Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters!

NODAK

Ok I have my speed belt and mag pouches but chickened out on getting a holster.Rescomp had a few hi-tech looking items ans so did Safariland. I will be starting out in L-10 and the new provisional single stack division figure I can shoot both. HELP with the holster issue please

Edited by NODAK

Why is it worth the extra cost? You can buy 10 holsters for the price of one? The single stack rules explicitely state "NO RACE TYPE HOLSTERS." so the CR and Safariland holsters are out.

ps. I have measured the draw times to know they are identical in speed. I use the CR for my limited and open guns, but for the SS 1911, Sig 226, XD I use an Uncle Mikes.

Why is it worth the extra cost? You can buy 10 holsters for the price of one? The single stack rules explicitely state "NO RACE TYPE HOLSTERS." so the CR and Safariland holsters are out.

ps. I have measured the draw times to know they are identical in speed. I use the CR for my limited and open guns, but for the SS 1911, Sig 226, XD I use an Uncle Mikes.

So in L-10 you cant use the speed holsters ?

Of you are shooting a SS Uncle Mikes makes one for $15-20 that is just as fast as a race holster. The CR speed wears the gun finish less and works well also. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

So if I'm looking at crspeed pick one for me also safariland, for L-10. just want to look at some specific ideas.If anyone else has input some specific holsters please :blink:

For a budget holster the Blade Tech molded are pretty spiffy.

The real advantage to a race type holster IMHO is the adjustability of the angle and position to put the butt of the gun right where you want it, at the angle you want .

I ( a lowly C shooter ) still draw just as slowly with the expensive stuff.

Travis F.

+1 on blade-tech,

got one for production, to replace my uncle mikes. they are both fast, but the blade-tech is more forgiving if your draw isn't perfect, the uncle mike used to bind on me all the time. and the draw times differances between the blade-tech and my open ghost holster is under 1/10 of a second.

for a race holster, I would never use anything but a CR Speed. And I have tried pretty much every product on the market.

L2S,

If you feel the UM and the race holsters are the exact same for speed, why do you use a race holster when you shoot Open and Limited? (serious question).

Warning, holster advise from a newbie follows:

When you can bang out CONSISTENT draws of less than one second from relaxed at sides AND from surrender with a Kydex holster IN MATCHES then it might be holding you back. Until then stick with secure and simple, Kydex holster preferrably a Blade Tech DOH.

Even when you reach all the goals I list I don't see a QAULITY Kydex holster costing more than a tenth per stage.....

for a race holster, I would never use anything but a CR Speed. And I have tried pretty much every product on the market.

L2S,

If you feel the UM and the race holsters are the exact same for speed, why do you use a race holster when you shoot Open and Limited? (serious question).

I don't feel they have the same speed, thats what the timer says.

I use them for Limited and Open because I have SVI's and they work good in the CR Speed. I have rigs for each gun that is not SVI, I just switch the Arredondo end for Open or Limited on the CR rigs.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Jake,

The Uncle Mike's holster won't fit an SV/ST frame without a bit of attention from a heat gun. That even goes for a short frame. The frame width and profile are just a bit wide, and a bit square to drop in. I used the Uncle Mike's for my Series 70 when shooting multigun last season. It is a good holster for someone not looking to spend a lot, and if he wants to shoot Single Stack. I was surprised how well the darn thing worked. Now I need another one for my 40 limited gun.

Ok, but there are other kydex holster manufacturers that make holsters specifically for those models of firearm. Blade-tech, etc. Seeing how those are much cheaper than a CR Speed or Limcat or othe, I'm curious to why soeone would use a more expensive piece of equipment when a cheaper piece of equipment is just as good.

A couple of reason's I can think of are:

1. You have a pretty gun and don't want to draw it out of kydex and scuff up the finish.

2. You already have the race holster from the days when you were trying to determine if one was better than the other, so why not keep using it.

I like my Ghost, but I'm just as slow from my Bladetech.

Dan S,

Try the TKW kydex sold through MLE Shooting Sports in the Dealer forum. I have one for the long-wide dustcover limited gun and it works great. They are made by Doug Drager.

I perfer my Ghost holster because I can use that one rig for three of my guns with no adjustments.

Jake,

I agree, especially for a beginner that want's to shoot in S.S. besides L10. The less costly kydex holsters are the way to go. My normal rig is a Safariland. I used that brand before my 11 year break and didn't know CR Speed or any of the other new holster makers. However, I don't feel comfortable with it for multigun matches, hence the Uncle Mike's.

Steve,

I will probably look at that holster before the 3 gun/ multigun matches start for the season up our way.

This thread has definately drifted from NODAK's original question, didn't it? For his query, the Uncle Mike's, Blade Tech, TKW, or any of the kydex will be a good start for L10 and Single Stack.

A couple of reason's I can think of are:

1. You have a pretty gun and don't want to draw it out of kydex and scuff up the finish.

2. You already have the race holster from the days when you were trying to determine if one was better than the other, so why not keep using it.

Ditto

+

1. They look cool.

2. I got it free, and that is cheaper than the $15 for the Uncle Mikes.

3. My open gun is longer and the draw would be too hign from kydex.

4. I can use the one rig for both SV's with a 30 sec change.

5. Fat guys benefit from the adjustablity of race holsters (I was fatter then)

6. They look cool.

Why do people run raceguns in the first place? Dave Sevigny is proof you can kick @ss with a stock Glock and Kydex. My CR rig fits good, I like the product a lot, but the other stuff works too, and I use with my ugly guns.

I don't feel they have the same speed, thats what the timer says.

I use them for Limited and Open because I have SVI's and they work good in the CR Speed. I have rigs for each gun that is not SVI, I just switch the Arredondo end for Open or Limited on the CR rigs.

Out of curiosity, is it possible that the speed holsters forgive the less-than-perfect draw more readily? In other words, your *perfect* draw from a Kydex holster is just as fast as a perfect draw from an "ABC"-brand race holster? And being at the GM level your draw is typically a lot more perfect, and a lot more often, than that of the rest of us?

But a draw that's *not* clean is going to be a lot more punishing with an enclosed holster, with the friction on the sides, grip issues, etc.? Dunno -- just thinking out loud....My CR-Speed holster for my Glock sure feels a LOT faster than the Bladetech, I have.

'Course I never practice with the latter, either.

...So in L-10 you cant use the speed holsters ?

NODAK - in L-10 you can.

As far as the rest of debate goes, my two cents' worth is that if you are brand new, get something reliable and secure for not too much money first, and get a race holster once you are sure that you want to participate in the sports/divisions where it may be worth it to you to spend the extra cash (and after asking/looking around and trying out a few from your new shooting pals).

NODACK,

I've been shooting open for 1 1/2 years. I don't use anything but cr speed. I use the holster and mag pouches and belt. I never had any problems. Using cr speed equipment I rose from 20% to 60% in USPSA.

If you decide on the cr speed I reccomend the arredondo attatchment for the end of the holster. I think it really makes a difference. Check it out

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...?products_id=58

openshooter