Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research

Flyin40

Anyone sent their gun to Tripp lately for Hard Chroming??? In the last month or two??? They say 12 to 15 shop days but I keep hearing from everyone its back in your hands in 7 days. Just wondering. Also are there any additions charges anyone ran into after sending the gun to them. I know the base price for my open gun but wondered about anything else that might pop up.

Also wanted to ask how you like your gun after having Tripp chrome it??? I just read a thread about on open gun not running after chroming on the Hate forums. I don't want to even think about that.

Thks

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I had a gun hard chromed by Tripp. Very Very satisfied. His quality is excellent, especially for the price.

I have seen some very high price finishes. Almost of them have had a slight flaw somewhere.

His turn around was quite good. We had some other arrangements so I was not so concerned about it being turned around in less than 14 days.

I have had several guns done by Virgil and see and handle guns done by him all the time. Finish, service and turn around time is always top notch. Sometimes it takes a few hundred rds to get a newly chromed gun to run, but they run a long time.-----Larry

Virgil did my open gun last fall. I couldn't have been happier with the work. When you look closely at the work and start noticing the tiny parts that were chromed and the attention to detail everywhere is where his work really shines. The chrome is "sticky" when it's fresh. Run 500 rounds through it and you should be good to go.

I have 1 chromed gun and 1 coated gun, each done by Tripp.

The work was flawless.

No problems running the chromed gun, at all. It's a single stack that I use as my LEO duty pistol. 4+ yrs of getting knocked around, rained on, and probably 10K+ rounds.

My limited blaster was hard chromed by Virgil right around Thanksgiving. Turnaround took a little bit longer because we got caught by the Thanksgiving holiday and UPS lost my gun for a day; no fault of Virgil. I think I went a little more than 2 weeks total without the gun.

Gun ran flawlessly before, and flawlessly since. I was a little more anal about cleaning it the first 250-500 rounds than I usually am but back to the normal routine of cleaning it when I just can't take it anymore.

Very pleased.

After my most recent disaster with hardchrome (not by Virgil) I'll never again have hardchome applied to an open gun. I have had 4 guns that Virgil hardchromed (2 were open guns) and all of them ran flawlessly with no need to break them in.

Lawman:

Several of the guns I've had chromed didn't work for the first 100-200 rounds, then they worked great. Just takes a little bit to wear back in.
Did Virgil Tripp do the work?

Have had a couple guns coated by Virgil..great work..no surprises..exactly as it should be done..

Have seen HC done where the edged get burned and the finish looks terrible..

HC will add just a little bit and sometimes, not all..which will require the gun to go through another breakin period...

Virgils coatings are great..I have had MSHs and other small parts done..and they just do not wear...

I would highly recommend Virgil's work..

He is fast too..with all my small parts work..he has had them back to me the same week..with both of us using 2 day shipping..

Once I get functional and cosmetic work done on my Trojan, I'm strongly considering having Virgil do a two-tone on the gun.. chrome frame, black coated slide, etc... I've wondered how hard the coatings end up, and how they'll show holster wear, etc... :)

I'm just glad that I get my guns from my smith AFTER it's been hardchromed. It may be better to run a few rounds through the gun before having it HC'd but I like the fact that the gun is good to go/checked for reliability when I get it in my grubby paws.

I had my Open Action Pistol gun chromed the middle of Nov. Virgil got it back to me in a week and I had him sharpen up the checkering before it was chromed. I normally run a 9 pound spring but I put everything back on the pistol and started with a 7 pound spring. The gun has run flawless and now I'm back to the 9 pounder. This was my first experience with hard chrome and he's about to get another one to do. His work is excellent and this was the first time that I ever sent my gun somewhere and they didn't mess up my trigger pull.

Kevin

I was called today to discuss the guns. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I wanted to compare a Tripp chromed gun brushed and one with Polished sides. I'm thinking of going with just the brushed and not have the sides polished, kinda a matte chrome look. I like the look of the polish but I can't really find a gun thats not polished to compare.

Thks

Flyin40

When I had Virgil HC my 1911, I was at first confused by his terminology. He called the polished slide slabs "satin" and the non-polished areas "brushed." Here is a picture of mine shortly after I had it done. It now has about 20k rounds through it and still looks good. If you want to see it in person, send me an e-mail and we'll see if we can meet up.

DWTripp.jpg

When I had Virgil HC my 1911, I was at first confused by his terminology. He called the polished slide slabs "satin" and the non-polished areas "brushed." Here is a picture of mine shortly after I had it done. It now has about 20k rounds through it and still looks good. If you want to see it in person, send me an e-mail and we'll see if we can meet up.

Nice looking piece, Greg. What are those grips?