Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand, weak hand, operator error?

ysrracer

I'm getting in some practice for the Salt Lake City match. I'm shooting my S&W 627. .38 Short Colt, 160gr Bayou, 3gr of Clays, Starline brass, Federal SPP.

At 25 yards with two hands, all in the A zone on a USPSA target.

Strong hand at 10 yards, aiming at the center of the A, all in the A zone.

Weak hand at 10 yards, aiming at the center of the A, all six inches high, six inches right. (Think 2 o'clock on a clock face)

If I aim at the lower left corner of the A zone, all in the center.

It's obviously operator error, but what the heck am I doing wrong?

Not something to correct this late for that match.

I had the same issue for quite some time.  Was due to lack of practice with proper technique.

It's an issue of getting used to isolating the weak hand trigger finger.  Takes practice and repetition.

YR:

Try canting the revolver.  Ergonomically it is much more natural a position and you will find it to be steadier and give a better (more direct) trigger pull.  Just that you will need to break the shot at about 10 on the target.  Bullets always go down and in the direction of the cant.  I will say that your hold will be better, trigger pull better, and confidence in weak hand will increase.

Salt Lake.  Ugh.  Two solid day drive.  Did the SC match there last summer and do not want to make that drive again.  Hope the wind is coming from the South because there is a significant garbage dump directly to the North.  

The ranges are good and the staff there runs a professional and well organized match.  Ought to be pretty decent, given a south wind of course.

GG

This would be solved easily if you have a dot revo and dryfire.  You would see the dot being driven down if you are focusing properly.  I guess you could see it with irons but its much harder

12 hours ago, BHBret said:

Have you tried holding the revolver at about 45 degrees “half-gangsta” style? 

Tried? I only shoot "full gangsta" style :)

11 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Are you bringing the gun up to your dominant eye as if it was in your right hand? 

Yes. I used to shoot with both eyes open, and I still shoot sporting clays shotgun with both eyes open, but I've had eye issues and surgeries, so now I have to shoot handguns with my right dominant eye.

All I'm looking at is the front sight.

35 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

This would be solved easily if you have a dot revo and dryfire.  You would see the dot being driven down if you are focusing properly.  I guess you could see it with irons but its much harder

A dot, you mean like the girlie men use? :)

Son, I've been looking at the front sight since I was knee high to a black and white TV, a Telex machine, an 8mm movie projector, a 78 LP player, a rotary phone booth... it's too late for me to change.

Probably heeling and pushing the trigger sideways, I do the same. When I pull with my WH trigger finger it tightens up the bottom of my palm (opposite thumb) and pushes the muzzle up. Plus that index finger isn’t as flexy as the SH one. 🙄

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Probably heeling and pushing the trigger sideways, I do the same. When I pull with my WH trigger finger it tightens up the bottom of my palm (opposite thumb) and pushes the muzzle up. Plus that index finger isn’t as flexy as the SH one. 🙄

What does heeling mean?

52 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

What does heeling mean?

Applying pressure with the heel of yours palm as you trigger the shot.  Opposite of milking.  Only good repetitions will fix it.

Try pressing the trigger slow with a surprise break, only think about the trigger. If it’s not an eye issue it has to be a hand issue. 

8 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Applying pressure with the heel of yours palm as you trigger the shot.  Opposite of milking.  Only good repetitions will fix it.

Bingo!

14 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

To each their own.  While I don't like shooting irons I am much better with them now than before I started shooting with a dot.  I was as surprised as anyone.

I used to shoot ICORE but havent been for several years. As far as shooting with an optic a discussion I had with a good shooter convinced me to give it a try.  He always shot Limited and Singlestack with iron sights of course but he started shooting Carry Optics with a slide mounted optic. Later he noticed that his iron sight shooting had improved and he wished he'd tried an optic years ago.

I've been shooting in the provisional Limited Optics, still getting used to it but improving. The first time I shot with iron sights again I could tell I was using target focus more. 

21 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

To each their own.  While I don't like shooting irons I am much better with them now than before I started shooting with a dot.  I was as surprised as anyone.

I'm just joking with ya. Dots are cool.

8 hours ago, MHicks said:

I used to shoot ICORE but havent been for several years. As far as shooting with an optic a discussion I had with a good shooter convinced me to give it a try.  He always shot Limited and Singlestack with iron sights of course but he started shooting Carry Optics with a slide mounted optic. Later he noticed that his iron sight shooting had improved and he wished he'd tried an optic years ago.

I've been shooting in the provisional Limited Optics, still getting used to it but improving. The first time I shot with iron sights again I could tell I was using target focus more. 

Practicing with a Dot tells you where your grip and trigger work are lacking.  But at the expense of learning the sight picture needed for a given shot with iron sights.

With the trend for Dots on all things Iron Sights are becoming dinosaurs!  Heck even USPSA is looking at allowing Dots on Revolvers!  Oh the humanity.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Practicing with a Dot tells you where your grip and trigger work are lacking.  But at the expense of learning the sight picture needed for a given shot with iron sights.

With the trend for Dots on all things Iron Sights are becoming dinosaurs!  Heck even USPSA is looking at allowing Dots on Revolvers!  Oh the humanity.

It might be different for new shooters who are initially learning with a dot. Good shooters who have been using irons for 10-20-30 years already know how to align them the sights. If the benefit for them using an optic is improving their grip and trigger control their overall iron sight shooting improves also.

I treat the front red fiber like a dot and it works.

Until you are under a canopy on a dark cloudy day shooting static steel.  note to self: shoot dots on dark days

1 hour ago, MHicks said:

It might be different for new shooters who are initially learning with a dot. Good shooters who have been using irons for 10-20-30 years already know how to align them the sights. If the benefit for them using an optic is improving their grip and trigger control their overall iron sight shooting improves also.

Agreed 100%.  I would recommend to new shooters to learn irons first.  But im probably wrong.  Ease, supposedly, of use reigns supreme in the modern world though.

And I am just a grumpy old dinosaur!🙉

On 3/21/2024 at 11:54 AM, MikeyScuba said:

I treat the front red fiber like a dot and it works.

Until you are under a canopy on a dark cloudy day shooting static steel.  note to self: shoot dots on dark days

Once I got a gun that the grip angle was correct for me and learned to just use the front sight I hardly notice the rear sight. If I’m testing loads then I’ll line it up a little more carefully. Sure took a lot years to soak in!🤣

Edited by Farmer