Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight article

Julien Boit

One thing I found that was curious (after speaking with Jake Kempton of Accuracy Speaks on the same subject) is that he didn' t make mention of a free-float aluminum tube.   Wonder why???  Is it not as important with a limited gun as opposed to Open?

A free float tube is one of the most simple and easy to accomplish mods that will yield the greatest accuracy gain - given the same barrel. Easy to install and no, headspace does not change since headspace is fixed once the barrel extension is installed and the correct bolt selected. Same barrel, same bolt = same headspace.

Although its a bit heavy for IPSC, I use a rifle set up for DCM/CMP National Match competition- it has a barrel which is full 1" dia. under the free float handgaurds.

For the ultimate limited AR, a tubular free floated 20, or custom 18" "heavy barrel" (not the 1" bull barrel) with a limited-length comp would seem to be the way to go. Premium trigger and a rear sight with interchangeable inserts would finnish the package in my mind.

The rifle that Bennie shot at last year's 3 gun Natls did not appear to have a free-float tube.  It had normal handguards.  The rifle that he shot at Myst mtn 3 gun did have a free floating handguard.  

Free floating is not as essential as long as you're not putting pressure on the handguard.  Bipods and shooting slings add pressures to the handguard and perform much better with handguards that do not touch the barrel.  Undue or odd pressures change zeroes and increase group sizes.

ARs should be more accurate with free floating but I'm not sure that the accuracy requirements of 3 gunning require it.  All my ARs are free-floated though!

• 3 weeks later...

What's so cool about the article is where else would something that informative get printed?  Nowhere!!  And how cool are the top dogs in our sport like Benny Cooley?  He openly shared his tricks in a substantial, detailed, well written article.  Not many folks in other disciplines would have been so forthcoming.

It's stuff like this that really makes me dig IPSC!  

E

Quote: from BigDave on 10:35 am on Mar. 13, 2002

Has anyone seen, or own a rifle built by George at Evolution Gun Works.  For a hand assembled package, the price seems right, actually, it seems very good.

George did some work on my Rock River ARs and I'm very satisfied with it. He actually does quite a bit more rifle work than is generally known.

I think the rifle is a good deal and EGWs workmanship is always outstanding.

(Edited by kbear38S at 4:49 am on Mar. 31, 2002)

George did my AR last year. Free floated the barrel and made up a neat rail that takes the Knight vertical fore grip. new trigger and comp. I was just down a couple weeks ago and he has about 6 different models hanging in the shop. George is a perfectionist, if it doesn't shoot it aint leaving until it does! He has an ar-10 in .243 that was shooting under 1moa with 5 different loads. If memory serves me most were in the range of .5 moa. Maybe next year I'll have George build me a new open AR. This year its the new open pistol. The best thing with George is if he builds its his baby and it will shoot and work 100% or he'll work on it until it does, then he ships it out to you. I've seen to many other guns that choke and puke and spend the whole season going back to whoever built it. The fact that George is a heck of a nice and honest as the day is long helps too! If you want one get on the list, the only bad part is he's backed up about 9-12 months. I know he won't be going under with that work load and hey the best is always worth the wait!

I shot my first 3-gunlast weekend, fun!

I don't have the best equipment to play with the big-dogs (Bush-Shorty A-1 sights, Mossberg 590-A1), but enjoy pushing them to their peak level of performance.

What's the best set-up for the older style AR-15 A1 rear sight system (non-adjustable rear sights, and the flip-up aperatures are seemingly the same size)?

Is there a drop-in flipping aperature that would better suit USPSA 3-gun demends? Brownells have it?

Jon,

There's two methods:

Method #1: everyone has their own recipe, but here's mine...shoot one shot, clean the barrel until it's immaculate, repeat for 10 shots, then shoot 5 shots, clean until immaculate, repeat once, then shoot 10 shots, clean until immaculate, done.

Methos #2: buy the NECO fire-lap kit (go here for more info about it: http://www.neconos.com/details2.htm) It's the firing of bullets that have a polish ground into them.  I understand that Tubb has a kit of his own now, but I haven't used it.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I was going to stay out of this....but, oh well...  

I know I'm speaking out of turn here, but wouldn't a chrome-lined barrel be the *worst* candidate for lapping?  All my non-shooting experience with chrome is that it tends to peel instead of abrading.  My fear would be that I'd run those abrasive bullets down the bore, chunks of chrome would start peeling off, and I'd have a $200 paperweight.  

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think I am.

E

• 2 weeks later...

ErikW,

You are absolutely right, this is what makes IPSC (to me) the "shit". You can walk up to the world's best and they'll talk to you like they have known you forever and tell you what they use and why. Take pictures and sign autographs as much as you want.

Other sports, you can't get an anything from them, let alone tips, advice, or having lunch w/ them.

Cooley's article was great, especially for guys just starting 3 gun, gets them going in the right direction from the beginning, so they don't go on wild goose chase and get burned out.

Kevin,

Yup!  

I had another great GM moment today at the range.  There I am, whiling away my lunch break, scrounging for 40 brass to no avail when the top dawg drives up.  He comes over kibbitzes a while, then goes to where the cops are hanging out and panhandles them for brass for me.  I just can't get over it.  For me, a total nobody.  The top people in this sport are all class.  I can't say that for anything else I've been in.  I want IPSC to grow, but hope we never lose this kind of helpfulness and humbleness in the process.  

E