Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pastels, Big Hair, Armani Suits And The Bren-10

ChuckS

Just when I thought I had got all the time wasters under control, a new channel popped up on my cable system called "Sleuth TV". And yup, they are showing Miami Vice reruns. I can't seem to find any web page for programming yet but the on line guide in my cable box shows one episode repeated a few times during the day.

Here's the bad news: They seem to be running the episodes in order. They just showed "One Eyed Jack" and "No Exit" is next. That seems to indicate that I just missed "Calderone's Return" with that unforgettable scene where Jim Zubiena does that draw from concealment. :(

Later Pal,

Chuck

I hope when I get home that channel is on my lineup with Cox Cable! That was an awesome scene!

Side note: the unload and drop the gun on the security guys chest was "allegedly" an unplanned part of the action. Jim just did it and it looked so cool that they kept it in the show!

• 1 month later...

LOL..

I can remember seeing that show for the first time and going to my favorite IPSC hangout gun store and watching all the guys try to do their draw from concealment...

Jim Zubiena is awesome...I have that episode somewhere on a VHS tape...

also liked the one where sonny is in the swamp and does the house clearing with his Bren 10....

Ahh...the Bren 10. And then the S&W 645...But did any of you Miami Vice Fanatics notice that when Sonny went over to the dark side, (when he got thumped on the head, had amnesia, and went to work for the drug lords) he used a two-tone SIG...(either P226 or P220)

And am I the only one who admired Tubb's choice of a back up gun: that sawed off double barrel shotgun in the first season. Also, who did the custom suits that allowed him to carry that folding pistol gripped pump shotgun, in a shoulder rig? With perfect concealment, of course. B) Now that's a tailer that I might want to know.

The Jim Zubiena scene is fantastic...what would be really cool is for Duane Thomas to do an interview with Jim to find out about that scene..How did it come about, did Jim have any creative input..break it down frame by frame..sweep, draw, Mozambique, unload, drop walk away...

It would be very cool to get the imput from Jim about that and what he thought..

I think seeing some of the old Magnum PI episodes would be fun. The humor in the show was always good.

Miami Vice, though, eeek! Never saw the episode with Jim, that I am aware of, but I was about 18 at the time and didn't know anything about shooting.

The channel sounds cool.

Liota

I watched the entire first season recently and saw that clip.. Netflix is very cool. I wish I could remember which disk it was on. I remember running through that scene several times, amazed and impressed the whole time.

Vince

Tightloop: the Jim Zubiena interview you were asking for has already been done. Try Harris Publications "Combat Handguns", June 1986

Jon Winokur wrote the article, titled "Miami Vice" The Pro in Action (page 18-19 and 68-69)

in which Zubiena was interviewed about the episode, explains who, what, when, where, as well as why a SPAS-12 actually worked... :wacko:

There are even photo's and the (in)famous Mozambique in 1.33 seconds, from concealment is described.

wlktheduk

Super info...but my stash of old Combat Handgunner mags has disappeared...and since you know the month, and even the page numbers, perhaps you could scan it and post it for all to read...I would love that..thanks a million...

• 2 weeks later...

The Zubiena episode is on the Sleuth Channel, tomorrow, Saturday 18 March

Sat, March 18 8:00 PM MIAMI VICE CALDERONE'S RETURN - PART 1

Sat, March 18 11:00 PM MIAMI VICE CALDERONE'S RETURN - PART 1

Sat, March 18 2:00 AM MIAMI VICE CALDERONE'S RETURN - PART 1

Sat, March 18 5:00 AM MIAMI VICE CALDERONE'S RETURN - PART 1

All times Eastern