Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Match Vs Local Match

jasmap

I'm sure this may have been covered before but I wanted to get some feedback.

At local matches I never really feel any pressure or feel nervous in any way but at larger matches I sometimes go in putting too much on myself or expecting too much of myself and I sometimes fubar stages because of this and it takes me at least a stage or two (sometimes more) to get my head straight. I know I should treat all matches the same but this seems to be easier said than done. What are some things that you guys do to condition yourself and keep it on an even keel?

Jason

Match smatch, its all the same, the big ones often allows for some nap time if you get to stepping on the squad in front of you (darn pokies), just find some shade, pull down the hat visor, and take a snooze. Oh yea just shoot when it's your turn to blast off, and remember to help paste because some can't snooze and they get antsy.

Match smatch, its all the same, the big ones often allows for some nap time if you get to stepping on the squad in front of you (darn pokies), just find some shade, pull down the hat visor, and take a snooze. Oh yea just shoot when it's your turn to blast off, and remember to help paste because some can't snooze and they get antsy.

Jimmy Clark fell asleep at a rifle shoot and a friend woke him up to shoot...he says Jimmy shot top rate.

For some reason the person shooting before me influences how I shoot at a big match. I hate to shoot behind an open gun shooter when I shoot limited just as I hate to shoot revolver behind a limited gun.

I try to shoot as fast as they do and it is not possible. Once I convince myself of this fact, my matches usually take an upswing. But that first stage I really have to work hard to keep from shooting too fast.

At local matches our peer-pressure pretty much gets rid of the jitters. There is NO mercy from an IPSC shooter that knows you :lol:

FWIW

dj

One of the best one-line pieces of big match advice I ever got, as I was packing up to go to Area 4: "Driving to Shreveport does not make you a better shooter".

No ...but the drive back helps. motivation

I may learn more on a long drive home than any other time. Its one reason I like to drive to the matches out of state.

Shred, great advice. I don't know what it is about matches away from home. All of a sudden I convince my self that taking the 50yd. head shot with no shoots all around it while running full blast is a good idea!?! :o Once my buddies b itch slap me and I decide the coffee I had was not magic shooting juice, things get better. That is the hardest part of matches for me.

All of a sudden I convince my self that taking the 50yd. head shot with no shoots all around it while running full blast is a good idea!?! :o

A4 does love the long shot, don't they. I think it's one more way to screw with your head while you are preparing for the match.

FWIW

dj

One of the best answers as to the difference in shooting a local match versus a real match came from JoJo a few years back. His answer was to shoot local matches at 110% and then when you shoot a real match, back it off some.

Now at first, I didn't really understand what he was saying and therefore this method didn't really work for me.

But now I think I do understand the theory. I now shoot local matches as practice. So I shoot locals a little more aggressive/experimental. But because it is a match and you only have one shot at a stage, I don't get crazy and risk a complete trashing. The end result is that my timing is increased and I learn what I can and cannot do at certain speeds.

Then when I get to a real match, I shoot my dot. And by that I mean I get a little more deliberate in watching my dot. But because my timing and confidence was increased from local match practice, I am still able to move through a stage at a quick pace WHILE being more deliberate with my shots. In other words, the dot is slowing me down below that 110% I shoot at locals. But my ending pace is faster than what it would have been if I ONLY shot at one level.

And that is what I think JoJo was meaning to say initially. Something to think about.

We all know what yields the best results at matches - very few mistakes. Local or major I believe we all understand the fewer mistakes we make the better we'll place.

That fact though could inherently change the way we approach a big match versus a large match. At local matches I think we've all come across stages where we approach it as "let me see what I can do here" Sometimes it works (huge confidence booster) and sometimes it doesn't (huge learning opportunity). But those risks are so much more acceptable at the local level because it's "just another match" You'll get 'em next time right?

There have been so many times though when I've tried to accomplish something at a major match that skill wise I might could only pull off 5 out of 10 times. I feel the opportunity to handle the "game winning ball" and I go for it. Often times with dismal results. The decision often times wasn't made to learn, it was made so I could improve my place in the standings. Ironically I see those same decisions made at nearly every big match I shoot by a large percentage of shooters there.

So one thought process might be to come up with a system that will yield the fewest mistakes. By aiming yes but also by how you approach stages. Give yourself the opportunity to succeed and allow the others to come back. This won't always net the best results but over the span of time, I bet it would average better results. Frankly it gives you a shot at success which sure beats the alternative.

