Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Clean Slide Ports From Ported Barrel Crud

The ported barrel of my MPA DS9 has about 1,000 rounds thru it now, shooting primarily coated bullets. I've noticed crud building up along the slide ports that correspond with the barrel ports. I'm trying to find out the best way to clean off the crud without damaging the black nitride finish. 

The techniques I've read about for cleaning comp ports like a Dremel with a wire brush, scraping with a pick, etc sound like they would damage the finish.

Anyone have any nondestructive cleaning techniques?

Thanks.

P.s. I am able to clean the stainless barrel ports with a small brass wire brush.

No personal experience but from reading online seems a lot of folks have success w CLR. No harm in asking MPA if they think its an acceptable method.

3 hours ago, mpom said:

No personal experience but from reading online seems a lot of folks have success w CLR. No harm in asking MPA if they think its an acceptable method.

Is the CLR you are referencing the product made for cleaning calcium, lime, and rust deposits?  Thanks.

Yeah. Walmart, HD, Lowes all carry it. Am going to dunk my muzzle brake and carbine muzzle in it for an hour to clean off carbon.

May affect Cerakote from what I have read but safe for carbon steel.

Do some research, don't want to steer you wrong.

Came across the following when searching about using CLR on black nitride:

Yes, CLR (Calcium, Lime, and Rust Remover) can damage a black nitride finish and discolor it pink. CLR is acidic and can etch and damage certain surfaces, and the manufacturer doesn't recommend using it on metals other than chrome or stainless steel. Polished finishes often have a coating, and CLR could compromise the finish

I've reached out to MPA to see if they recommend anything specific. After spending this much money I don't want to ruin the finish.

34 minutes ago, zzt said:

Stop shooting coated bullets.

I'm going to. I'm gonna start shooting the Precision Delta JHP that you recommended.

23 hours ago, LHshooter said:

I'm going to. I'm gonna start shooting the Precision Delta JHP that you recommended.

If you switch immediately, you will begin cleaning the comp and ports just by shooting.  I'd scrape off as much as you can first, then shoot.  Years ago, a bullet manufacturer swore his coating was safe for Open.  He lied.  I loaded some minor up and went to the range.  At the end of the session, I noticed the poppels had begun to close and there was some buildup in the comp.

I changed recoil setups and shot major.  The poppels were open after the first two shots.  8-9 more and they were free of lead.  The comp took longer.  Do this in an open area with a good breeze.  Until everything isa clean, you are vaporizing lead.  You definitely do not want to be breathing that.

56 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you switch immediately, you will begin cleaning the comp and ports just by shooting.  I'd scrape off as much as you can first, then shoot.  Years ago, a bullet manufacturer swore his coating was safe for Open.  He lied.  I loaded some minor up and went to the range.  At the end of the session, I noticed the poppels had begun to close and there was some buildup in the comp.

I changed recoil setups and shot major.  The poppels were open after the first two shots.  8-9 more and they were free of lead.  The comp took longer.  Do this in an open area with a good breeze.  Until everything isa clean, you are vaporizing lead.  You definitely do not want to be breathing that.

Thanks for all that helpful info. Much appreciated

I just heard back from a gunsmith at MPA. He told me they recommend Hoppes Black high performance gun cleaner. Said it does a good job of cleaning and doesn't hurt their black nitride finish. Also said to use a plastic punch to remove the tough stuff. Said a small screwdriver is okay if you are careful.

I use the breakthrough all in one. Pour it in a cup and then soak the comp or end of slide in it for 20-30 minutes and it will scrape out with a hard plastic scraper or a pick. 

Edited by xjwalt666
spelling