 200 loads don't move out of the A-zone. You'll be better off practicing than fiddling with loads to get the lowest pf, at least until you get the Revo basics down pat.

Good Luck and Welcome,

Dave

Hi,

Thanks,

Jason

I've never been able to get down into decent "minor" ranges with the 230 grain bullet. As two or three others have suggested, I have had good luck with the Berry's 185 RNHB and a real short COL.

I can dial in a 129 pf at 4.6 grains of VV N310, then dial up about 170 with 6.0

It's very soft shooting at the lower end and very flat flying at major for those 50 yd + shots. Although if I'm going to shoot much major, I'll swith back to a 230 grain bullet to tame some of the snappiness of major 185's.

Please note!! 4.6 is MAXIMUM load with a conventionally based bullet at 185 grains. According to the reload manual from VV this should make MAJOR with ease. It doesn't because of the effect of the shape of the bullet base on case volume. Start low, check your velocities and watch for pressure signs.

Edited by Waltermitty

• 1 month later...

OK, so i loaded up some of my new 185gr RNHB berry's with 4.4 grains of clays at 1.260. they chrono'd at an average of 802 fps (149pf). i was thinking about dropping another .3 grains or so trying to get down to the 130pf area. anybody else been playing with this bullet and powder any more?

thanks,

jason

OK, so i loaded up some of my new 185gr RNHB berry's with 4.4 grains of clays at 1.260. they chrono'd at an average of 802 fps (149pf). i was thinking about dropping another .3 grains or so trying to get down to the 130pf area. anybody else been playing with this bullet and powder any more?

thanks,

jason

I haven't used the Clays, but there should be no problem with you dropping the charge.

One observation, I do run a shorter length ~1.225" because the hollow base increases case volume quite a bit. I did this because at the lower charges I was seeing unburned powder and larger velocity variance. If you drop the charge and see similar problems, you might try creeping down on the OAL until you reach your optimum burn and velocity condition.

• 7 years later...

Calling all ICORE & USPSA Revo Enthusiasts ...

I have 2k Oregon Trail 250 gn LRN "flavor" in .45 acp and need to

load them to MINOR for ICORE & USPSA Revolver in my 5.250" 625.

Also have 4k 230 gn Bayou Bullets on order for the future.

I have 700X, Clays, Universal Clays, WST, WSF, & VVN320 Powders on hand.

Hoping for 130pf (plus or minus), as my 70 yr. old shoulder can't take

MAJOR Loads any longer. This a plea for HELP !!!

Thanks, Howie

post-11360-0-75850200-1365750360_thumb.j

You might have better luck at the 50 yard line with a lighter bullet.

Good Advice ... However, as I stated, I need Minor Load Data for Oregon Trail 250 LRN,

because that's what I have on hand and want to shoot right now.

Time to hit the range with many different loads and find one :-) let us know how it goes! Look in the SASS section 45LC for a start, I bet if you wanna use trail boss you can find a nice load.

If you are not dead set on Clay's you might want to try Trail Boss. It is a very fluffy powder designed to fill cases and maintain a low pressure. It was designed for the 45LC for SASS. I am just getting ready to start playing with a minor load using it. If I get any decent results I'll post them.

Edited by ihocky2