Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2006

Boo,

Yes, Id bring about 400-450 for the hell of it, just in case. Ive shot Frank's match every years since the beginning (except 1 year, thanks to work!) and it is always in the high 200's or 300's. Great match, but they do get started early.

Like Leo said, daylight is a commodity. As soon as daylight breaks, first rounds are going to be headed downrange. Its a b&$ch and a half when you're squadded on a stage that starts facing east cause you get that sun just coming over the berm and you'll be shooting as soon as daylight breaks. Almost everyone gets to do it though b/c 6 or 7 bays are on the east side of the range facing east.

No biggie. Id bring the extra round in case you have to do a re-shoot for whatever reason. Some of Franks stages run 30 round or so. Do that once or twice and extra shots on hard steel (like Chuck said) and you could be close.

Boo,

Yes, Id bring about 400-450 for the hell of it, just in case. Ive shot Frank's match every years since the beginning (except 1 year, thanks to work!) and it is always in the high 200's or 300's. Great match, but they do get started early.

Like Leo said, daylight is a commodity. As soon as daylight breaks, first rounds are going to be headed downrange. Its a b&$ch and a half when you're squadded on a stage that starts facing east cause you get that sun just coming over the berm and you'll be shooting as soon as daylight breaks. Almost everyone gets to do it though b/c 6 or 7 bays are on the east side of the range facing east.

No biggie. Id bring the extra round in case you have to do a re-shoot for whatever reason. Some of Franks stages run 30 round or so. Do that once or twice and extra shots on hard steel (like Chuck said) and you could be close.

Thx all -- I might bring an even 500, then. My only reluctance is that I'm flying, and I'm not sure how strict Delta is on the 11lb weight limit. What I'll do, I think, is ship 250 in advance, and bring 250 on the plane. If worse comes to worse, is it possible to buy ammo at the match from a vendor? ( I know USPSA has a new deal where one can order it in advance, but I already have so much .40 major loaded up, I hate to spending another $100...).

Oh, are there food vendors there? Or should one bring one's own lunch?

I remember from a class I took there, this fall, it was pretty rainy and the ground got swampy; is February pretty dry around there?

I'm really looking forward to this!

Boo,

Last year there were a few food vendors and there were lunches available.

Staff came around to the stages at lunch time with sandwiches, chips and drinks.

It's a long day and I suggest you bring something to snack on.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous.

About 72 deg. low humidity and electric blue sky.

This year, who knows?

I can't wait.

Tls

They do have a staff that makes lunch. I normally just bring my own to make sure. I dont know about buying ammo at the match. If you bring 400-425, you should be fine and if you're getting close, most everyone will help out here and there.

Weather was great, although a little chilly Friday morning for a few hours, until it warmed up.

I spoke with the folks at Precision Delta, and they are all set to ship the USPSA ammo order to the Frank Garcia's facility on next Monday or Tuesday (Feb 6 or 7). The on-line ammo ordering system will accept orders for the match until Precision Delta grabs the packing list to fill the order (you can find the system at www.uspsa.org/ammo.

We have 78 boxes ordered so far, and I am certain that both Precision Delta and USPSA understand the importance of not Equadoring(*) this order.

Rob

* - A new term I just invented :).

=====================

And a PS to Boo -

There is no minimum on the number of boxes you can order through the program. If you are close on the 11 lbs, it's fine to order 1 or 2 boxes to augment your supply, and this does not increase the price per box.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

A few more information morsels for those with an interest:

As is usual for the Open, each match has a theme and this year it is SPORTS.

The individual stage themes are as follows:

Dominos

Sky Diving

Baseball

Hunting

Bowling

Gambling

Soccer

Golf

Competitive Eating (my personal favorite)

Nascar

There will be 292 Rounds with 30 of those rounds being steel in the form of poppers or plates. The rest of the shots are the usual Open Turtle targets.

Three of the stages are 32 round field courses with no steel.

There are 2 or 3 disappearing targets and a few "unusual" activated swingers.

The Future Farmers (I think) are doing the food this year for breakfast & lunch. I'm told they do a good job and will have several choices available.

As always there will be many vendors there and Frank will have some loaded ammo to sell if needed.

I will pass along anything else that comes my way....

Leo

Lawman,

The chrono stage at the Florida Open is operated a little differently than it is at the Nationals (or anywhere else for that matter). Roy always has a listing of (expensive) gun parts, that he needs for his next project, posted prominently on the chrono shed. If you were to be declared minor, you would be given a few minutes to run to the vendors tent and purchase one of the remaining items on the list and present it to Roy for his evaluation. If the item meets with his approval, there is an EXCELLENT chance that your chrono data would be recalculated. ;)

Leo

How does this affect the match ammo chrono procedure. I thought the idea was to use the same ammo throughout the match. Otherwise someone can just declare Precision Delta and use their wuss loads for the rest of the match.

The acceptance a "declared power factor" applies only if you are using the official match ammo for the entire match. If you use a mixture, you are subject to standard chrono procedures.

USPSA's testing of the PD ammo has yeilded major pwoer factors. Also, the chances you will get to this ammo is actually slim if you bring "barely enough" to shoot the match, and order a box or two of match ammo as your "insurance policy" against using more rounds than planned, a reshoot on a long stage, etc.

Glad I checked here before flying out for the match!

I was thinking like an 8 or 9 start time- :blink:

Can't wait to shoot the match! Now I'll get there in time for the WHOLE match :lol:

Anybody know if you can preview the stages if you get there the day before?

Dave M.

Edited by Dave Marques

Anybody know if you can preview the stages if you get there the day before?

Dave M.

Dave,

You will be free to walk the range and see all that you can see. Unless you are there on Thursday, the stages will be running shooters and RO's and you will probably not be able to walk through the stages except for between squads (if there is break between them).

Leo

I'm arriving on Thurs and shooting Friday, so I will try to get there Thurs to look them over if I can. Dave Olhasso shot the match last year and his low-down was to do as much prep as possible for Frank's match-he said there were a lot of targets you could slide by and miss if you didn't have a sound game plan.

Thanks for the info!

By the way -Do you actually shoot 9x25? Haven't seen (or more truthfully HEARD) one of those in quitre a number of years!!!! I remember when you could ID one of those two pits away!

Edited by Dave Marques

By the way -Do you actually shoot 9x25? Haven't seen (or more truthfully HEARD) one of those in quitre a number of years!!!! I remember when you could ID one of those two pits away!

If you ever shot a match where Leo is in attendance, you wouldn't have to ask that question. You can hear his gun THREE pits away.

Having said that, his newest 9x25 - the one without any barrel ports - was very nice to shoot. But not to stand next to when someone ELSE shoots it - ouch!!

If you come early to Frank's tournament [or any tournament] it's a good idea to walk the perimeter of each bay & make sure you find & make a plan for every single target. Don't just look through the props. If you bring a buddy, you can do both at the same time.

There IS some uneven ground on Frank's bays, be careful & don't twist an ankle. The actual shooting positions are usually flat & clear of hazards.

Yeppeee!

Bags packed, gun and ammo ready...

If you happen to be shooting on friday, and you happen to spot a white t-shirt with green and red stripes (or you see sparks flying from a lightsaber) stop by and say hi: I'll be there... ;)

Kevin,

The official response is:

For Friday Shooters:

Registration for Friday shooters will be on Thursday afternoon from 2:00PM until 5:00PM and again Friday morning starting around 6:00AM, all at the range. There will be a shooters briefing at 7:00 sharp Friday and shooting starts at 7:30.

Just run the lights and siren and you can make it there by 4:00 and have plenty of time to see the stages and register. :P

Leo