Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 3n37 still a relative option?

jpm2953

Recently picked up an Akai 38sc from a member in our gun club. It came with 30lbs of 3n37. I have 115 and 124 MG projectiles to use. 

I also have some 3n38 and HS6 on hand. 

Is it even worth using the 3n37 when I have 2 other potentially better powders? 

3n37 was a fantastic powder for me when I shot open. I say use it up! It's whatever you prefer I guess. Run some tests to see if you like it. There are some people that would love to take that off your hands if you don't like it.

At the end always shooter's preference ... but for me, I really like VV 3N37 for my OD major loads for many years: small powder grains, powerfull and clean combustion. Too date I never had any issues that were powder related!

It really depends on your gun's configuration.  As suggested, try the 3N37 with your 115s.  If you have lots of poppels, the gun will probably hit your hand harder than you like.  The solution is to make more gas.  Try 3N38.  If the hit is still to hard, sell the 3N37 and try AA7.  Sprinkle the HS-6 on the garden for fertilizer.

I think AA#7 is a good choice if you can find it. However it leaves a ton of unburnt powder (gravel).

I load 3n38 in 9 MaJor with very little issues. A little spilling here and there but fine otherwise

It meters well and is very consistent and clean. I shot up 8lb of it but I wouldn't buy it again, mostly because there are other powders I prefer, but partly because there's a belief/superstition that it wears out barrels and I did in fact wear out a barrel shooting it. If you gave me 30 pounds of it... that's a tough call.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 3N37 for my major loads under 124gr Zero's, works great. 3N38 worked but was too full causing spillage.

A lot of people around here use HS6 but when I tried it it left a fine grit all over the bench. I have a ton of AA#7 but it didn't work that well for major loads. AutoComp worked well too, that would probably be my second choice.