Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mags And 147 Jhp Zeros

Clay1

Maybe I should have put this in the Glock section of the boards but I feel it is more of a reloading question so here it is.

I loaded up some of my new Zero 147 gr JHP for my G34. I loaded 3.4 grains of Viht N320 in mixed brass with a Fed primer to 1.155 nominal.

When I prepped my brass I put a couple hundred cases in a gallon zip lock and sprayed about 1.5 seconds worth of One Shot lube on the cases, shook the bag and loaded. I felt that this was a very light application of One Shot. I'm loading with the Lee carbide 4 Die Deluxe set with the FCD.

They didn't feed out of the magazine very well and it is probably that they are too long for overal length. The second batch I loaded to 1.150 nominal and still some stick in the mags or don't feed correctly. With my technique I get a +/- of .005 so the first ones ran about 1.150 to 1.160 and the second ones ran about 1.145 to 1.155. Should I go down to 1.145 nominal?

Do you think that I should tumble loaded rounds? I didn't like the idea of tumbling loaded rounds, but did wipe off the rounds. I don't think that the One Shot lube is causing the feeding problems. With the little bit that I put on it was hard to tell that there was any lube on them, but I did wipe them with a cloth.

Open to ideas and thanks for the help.

Rick

9mm Glock mags don't usually mind rounds loaded as long as 1.155" but I find that under 1.150" is better when JHP tips are involved. In this case, I think 1.140 and under would be a better OAL choice for ya'.

With my open glock I have no problems at all with JHPs loaded to 1.150" - by that I mean that almost every single round is no longer than 1.150. Adjust to whatever length will get almost all your rounds below the number you want.

You have to check often. Don't squeeze the caliper at the roller button [gives a false-small reading] but instead press the jaws directly outside the 2 ends of your ammo round.

Also have no problems with using a lot of One-Shot. I use a box instead of a bag & tumble the box & brass in my hands about 10-12 times then wait 1 minute then load. After loading I get as much of the one-shot off as I can using a towel, then put the loaded rounds in Ziplock bags & bleed most of the air out of the bags. Keeps the 1-shot from drying out & gumming up.

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate a little help and a push in the right direction.

The 147 gr Zeros JHP that I am loading do not have lead at the tips. The Jacket goes all the way to the tip. The hollow point is rather large though and the profile is not as pointed as the FMJ rounds.

I put them back in the press and seated to a nominal of 1.145. I put a caliper on every round and no round is over 1.150. I loaded up some mags and they feed much better. The next group that I do I will do the nominal of 1.140 and the long ones will go to 1.145 just as a measure of safety / reliability.

So, one more time. Do you guys tumble your loaded rounds or just wipe them off? Thanks,

Rick

When I bought the Zero bullets I asked for some loading info which they don't have. They recomended that I start with a load with the same bullet weight by one of the other manufacturers. What they did have available was the spec at which they load their ammunition to. I stumbled across this info tonight and noticed that they load the 147 JHP to only 1.120 for one load and only 1.105 for the other load. I guess that I can go shorter. This is what they sent me:

"ZERO AMMUNITION

SPEC SHEET CALIBER: 9MM

BULLET TYPE & WEIGHT POWDER BRAND POWDER WEIGHT OVERALL LENGTH PRODUCT NUMBER

115 Grain FMJ HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #904, #905, #906

115 Grain JHP HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #901,#902,#903

115 Grain JSP HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #907,#908,#909

124 Grain FMJ HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #924,#925,#926

125 Grain JSP HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #911,#912,#913

125 Grain JHP HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #921,#922,#923

147 Grain JHP HS7 6.2/5.8 1.120/1.105 #947,#948,#949

147 Grain FMJ HS7 6.2/5.8 1.110/1.095 #950,#951,#952

124 Grain TMJ HP38 5.0 1.110/1.095 #914,#915,#916

CRIMP: .376/.375

FLARE SPEC: .390/.385

All ammunition packaged 50/box : 1000/case"

I know that when changing overal length the pressure in the case changes and I need to work up a load again, but find their overal length interesting.

