Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Go To Shoot At Rio Salado?

So I have an oppourtunity to go visit my grandparents in Mesa Arizona. It so happens that their house is a measly 7.3 miles away from Rio Salado, and "Spring Steel" is the very weekend I'd be there! I'd fly in on the 24th of Feb, and be there to shoot Hosemasters IPSC Saturday, Spring Steel Sunday, and Tuseday Night Steel. I haven't ever been out to see them and Grandpa likes to see family and will buy me a ticket. :) I can ship him my ammo, and then all I have to figure out is how the heck to get my gun there. I shiver thinking about airlines loosing it. Maybe it won't be that bad.

Really my question is who's going to be shooting spring steel, and I'd like to meet some BE'ers and maybe I could find someone to show me around the club that weekend? I hear I have to attend a first time shooter class to shoot tuesday night steel.

Edited by hksniperman

Cold winter in Michigan or a week three solid matches at Rio?

Hmmm, let me think about this................

TNS starts at about 4PM and new shooters meeting is at 6PM.

Hmmm.......winter in Michigan or Rio?

Just be patient with the morons of the TSA.

I think it is legal to ship your pistol to your grandfather as long as you are not selling it to him.

Now that's an idea but I wouldn't really want to spend $100 shipping it both ways.

Yea yea, I know I want to go and shoot. :P But polls are more interesting than your standard old topic. I'd like to find out who's going to be there so I can try and meet some of you guys in the far reaches of the US.

I don't want to visit your grandparents. But have them send me the tickets, and I will fly with my guns from here to Arizona and report back to you on how to best deal with the airlines, TSA and flying with guns so next time you will have all the information you need to make a reasonable decision.

I think it is legal to ship your pistol to your grandfather as long as you are not selling it to him.

You can ship it to yourself at their house - but the package must remain sealed upon arrival. You are the only one that can open it. At least, that is my understanding. You cannot ship it addressed to your grandparents.

That said, flying with the gun shouldn't be a problem. Search for the appropriate threads here - it's pretty straightforward, especially if you're not flying w/ ammo...

And, in answer to your original question, "Duh!!! Does a bear wear a funny hat? Does the pope crap in the woods??? Go shoot, man, go shoot!!!" :lol:

Fly it. I've done it dozens of times, including custom Open guns to foreign countries where I speak little of the language.. only once did an airline lose a gun bag-- I got it back eventually, after a brief sojourn in Tokyo.

Just follow the rules and suggestions here and be prepared to politely educate the counter person if needed.