Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun For Cdp. Which One?

xuxupecheur

I'm considering the above pistols. My first gun was a Kimber Team Match which I coludn't shoot fast enough. It had to do with the grip safety, I think. I'm crossed eyed (righty with left eye dominant) and had problems engaging grip safety mechanism.

I want to stay under $1000 to start this new project and willing to listen to other options.

These guns I mentioned seem to be pretty well equipped. I would like to listen to your experience with either model.

Cheers,

Julio

Off hand I would say that you've got a great gun for CDP! Most people start with a lower platform or should I say, a less expensive 1911.

How long have you been shooting IDPA? If it hasn't been very long, I would say practice with what you've got. I don't think you could get a better gun for or less than what you've got invested in that Kimber (other opinions will vary). Hell I'd shoot the Team Match! I was actually looking at buying a Team Match about 5 months ago. I shoot a S&W Performance Center and a Springfield TGO1 now. I love both so I go back and forth.

If you're looking for a reason to justify buying another gun....well. Springfields are great for the money as well as another Kimber, but I think it would be redundant to buy another Kimber and to a lesser degree of the Team Match.

Julio why would you want to give up your sixguns?

As far as I am concerned all the guns you mentioned would make an excellent choice. The STI is appealing because you can get it in a number of calibers. Edit to add: I must have USPSA my mind so just ignore the part about STI having different calibers as it wouldn't matter in a CDP gun.

Edited by rubberneck

I'm not giving up my wheelies at all. Just an addition. The only thing that frustrates me is competing against myself with revos. That happens way to often in IDPA.

Once in awhile (just to feel at home) I like to be called a bottom feeder.

Now seriously, a different caliber would put me in ESP. How is that an advantage in USPSA. There is a nice Trojan .40 in GB with magwell and everything for $850. Is that a good price?

What else should I consider?

Trojans in .40 seem to have a documented problem with the feed ramp angles. There is a pretty extensive thread here somewhere discussing that fact. It seems for a bunch of owners the gun required a welding and reshaping of the ramp to be 100%. The consensus, as I remember, is that having the ramp redone on the gun (read Virgil Tripp) cured the problem in all cases.

You can buy a brand new Trojan for $925-935 if you shop around. Magwell would be extra on top of that... :)

What do you think was wrong with the grip safety? The kimber safety is pretty easy to disengage... I would hate for you to buy another gun only to have the same problem.

As far as the guns you are looking at go, I'm gonna have to +1 on the Trojan. I had one and my gun guru and I could never get it working. I hate to ever say anything bad about STI... they are a fantastic company and all 5 of mine run like tops. But I have heard a lot of complaints about trojans.

I would try to find a series-1 Kimber classic target. As you fiddle with pet loads, adjustable sights will come in handy. If you want fixed, heinie makes a fixed sight for the Classic target that is superior (larger) than the one he makes for the Classic custom.

You should be able to find a used variety for about $750.

Spend a few bucks on a trigger job/reliability tune and get some good magazines (I like Novak mags) and you will be well under $1K with a better product, IMO than the Trojan ever will be.

In my experience, SA and Dan Wesson (and STI) will require substantially more work out of the box to get running 100%.

OK, I just read where you tried a Kimber and couldnt depress the beavertail 100%.

A good gunsmith can tune your beavertail to be more sensitive for small fee. It isn't very hard to do.

Go back to the KIMBER!

I don't have alot of money so I chose to go on the less expensive side. I picked up an Armscor 1911 which has been working well. Although I'm not great by any means, I regularly score better than many higher dollar guns. I'm just starting out, so its not really the equipment holding me back yet. I practice ALOT of dryfire with it and it has considerable wear from the practice. I would feel kind of hesitant practicing as much if I was using a $1000 Kimber. Its like having a beater truck that you drive regulary to work or home Depot (and a nice BMW in the garage you drive on occasion). Find a good reliable and accurate cheap gun that you can practice the fundamentals with and not worry about. Of course if your rich, get whatever you want!!!!

Nontactical:

I really don't know! It had to do with being crosseyed and the way a gripped the gun. I even changed safety to the memory grooved Ed Brown's one and still had problems with it. I must say that accuracy was supreme, for me anyway.

Maybe 1911 are not for me....

