Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When Good Shooters Go Bad

Kimberkid

The person that got me involved in the shooting sports is very near and dear to my heart, yet lately I have noticed that he is straying from what we all know is right. His history in the shooting sports goes back 20 years and involves any match of any kind he could find within a couple hours of home. Back in the days before IPSC was really established in our area he shot a lot of IPSC type "combat" matches, then found NRA AP which was a steady mainstay for years, as well as Skeet, Trap, Sporting clays, IDPA, ICORE, Cowboy, Silhouette, PPC.... and on and on. He was a true jack of all trades. He never won any majors, or kicked any real ass, but was always near the top of the local matches and represented well, as well as helped a lot of new shooters get started. I have always gotten the idea that he is intimadated by contemporary IPSC, as he hasnt shot it in 10 years or so now, despite my frequent invites.

He is also now starting in the stupid gun shop retard chatter. I am hearing lately things like "those 2 lb Glock triggers wont ever work, they are totally unsafe, and no one could ever make one work and be safe, and no one would want to shoot them anyways" as well as "those Comonilli Glock Thumb safeties are great and are gaining a ton of popularity, look around, you will see them everywhere" as well as "IDPA is excellent training for self defense, cuz it is so real life, it might just save you in a gunfight". No one here wants to hear what he says about IPSC or Major 9mm.

He also seems to have stopped shooting matches all together and instead is buying more useless guns than anyone alive. Last month he bought 3 .22 rifles, bringing his .22 rifle count up to 8. He also keeps buying rifles in oddball calibers so that he can work up a load for it, and put it in a closet never to be shot again. He doesnt use these odd rifles for any form of hunting or sport, just making a load, and putting the gun away, FOREVER! I have always sworn I wouldnt keep a gun if I dont shoot it anymore or havent shot it in 1 calendar year. His oddball caliber rifle selection is now number in the 20's, as is his single action .44 mag revolvers.

It is just discouraging and depressing to me to see this consumate competitor turn into a crotchety old man that refuses to use the technilogical advances our sport and industry have given us, as well as turn away from the competition community that welcomed him with open arms for so many years.

Feel free to use this thread to punk out your shooting buddies that have fallen off the wagon and are now spouting gun shop retard chatter that you always thought they were above.

Mike

Your friend probably has not changed, you are the one that grew and progressed. It looks like he is getting backwards to you because you see things more clearly. At some point your paths split, he ended up on the low road with out the climb. You made the climb on the high path and now you have a good view to see things clearly.

Be the friend he once was to you and be 'tolerant' of his likes /dislike, = let him be wrong.

I have a friend that helped me get a start = spent the time to make shurr I had fun. If not for him I would not have stayed in the sport past the first terible year, no one thought I would ever be any good at all. He belived in me and spent the time to help me.

Now when a new shooter is staring out, and they are at a low point in the day and blown a stage or emptied a mag trying to hit a long plate. I tell them just how bad I was in my start.

<_< And do not pick on his 22 rim fire collection, some day you may learn a person can never have too many 22s

Some day you may be the guy with old ideas= so...like, Brian Enos wrote in my book in 1992...'Stay Sharp'

At least he can still shoot.We had a man who may have been the 1st Master shooter in TN,(Rick Castelow or John Shaw may have preceded him) slowly lose his sight and later his life to diabetes.Back in the 80's he kicked some ass,beating Shaw,Castelow and even TGO in matches and shootoffs.I talked to him one day about coming out to shoot after his vision started to go and he told me that he couldn't stand to lose to a bunch of guys he used to dominate,He was a true competitor and trash talker but he could back it up. He shot with a bent arm isosolese stance with his left thumb at the base of the right one,He never got slide bit.Driving to the match Sat.I thought of him,(It was raining and I wasn't really sure I wanted to shoot or not)and I could hear his voice saying"Goddamn boy, I would rather be shooting my guns than sitting at home playing with them."At least your friend is still around.

We've got several of those types around here. Seems that they got too old for USPSA, got involved starting up IDPA, then walk around saying things like "you need a $2500 racegun to shoot USPSA".

I had one of them tell me the same crap. I can guarantee that he won't tell me that again :angry:

People do change. If the old boy likes rimfires and wildcat cartridges now and prefers to collect rather than shoot, let him do what makes him happy.