Last weekend I was watching Tiger at the Buick and was simply amazed at his two playoff holes. Nothing spectacular, not by any stretch of the imagination. He even missed a putt I thought he should make. But the cool thing I observed is that he insured he was "there" on every shot on every hole. Nothing aggressive - just solid. He then let the others come back to him. He put the pressure on them to do something special. Guess who won?

J

I definitely notice a difference in myself between the level of matches. I find it good in practice to put something on the line to develop some mental toughness against it. But, nonetheless, I tend to arrive at a big match a little bit more amped or excited.

Don't go to a big match expecting shoot above your ability, go into it knowing what you can do and do it.

This exactly matches my experience. Don't expect to shatter a bunch of personal records - the goal should be to shoot a solid match within your ability. Practice and local matches is the time to try to do super-human (for you) kind of stuff... You should already know what you can do when you get to the big match.

For some reason the person shooting before me influences how I shoot at a big match.

There's a lot to be said for not even watching the shooter (or even shooters) who go before you. The mind has a way of mimicing what you're thinking about and watching. If the shooter in front of you totally tanks the stage, you'll naturally tend to be more cautious, or start doubting your plan if it was similar to theirs, or... If they *blaze*, your tendency will have to be to *beat* them, instead of shooting your best performance - just as you notice when shooting after an Open shooter.

Practice this at your local matches :) I do my best not to watch the guy right in front of me - ie, I make sure I know where I am in the order, and I go stand away from the stage, facing away, etc...

One of the best one-line pieces of big match advice I ever got, as I was packing up to go to Area 4: "Driving to Shreveport does not make you a better shooter".

Sweet :):lol: That's perfect :)

But the cool thing I observed is that he insured he was "there" on every shot on every hole. Nothing aggressive - just solid. He then let the others come back to him. He put the pressure on them to do something special. Guess who won?

Jack, as usual, is spot on :) Good to see you around, Jack :)

I find one of the toughest things is to have confidence that, if you just shoot a solid match, you *will* place well. I get the whole "hero" thing you're talking about. The pressure's on, and it's "up to me" to turn in a clutch performance. I find it real easy to fall into that - from the strategy I pick, to the way I shoot. Experience and reflection seems to help - the more I shoot big matches (and make mistakes in them of this sort, and learn from them - slowly...), the more I feel comfortable with just shooting my game.

Once you're at that top level - where Max, and JJ, and Todd, and TGO, and Travis are your competition... it's still the same thing... :lol: Except that, you might end up in a position where you know all the scores, and know what you need to do to win - and then, if there's a strong possibility of winning *if* you take a risk, and that risk isn't silly, you might consider it. Then you have to have the game to be able to pull it off (and the moxy/stones/mind-game). You'll see Tiger do that, too, when he's on. Suddenly, instead of leaving himself 10 footers, he's got 10 inchers, or he's chipping in from the fringe, or floating a sand shot to 6 inches, or..... ;)

Agree 100% w/ what Dave said.

So nerves and all that probably don't change much over the years. I've shot my fair share of big matches and local matches - I'm nervous every time. It's the strategy that changes, not necessarily the feeling. I Love that I'm nervous. Just means I'm excited to be there.

And I also agree that there are times to make those clutch decisions. The challenge though is to know when to make those clutch decisions. In a 17 stage match, the second stage is not the time. Again, I'd say play a game that places you solidly in the mix. You don't need to win the match on stage two.

If however, you are on stage 17, you know where you stand and where the competition stands, and the opportunity presents itself such that it's a risk but not taking it won't yield the "w" I'd always go for it. If the "5 in 10" option is there and you have a chance of winning then will yourself into the right half and win the match.

Performing in the clutch is certainly exciting and probably crucial to success. For me the difference is understanding that the "clutch" is stage 17, not stage two.

And BTW Dave brings up an excellent point. TGO, Tomasie, Barhart and the rest all go through this as well.

J

So one thought process might be to come up with a system that will yield the fewest mistakes. By aiming yes but also by how you approach stages. Give yourself the opportunity to succeed and allow the others to come back.

Well said, trickery is seldom worth the reward. In a major match it is about ALL the stages added up, tanking one can really hurt.

Nice to see you back Jack, great insight as always.

And I also agree that there are times to make those clutch decisions.