I have to say that if you changed grip safeties and still had the same problem, you may need to change your grip somewhat..... or as suggested above, back off the spring somewhat to where it just barely enages the safety, and it can be depressed just by minumum contact of any type on the backstrap.

If that still doesn't work, your going to have to work on your grip.

For what its worth I shoot an old Kimber Custom Classic, with an S&A magwell, mild trigger job, and a Bomar rear sight that is designed to fit the Kimber adj. sight cut (a fixed sight model can be machined to accept this version of the Bomar easily). Great gun.

Edited by sfinney

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an “Or What” option.

Glock G21 $539.00 Priced from Glockmiester http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_in.../products_id/26

Dawson Sights for Glock $120.00

Lone Wolf Extended

Magazine Catch for G21 $4.99

Triggerkit.com or VanekCustom.com

Drop In Trigger kit 2 pound $100.00 Estimate

Total $763.99 Estimate

This estimate is within the dollar amount you were willing to spend. BTW, I own quite a few 1911's from STI, SV, Para, Norinco and Colt in double stack and single stack configurations and I still recommend Glock’s to anyone that’s on a budget.

I've found a mint G21 second generation at $425. Put it on hold while I decide. I've read many threads and it seems like this things shoots softer than any 1911. Is that right? I currently own a 1st Gen G17 which I love, so grip angle and all that negative stuff does not really bother me. Seriously considering it. I live in the Soviet Republic of NJ, so before one buys a gun should weight all the choices and make sure is getting the right one. For every handgun you intend to purchase you'll need a permit which takes anywhere from 2 to 4 months to get (in my town at least)

By the way ArnisAndys: I'm rich indeed and handsome. I conmute two and a half hours a day and work 60 hours a week just to feel how normal people live. Just kidding !!!

Xuxu,

Go to the gunseller and if you can handle the G21 a little bit, as the grip is going to be bigger than what you're used to with the G17. Some people have a problem with this. If the G21 cures the problem, then maybe that's your ideal solution.

I'm somewhat struggling with the same thing... a 1911 feels like a brick in my hand, whereas the Glock fits just perfectly. I think it's the combination of a fat grip with the arched backstrap that does it for me. What can I say? Big hands.

Going Glock will ultimately limit your POSSIBLE ability to perfect accuracy and trigger break, but to me the feel of the gun in my hand is much more important to real-life accuracy than those other two factors.

I'd really like to try an SV with an arched mainspring housing. If that doesn't fit my hand, then I think that I'll have to commit to the "Glock 4 Life" tattoo. B)

J

I haven't had a chance to shoot any Idpa. But I really like the Xd line 450 new 145 for canyon creek trigger 50 or so for some fiber optic sight.

You have a top of the line production gun all 4 I have owned have shoot where I pointed them.

Seems the grip saftey is always engaged and the slide release is allot easier to reach then my 1911

Xuxu,

Going Glock will ultimately limit your POSSIBLE ability to perfect accuracy and trigger break, but to me the feel of the gun in my hand is much more important to real-life accuracy than those other two factors.

J

Just wait till Flex sees this! :D

...a 1911 feels like a brick in my hand, whereas the Glock fits just perfectly.
This is honestly the first time I've ever heard anybody say that. Usually it's the exact opposite. :blink: Are you talking about a single stack or double stack 1911?

...a 1911 feels like a brick in my hand, whereas the Glock fits just perfectly.
This is honestly the first time I've ever heard anybody say that. Usually it's the exact opposite. :blink: Are you talking about a single stack or double stack 1911?

Single stack.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Glock.

I spent a year shooting revolvers (S&W 625) and for several reasons decided to go back to bottom feeders for a while. I found that my old XD and 1911s didn't feel right so I started shooting a Glock 34 that I picked up from a friend who needed the cash.

It seemed that the Glock pointed more like the 625 for me. I shot it for a while and then tried a G21 for CDP. Liked it enough to go ahead and buy one. The G21 is definetely beefier but I have had no problem going back and forth between the G34 and G21. Now I have 2 guns that I can cover ESP, SSP, and CDP with with similar triggers and grip angles. I may not be a master class shooter but I just got promoted to SSP Expert at the Smith & Wesson Winter Championship :) .

Greg