Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost the set screw on my rear sight.

I have a High Standard 1911 (Armscor, Philippines gun) and I just noticed the set screw in the rear sight is gone.  I did not notice it coming out, so I suppose it went from loose to gone during a stage.  In true redneck gunhack fashion, I started going through all of my spare little screws just to try to figure out thread pitch and size.   I did not manage to find anything close except a random machine thread sling swivel (yes, from a rifle, maybe from a Bergera) seems to be the correct diameter but not thread pitch.  The thread pitch seems quite coarse compared to almost every bolt I have tried - Don't judge me, I was trying everything I had, scope ring screws, grip screws, RC car stuff...  I have not actually tried a micrometer (it was in the other room) yet. 

So, does anyone know off the top of their head what size set screw I might need here?  I was thinking its metric since its not made in the US, but on the other hand it is a 1911, and maybe the rear sight set screw spec might be imperial?  I am probably going to just order a set screw assortment form Amazon, but it might be nice to know exactly what I need to be sure the set covers that size...

histandard.jpg

Perhaps consider calling Armscor....they have awesome customer service. A number of years back I had one of their 1911s I can't recall exactly what concern i had, perhaps the slide lock?  With some hesitation I called for advice and after providing them with the serial number of the firearm they sent me a replacement slide lock as well as a brand new magazine. It really impressed me. My Father loved that pistol and so i gifted it to him. 

Apparently my gun does not exist anymore, and the armscor guns are now RIA...LOL.  So, I found this: https://advancedtactical.com/tactical-rear-adjustable-sight-set-screw-1911/

...but of course, RIA won't send me one because I don't have one of their guns.  I mean I don't blame them, but I also hate spending $10 shipping for a $3 part.   They also won't tell me what the thread spec is...

22 minutes ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Apparently my gun does not exist anymore, and the armscor guns are now RIA...LOL.  So, I found this: https://advancedtactical.com/tactical-rear-adjustable-sight-set-screw-1911/

...but of course, RIA won't send me one because I don't have one of their guns.  I mean I don't blame them, but I also hate spending $10 shipping for a $3 part.   They also won't tell me what the thread spec is...

If you have a decent stocked hardware store in your area you should be able to take the slide with you and find the right setscrew in their screw department. Most of the hardware stores in my area have drawers with various setscrews in US and Metric that you can buy individually. I wouldn't recommend taking the whole gun with you though, might put some people off!🤣

13 hours ago, 392heminut said:

If you have a decent stocked hardware store in your area you should be able to take the slide with you and find the right setscrew in their screw department. Most of the hardware stores in my area have drawers with various setscrews in US and Metric that you can buy individually. I wouldn't recommend taking the whole gun with you though, might put some people off!🤣

Our local ACE has a good stock of fasteners. I know they have M 3 set screws 

RTL

19 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

That sounds like very poor customer service on their part. STI guns became Staccato guns years ago. But I was able to send them my STI gun this past Spring, to replace an extractor under the STI warranty.

And then on top of it all, they won't even tell you what the thread spec is? 

Well, I got back a terse little note that they couldn't help me because Reasons.  Like I said I don't blame them.   I like the Idea of Ace, and I do have one of those kinda close...  If they do have something, I will post up what it is, in case the other guy that bought one of these loses his...

Most likely nobody at ATI knows what it was off the top of their head and nobody wants to go through the effort of researching a ten cent sight screw from a sight they probably bought from some other third party OEM a couple decades ago and might never have known what the thread was.  

Any gunsmith will have a stash of screws and can find one that fits.  There are a huge variety of oddball gun screw sizes #4-48, #5-40, #6-36, #6-48, etc, but if it seems 'coarse' to you, those probably aren't it.

If you have some small drill bits, try poking the back end of them down the hole until you find the closest size that fits.  That will help narrow it down.  A 3/32" drill should be pretty close to a #4 hole, but loose in a #6.