+1!!! I have to tell myself that, still - even in local matches. I just get risky - and I really don't know why. Like I said before, a local match is the time to try things, but... I mean, just stupid stuff, strategically, pops into my head - or I'll overlook some obvious thing (like, in L-10, you don't want to reload standing still if you can avoid it... yeah, you can do some neat math and make it look real cool and all, but if you have to stand and reload to get it done, you probably just blew it.... ;) ) And, no, I don't have Travis's or Todd's reload, so...

If however, you are on stage 17, you know where you stand and where the competition stands, and the opportunity presents itself such that it's a risk but not taking it won't yield the "w" I'd always go for it. If the "5 in 10" option is there and you have a chance of winning then will yourself into the right half and win the match.

One day, I hope to be in that position. Until then, me trying to convince myself I'm in a clutch situation is much like being an 18 handicap player lining up a 6 foot putt 10 ways til Sunday... It's not like the Masters is on the line or anything - and they're playing ready golf behind you (dumbass... !!!! :) )

Now, if I can remember that when I start thinking "Ok, now it's time to *win* this match....".... :lol:

Performing in the clutch is certainly exciting and probably crucial to success. For me the difference is understanding that the "clutch" is stage 17, not stage two.

I would argue that, in large part, this is what separates someone like the "upper echelon" GMs (ie, those that have won the *big* matches) from the rest of us - including the (no offense intended) lower echelon GMs. They've been there, they've battled through it, and they've come out on top - they know they can win in the midst of stiff competition, and they know that they can hang their butts out in the wind, and have the gumption to save it.... And a big part of what keeps the lower echelon guys from getting there is that they don't quite believe *enough* in their hearts that they can do that - there's just enough doubt there, lurking in the shadows... It's when they figure out - or convince themselves through good mind game - that they can... look out. That's the jump... A GM of any flavor has the physical shooting skills (in my opinion...).

Someone in my position, well... the shooting skills need a lot of work before I have to cross that bridge, so... :)

I think to some degree the "big" matches are a struggle is that you see things there that you don't normally see at local matches. I know that last year (my first year to shoot uspsa after 4-5 years of shooting idpa) I saw LOTS of stuff I'd never seen before. Texas stars, entire stages made of steel, 50+ yard shots, all sorts of different actuators, etc...

It wasn't so much that I was freaked out by all of it, it was almost like it was sensory overload, like going to the candy store.

But, as the year progressed up to the present day, I am feeling much more comfortable in uspsa courses of fire. There have been definate matches for me where my only goal was to learn something. That's now changing as my goals have broadened. ;)

It's like the movie "Hoosiers" (I think that was it) when the team got to the big game and they were all freaked out. The coach goes and measures the rim and yep - same size as what you've played on your whole life....

We shoot at the same targets all the time in practice, dry fire, local matches, etc. The only thing that changes at a big match is your perception of the value of those targets.

As a matter of fact, I have made it one of my self affirmation messages this year that I will treat every shot on every target as if it were nationals.

So, once you've built up that experience of seeing new stuff - then I'd say all you gotta do is play your game to the best of your ability and not pay attention to anyone else's.

The difference of big matches and local matches is comfort level. At your local match, you are comfortable. The people are familiar. You know most everyone there. You know what to expect with the stages. At the big matches, you don't have as much of a comfort level as you do at the local match.

One way to combat this is to go to another local match where you do not know anyone and you don't know what the stages might look like. You will get some of the big match anxiety at the local match level. This may help you to shoot your game no matter where you go.

This has helped me. I went on a vacation to Hawaii and wanted to shoot and shot a match using a loaner gun and equipment. I shot at GPSL when I came home from leave. Every time I go to a place and there is a local match going on somewhere, I may just show up and shoot it. I get the practice of getting the big match jitters at a local match. Good Training.

Glock17w

These are good responses... here are some thoughts:

1. Take the local matches more seriously, imagine it's the nationals. Squad with the best shooters and really get into it.

2. Fear is the body's response to uncertainty, which could also mean inexperience with a given situation. You can gain experience in your imagination and your body won't know the difference. As you go to sleep, imagine driving to a big match, signing in, finding the range, joining your squad, looking at stages, and shooting alphas. When you get there, it'll feel like you've done it a bunch and the fear will dissipate.

3. Ignore the other shooter's times and insulate yourself from the culture of speed. You won't know how good you are unless the results are based on you shooting points at your natural speed. make this your goal.

4. Do not discuss your mistakes or the mistakes of others. Your mantra should be: I will shoot a clean match in complete control.

5. When you walk the stages, visualize, I mean really see two alphas in every target.

4. For the love of God, buy "with winning in mind" by Lanny Bassham. Do this today.

SA