Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45.ACP minor load, for IPSC Classic.

I have a Kimber Custom TLE II in 45.ACP which I use for IPSC, Steel Challenge and different kinds of bullseye shooting here in Denmark and Europe.

I am currently shooting major handloads, with a cast and powdercoated 235gr. RN bullet and N310 - they run great in my Kimber! (the targets are shot at from 25M/27yards)

9AAF897B-C209-4AFD-96ED-127C41ACECAF.jpeg.4ee21bfd4e1b7a7273aba1c8112c7638.jpeg

But the major loads only really make sense for IPSC, and since I'm only shooting for fun, I'm considering a softer shooting 45.ACP minor load instead.

But does a 45.ACP minor load make sense? And how low can i go? 

When i look at load data for N310 (which is my preferred powder) all the start loads are pretty close to major powerfactor. For this to make sense, the loads need to be soft shooting targets loads, and not almost major loads. 

I prefer a RN bullet, as they seemed most reliable in my Kimber. I have tried 200 gr. SWC loads before, but they are not reliable enough for competition.

Any sugestions? 

45 minor for ipsc doesn't make any sense. Since it has to fit in a box you are going to be limited to 8 rounds. So no sense shooting 45 minor there

If you want to shoot minor in your other stuff, that shouldn't be an issue other than maybe swapping a recoil spring 

36 minutes ago, RJH said:

45 minor for ipsc doesn't make any sense. 

Totaly agree.

The only benefit would be a softer shooting load, and one load to fit all. 

not sure what kinda powders you have available, I know nothing about VV without looking them up.. But lower power 45 acp generally involves using a powder that takes up alot of room per grain to get good accuracy.. WST, is good.. 231 isnt ok,, you can look up a CC to the grain chart and figure things out..
Lots and lots of people shoot 45 acp minor with good results.. ICORE ( think IPSC but revolvers only) 45acp revolvers ruled as they were easiest to reload, PF required was 120.. same set up was popular in IDPA as well, at 125 pf.... rules have changed a bit in both games so you dont see the 45 revolvers as much now.. But yes you can make decent 45 minor ammo.. Just gotta pick the right powders.. 180-230 dr bullets seem the norm

Edit just looked them up,, VV310 and VV320 are both pretty high volume per grain powders,, should work fine at lower PF..

Edited by Joe4d

I am loading .45 Minor with 3.6 grains Bullseye and a 200 gr coated bullet.  Same dose of N310 should get you started.

I DO have a reduced recoil spring.  

If you do not want to have to bother with that, you can gradually reduce your powder charge until you find the lightest load that will cycle the slide.  

I don't think .45 Minor makes much sense for IPSC, either. You still have only 8 rounds in the magazine, and you lose the higher scoring for C and D hits. A 230gr (or 235) loaded to make Major is not abusive, and it is pretty much a sweet spot for N310.

You could try 185 or 200gr bullets near the minimums that Vihtavuori suggests, to get around 155 or 160PF. I suspect that pressures will be low enough that you start getting lots of soot in the pistol. More cleaning to do...

5 hours ago, perttime said:

I don't think .45 Minor makes much sense for IPSC, either. You still have only 8 rounds in the magazine, and you lose the higher scoring for C and D hits. 

I agree - from a competitive point of view, it dosnt make any sense.

But 45.ACP isnt really the way to go for IPSC Classic to begin with. Everyone is shooting 9mm minor - atleast around here in Europe. 

I am primaraly shoothing for for fun, so to loose a few points isnt that big of a deal.

Having one load to fit all would be nice thoug, and i think i would benefit more from a softer load in SC and bullseye. 

I tried to get a .45 Minor load to work in my G30SF, and with a 200gr I went so low that the gun didn’t cycle (650fps) and then gradually increased the power charge in tenths.  In the end, I still needed a border line major load for reliability due to temperature variations.

The best way to find out is to start playing with your handloads until you get a recipe that works. 

• 1 month later...

I used to shoot .45 minor in USPSA Production. Mostly because I had a M&P 45 - couldn't decide on which production gun to buy - and I wanted to compete against the good shooters who all shot production at that time.

I literally shot thousands and thousands of rounds.  I loaded 185 and 180g coated bullets with 4.2 of Bullseye, Red Dot or Tight Group for about a 135 PF.  

Good luck.