Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Glock Syle Pistol

cep

I saw a magazine advertisement for a polymer frame DAO Kimber pistol in .40cal. Essentially a Glock type pistol made by Kimber. Anybody know details about this? I was surprised to see Kimber entering this market. Wonder how good their entry into this arena is?

No surprise. All the gun manufacturers are gunning for Glocks LE market share and what that dominance translates into as success on the commercial market. I dimly remember the Kimber ad's photo, but IIRC it looks to be a copy of the FN9/FN40/Browning Pro from a few years back.

Actually it looks a lot like a deadringer for the new S&W M&P

here is a link from 1911forum.com

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php...ight=kimber+dao

They look alike but they have 3 rounds capacity difference. It may be that we are seeing a batch of new platforms because of the new military contract thats floating around. The M&P and this Kimber seem to be in the right ball park if they make them in .45, and the M&P will.

They look alike but they have 3 rounds capacity difference. It may be that we are seeing a batch of new platforms because of the new military contract thats floating around. The M&P and this Kimber seem to be in the right ball park if they make them in .45, and the M&P will.

I would suspect that the development of a new standard service pistol would be a major factor as well as the desire to capture marketshare. The Clinton gun ban's sunset also made high cap cool again. In the 10 years of the ban, innovations were made in smaller sized pistols and the wave of CCW laws started to build. Consequences which were unintended I am quite sure. Since the late 2004 consumer interest and demand for large frame guns has picked up noticeablely. It is hard not to see these trends if you look in the right places.

Here's link to a photo of an FN Forty Nine

http://www.remtek.com/arms/fn/49/

And the Browning Pro 40

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/f...&item=051252394

Edited by Middle Man

Kimber...3 different "backstrap" inserts to adjust POA.... Now that seems to address a very common comment/complaint of people who try to move back and forth between Glocks and 1911 style guns. If the gun is durable and dependable I would predict it will be a Very successful offering.

Have ya'll checked the new 45 acp from springfield :) , SFG86684 Hi-Cap XD model 5 in. 13 rd, with purchase this year comes free cse, two magazines, kydex belt holster , double mag holder and magazine loader, saw one at the last 1500 gun and knive show at indy for 460.00. But I was already commited to another gun pruchase, but at that price I'll have one in a month :)

I think the M&P may be close as well. The new kimber seems made for it as well. And if you think about it for a bit a LDA single stack makes it too .. after all mainspring housing shape can be considered variable backstraps, can't they?

The specs for the new requested pistol:
Maximum quantities are: 45,000 no external safety JCP configuration and 600,000 JCP with the external safety configuration; ... 96,050 Standard Capacity Magazines; 192,099 High Capacity Magazines;

Is it me or are they expecting to buy more guns than magazines?

The specs for the new requested pistol:
Maximum quantities are: 45,000 no external safety JCP configuration and 600,000 JCP with the external safety configuration; ... 96,050 Standard Capacity Magazines; 192,099 High Capacity Magazines;

Is it me or are they expecting to buy more guns than magazines?

Could it be that these are additional mags and the gun comes with 2 mags from the factory?

Cep, I am curious as to your statement about Glocks and mags. The mags fly out of all my Glocks.

Joe, I bought my G23 when they were new. The original mags never fell out with gravity. As I understood it I was told that Glock did not intend the mags to fall free. Now, perhaps the mags are different today.

I am looking to get a new pistol and have posted about that etc. Basically my G 23 is straight factory and has never given me any problems in all these years. I have never replaced or repaired anything. But I do notice now that the original mags swell somewhat with a fullly loaded magazine.

Likely, soon I will retire this G23 when I decide on what I want. There are almost too many choices.