Your opinions of things are quite different at 20 or 30 than they are at 50 or 70. Sounds like he still likes guns - let him be happy and support your friend. If his ideas are so far off of base talk about it with him. Talking involves listening and hearing what he is saying as well as moving your mouth. One day I won't be able to run around an IPSC course, I hope to shoot rimfires off of the bench and talk smart among other gun nuts at the local gun shop and still remember the old days when I did well for myself. B)

Around here, we recently developed a related problem. One of the regulars is getting worse and worse about controling his temper. He starts massive fights ovwe being assesest some procedurals. He starts loud arguements because someone said something that upset him while he was shooting a course of fire, that result into people having to go and have hour long discussions with him in the parking lot. His impulse control is getting so bad that people are refusing to be squaded with him. Its getting so bad that people wonder not if he needs to be banned or removed from the club, but what with his reaction be when he is asked to leave. Nasty problem.

Edited by Vlad

KK,

Here is a possiblity. He taught you how to shoot, compete, and live life.

Now, you have taken what he taught you a few steps further..yourself. Denial is a terrible cross.

Denial that you could compare to his accomplishments. Denial that you are better than he because of your wussy 9mm, light/unsafe trigger, and tactically incorrect approach. To be equal, you need to shoot 290 pf loads with a 14lb trigger while walking to school uphill both ways. We both know that didn't happen.

And he doesn't perform as well anymore might be a reason.

The student and the teacher relationship is a strange one..sometimes. Especially when the teacher closes himself off from new knowledge.

Love him for who he is. Just keep doing what you're doing and he should do the same.

And if the strange rifles make him happy..it's his money.

We've got several of those types around here. Seems that they got too old for USPSA, got involved starting up IDPA, then walk around saying things like "you need a $2500 racegun to shoot USPSA".

I had one of them tell me the same crap. I can guarantee that he won't tell me that again :angry:

I hope you did not shoot him :rolleyes:

Edited by Jasonub

Around here, we recently developed a related problem. One of the regulars is getting worse and worse about controling his temper. He starts massive fights ovwe being assesest some procedurals. He starts loud arguements because someone said something that upset him while he was shooting a course of fire, that result into people having to go and have hour long discussions with him in the parking lot. His impulse control is getting so bad that people are refusing to be squaded with him. Its getting so bad that people wonder not if he needs to be banned or removed from the club, but what with his reaction be when he is asked to leave. Nasty problem.

Wow, Vlad that's scary. The Clubs and MDs around here would not tolerate that. If someone had a repeat episode after being talked to at one match, he would be asked not to come back. If that didn't work, he *would* be banned from the range. Gross unsportsman like conduct with firearms should not be tolerated. It's tough if he's a regular that went bad. That makes it more difficult, but the situation will only get worse the longer you let it go on. Good luck.

At the SHOT show a couple of years ago I walked up on a few guys I kinda knew from around the state. They were already talking, or rather listening to this "gun store commando" type going on and on about how IPSC was all gear and anyone of them (his audience) could make "A" class given a decent gun, hell, he could jump right in and make Master.

I had just EARNED my master card and took offense.

"I just earned my Master card. Why don't you come out and shoot my gear? We'll see how easy it is."

Oddly enough he declined. B)

As to what he buys, there is something to be said for buying fun guns. However, some folks buy knowing what will and won't be allowed or competitive in competition. Whereas you or I wouldn't buy a G17c because we know it's not production legal, that's the reason they buy it. Like buying 7 shot .357's, 3" or .45 ACP's that will never be carried. If he only buys tactical oddballs, or wildcats that the magazines have already vetted as cool he's in......and safe. If you start talking competition, or actually drag him out, he's already made sure he has an equipment excuse.

It is a bit wierder cuz as SRT mentioned, he was my teacher, it is just sad to see that he is now one of the people that only remember how it was done in the good ole days, and feels that it is wrong to do what was once said to be impossible such as Major 9mm, sub 5 el-prez, 2lb. Glock triggers, and whatnot.

He can buy what he wants with his money, I dont care, but trying to justify to me why you need another .44 Vaquero or .22 Hornet single shot, when you dont shoot the other 5 you have, is going to be a losing battle. If you wanna buy a truckload of Lorcin's, go ahead, but dont expect me not to shake my head and think something about you quietly in my own head.

Lead test? I wondered about a drug test

I hope everyone can see a small sliver of humor in this, as we all one day may become crochety old men who wax poetic about .45 hardball being the only gun a real man would ever carry.

As for skills degredation, maybe a bit, but he will always land in the middle of the pack at any match, which isnt a lot different from him in his prime.