Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any A/M/GM shooters switch to a green dot?

The only reason I’m requesting A+ impressions is that shot calling and dot movement at the A/M/GM level is above a certain standard. 

I tried a green dot on PCC and had a very difficult time on grassy and snowy berms. I went back to my preferred red dot. 

On static targets, any dot is fine but I still feel that for pistol and PCC I like the tracking of red dots. 

With the Holosun 507comp coming in green, I’m wondering if anyone has switched and prefers green to red in an action pistol application. 

I don’t seem to hear about green 510/512 on PCCs as much but I would love some other people’s opinions on what they’ve noticed with green dots. 

I am or at least I "was" an A limited shooter.  I accidentally ordered a green reticle Eotech.  It's horrible and I have astigmatism.  Red is way better for me.  It's on a JP5 that I never shoot, but it will be replaced with the Holosun version in Red.  

I am or at least "was" (thank you RangerTrace! I like it stated this way!) in SCSA.

I have tried 3, 6 and 8 MOA green dots from a couple companies because the green fiber optic is (for me) way easier to see. Not so with dots. I have replaced them all with red and use the greens for my fun guns where the rate of fire precludes the need for precision. If you get my drift.

I've shot both and either seems fine to me. Not sure I really have a preference of one over the other. Most of my dots are red, just because that's what I was using before I tried a green. I was worried the green might pull my eye to it more so was hesitant to try one. But once I did I didn't have any issues and have no problem jumping on the gun with the green dot. I do think it seems brighter then some of my reds, but that could just be something with that particular optic.

ymmv

I switched, and love it.  Green picks up so much better than red, it’s remarkable, but the human eye favors green light wavelengths so it also makes perfect sense.  

I use a green dot on my PCC and pistols, but I have a red RTS2 V5 on my Rimfire rifle

I’m GM in SCSA with RFRO, RFPO, PCCO, and a paper GM in USPSA with PCC.

I use a green dot with RFPO and PCCO, red dot with RFRO

Realistically I think it’s a marginal difference at most. So many other factors play into getting GM. I prefer green because of the “science” saying humans’ eyes pick it up faster than red. However, most top shooters use red out of habit so I think it’s an irrelevant distinction

I got a green Viridian RFX to try but the dot looks like a cloverleaf to me. I sent it back and got another one and it's the same way. The SRO looks like a perfect circle to me so I don't think it's my eyeballs. That said I do like the green, in general, but I've only shot it indoors so far. 

Posted (edited)

If you can't see the red dot, turn up the brightness.

I've used both with grass and dirt backgrounds, and I don't have a preference (but I really do, because red is cheaper). My PCC has green and pistol has red.

Edited by LuckyDucky

• 1 month later...

I just ran in to this same ? as I bought a new backup LO piece and it has the same 507 Comp on it as my primary weapon, but the dot is green. 

I've used it several times and don't feel like there's all that much difference between the two.  It's an aiming device and my eyes seem to see it fine, regardless of the color (red or green).