Rick

I spritz an old towel with a sprayer full of isopropyl alcohol, dump on a couple hundred rounds, add another spritz on top of the ammo, fold over the towel and rub for a few seconds. The rounds come out with most of the One Shot removed. My prior gumming up problem now gone (though eric's trick w/ the baggies sounds intriguing).

The towel eventually needs to be laundered or thrown out. With exposed lead containing ammo you might want to consider not mixing the towels with your dinner napkins and bath towels. Cheapo bundled towels are available at Costco for a song...

Edited by kevin c

I noticed the same as Nik when I was comparing some factory WW JHP 9x19 to my handrolls. The average OAL on a Silvertip 115 gr was 1.110 and some were as short as 1.105" !!

Do not just go that short with any existing charge data. As Nik said, work it back up carefully. That short of an OAL makes for a pretty small case volume.

Hi Rick. You don't need to lube brass if you use carbide dies. I tumble all my match ammo for about 7 to 10 minutes after they are loaded. Helps find loose primer pockets.( the primers will start to back out after they are tumbled). Find 3 to 5 per 500 rounds. Mostly in 38 super. Some in 40 S&W . 1 to 3 per 500 rds. Don't use media with hollow points. Media gets stuck in hollow points. See ya Sunday. (My 2 cents worth)

I measured a Blazer 115 and it went 1.152" just as a reference point.

I shot the ones today that were 1.145 nominal and they all fed through the mags without a hitch. This time around I reduced the powder charge very slightly to 3.3 grains of N320. This load is super sweet. It's almost like I feel that I am cheating shooting this stuff. The muzzle flip is drastically reduced over the 140 pf Blazer round. It might sound funny but it seems to me that I can track my sights better during recoil with this load vs. the Blazers. Time will tell.

Squishy and I have a qualifier match this Sunday. I thought that I was just going to shoot the Blazer since I have just started with this load, but now I am going to shoot this stuff for the match on Sunday and look forward to doing well (for me).

Thanks for all of the help and support guys.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I run 147gr Zero's at about 1.145" though mine tend to only vary about +-.002"

I've not had any length related failures, though I could see if you were loading much longer there could be problems with feeding.

Keep in mind, functioning lengths for different bullets may vary. Zero's I believe have a pretty large hollow point. What works with one profile may not with another.

Pull a basepad off of one of your mags and remove the guts. Take a look at the front corners of the mags. I guarantee that the shoulder of the bullet is getting caught up a bit there, causing your feeding problems. Just to check, take some of those long(er) loaded rounds and load up the mag body while it's upside down. You'll probably see a bit of contact at the front corners between the bullet and the mag.

• 2 weeks later...

After 2000 rounds of this stuff I settled on 1.14 nominal so no round goes over 1.145 ever. No feeding issues at this link with this load. I also Chronied the 3.3 grains of Vihta Vuori in my G34 and it averaged 873 with the stock barrel for a power factor of 128.3. I bumped it one more tenth to 3.4 for a little more cushion.

Kevin C, I finally bought some Iso Alchohol and a spray bottle. The towel trick is working great. I like the Honady One shot since the press runs very smoothly with it and with less effort even though it is not needed I like it and it is cheap for how long it lasts.

Rick

I have no problems in my G34 with Zero147JHP loaded out to 1.16OAL.

I also tumble loaded rounds for about five minutes to get the one shot off. Some media gets stuck in the hollow point some times, but they blow out easily enough.

• 1 month later...

I also tumble loaded rounds for about five minutes to get the one shot off. Some media gets stuck in the hollow point some times, but they blow out easily enough.

+1 on tumbling loaded rounds covered in lube. 5-10 minutes in the tumbler and they are GTG. Just remember to check the hollow point cavities if you are loading HP's, and check the primers for loose pockets.

Alray, my gun won't function a single round at 1.160. Consider yourself lucky. On the media blowing out easily it depends on the media. The corn corb stuff that I am using, I tried to blow it out at 120 psi and it wouldn't come out. I was thinking of using some of the newer micro type media that also doesn't get caught in the primer pockets.

Rick