Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Lube?

DanM

I've been using "Gun Butter" on my Glocks, and had good success with it. That product looks like it may work well, too, but I've got no practice experience with it to say one way or the other. If you do try it, keep us posted on the results.

Mike

It's the bees knees for sailing. I'll give it a go this week and report back. I got 500 rnds for my birthday so that ought to be enough to determine how it works in the Glock :D

I've been using "Gun Butter" on my Glocks, and had good success with it. That product looks like it may work well, too, but I've got no practice experience with it to say one way or the other. If you do try it, keep us posted on the results.

Mike

Nothing against any product including our very own forum provider BE; but I use Mobile 1/Kroil for most everything firearm related.

I do need to try Slide Glide out of curiosity though!

FM

Edited by Front Man

Anyone else use Wilson's Ultimalube?

I have been very happy with it on my guns

I tried it on my Kimber at a Gunsite class, it worked OK but gummed up a lot quicker than Slide Glide in the dust.

Didn't try it at gunsite, but I have experienced similar results with the ultimalube.

Depending on the gun, I use a combination of slide-glide, remington dry lube, and CLP.

The pistols are treated with CLP after a good cleaning with a dedicated cleaning agent. Let it dry properly, and slide glidea on all the major contact points. Touch up cleanings in between are primarily a little clp on a patch for the barrel and feed ramp and replenish the slide-glide on major contact points.

I'm not just pushing BE's stuff but I used his Slide Glide in the Area 2 in my single stack and I ran the whole event with NO malfunctions of any kind. I used the Slide Glide prior to that and I have used it religiously since and I have yet to have a malfunction with Slide Glide in my pistol. I have also used Break Free with good results (but not as good).

Anyone else here ever use one of the magic dry lubes instead of a grease/oil type lube? My other vice is sailing and we use this stuff on everything that moves. I shoot a Glock 35 if that helps at all.

Dan

Edited by jasmap

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a follow up. 2000 rnds thru the G35 without a hiccup. These were 180g Rainier Fp with 3.5g's of titegroup. Gun has run fine with the nice CA weather we are having :) I have a feeling that this stuff ought to work really well in the desert as it doesn't attact dust and grit. Sometime this year I'm going to a shooting school out in the sand and I'll post back with those results and let everyone know how it's working out. The new Springfield 1911 9mm will be here next week and I'll give it a go in that as well.

You could use spit and sawdust with a G35 and go 2K rounds. <_<

The dry {wax, teflon, graphite} based lubes are fine if your in an enviroment like a sandbox that will gum up anything using a wet lube.

Dry lubes are not great lubes at protecting your gun from wear over tens of thousands of rounds and will not keep particles in suspension so they may be easly wiped off. Moble 1, FP10, Miltech, Remoil and a bunch of other synthetic wet lubricants will protect a gun from wear much better than any wax or dry lube.

You could use spit and sawdust with a G35 and go 2K rounds. <_<

The dry {wax, teflon, graphite} based lubes are fine if your in an enviroment like a sandbox that will gum up anything using a wet lube.

Dry lubes are not great lubes at protecting your gun from wear over tens of thousands of rounds and will not keep particles in suspension so they may be easly wiped off. Moble 1, FP10, Miltech, Remoil and a bunch of other synthetic wet lubricants will protect a gun from wear much better than any wax or dry lube.

+1 :)

Of course Glock requirements are completely different than a 1911 overall.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't use any of the dry lubes unless I was forced to in a real sandy or dirty environment. I have used break free in my 1911's for a long time - and have tried gun butter and the Wilson ultralube. I think break free is as good as any of them - but I'm a believer in cleaning my guns every time I come back from the range. I just don't believe in trying to find something that will let me cycle 2,000 rounds thru a gun before I have to lube and clean it again - not in my genes ( it would keep me awake at nite, putting dirty guns in the safe ) even if take 5 or 6 of them to the range ( I clean them all ..).. can't help it.