Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Double Alpha primer tube filler

Makes me wonder if some patent expired so they can make a copy-of and also why they developed another primer filler while they already have 2 on the market.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for it,  there are not a whole lot of primer fillers on the market and if it works well and is decently priced I may pick one up so I do no have to change over my RF-100 from SP to LP every so often.

I'll wait for someone else to buy it first though DAA products always seem to go thru some sort of teething stage before they are workable. You only have to check the thread on the other 2 primer fillers. 

This appears to be an upgraded version similar to the Dillon unit.  I got spoiled with my Camdex primer filler and miss it greatly.  This may be a good alternative to that.  

I had three Dillon Units and was never a fan, but many like them, and that's great.  

I am planning on checking this out at SHOT for sure.

The only part from DAA that consistently didn't work was their "primer systems." Even this one seems to address the problems that don't exist and not address the problems that do - jamming around the drop chute. The collator version, which I own (it's on the shelf, not usable), jammed at the drop point. The problem wasn't upside down primers, not flipping them, or even primers getting stuck in some pickup sites, the problem was primers not dropping. 

If anyone is interested, I have Dillon primer filler and two versions of DAA primer systems for sale... cheap. Lol. I'm back to manual pickup for running a manual 1050 and not looking back. Until there is a proper collator system that works for automated presses I'm not switching. 

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am interested in the new one, but my Primer Pro runs like a top.

Which primers? It couldn't fill a single tube of WSP for me, no matter how much I tried to adjust it... 

Almost all exclusively CCI and Federal.  The CCI works really well.  I think the CCI are ever so slightly rounded at the bottom.  At least more so than other primers.  I heard the Primer Pro was a nightmare for WSP primers, so I do not think you are alone.  

There is a learning curve in the maintenance on it and how much force you use to tighten the plate to the bowl.  That force will actually change from primer to primer.  

I don't think the Primer Pro works as well as it should, most definitely seems to be primer type sensitive. With that said it is currently my preferred method of filling primer tubes.

I usually sit and load 16 tubes with primer pro.

If your having issues try changing battery.

Make sure they are coming single file at the mouth of the entrance to the drop. If they are double at this point the primers dont like to drop.

The angle should keep single file moving quick which will make them drop square thus not jamming.

When I first got it I took an over sized drill bit and chamfered the opening just slightly to remove any burr

Maybe I give it another try, especially since I do use Federals for Revo and have recently picked up a batch of small rifle CCI-s for 223. 

But with WSP I have a quick hack that enables me to load up tubes in less than a minute. The way they are packed is "shiny side up" so all I need to do is ensure I can do two flips onto the tray. The first one is easy, all primers end up on a square lattice, but upside down. The second one is the one that requires a trick - if I just flip the tray, primers will move and bunch up. But, I now use a paper towel cut to the size of the flip tray lid (folded twice) on the initial flip so primers end up on the paper towel. When I close the tray, the paper towel provides springy force that keeps primers in place, so when I do the second flip I end up with the perfect lattice of primers ready to pick up. I just lift the paper towel and pick them up. Very fast, no frustration, works every time. Load about 15 tubes and off I go to monkeying the handle on the 1050... 

25 minutes ago, IVC said:

Maybe I give it another try, especially since I do use Federals for Revo and have recently picked up a batch of small rifle CCI-s for 223. 

Be very mindful of how tight the screws are when you screw the bottom plate to the bowl.  I use a bit extension with the required torx bit and tighten the screws finger tight.  If you are using a handle or socket driver you will over tighten them.  Watch the primers as the feed into the tube.  Make sure they are all feeding the tube correct side up.  If you feel it is taking over 1.5 - 2 minutes to feed 1 tube, lighten the tension of the screws.  If you  lighten the tension too much you will end up with upside down primers.  

It take a little patience, but once you figure out how much torque to apply to the screws, it is fairly repeatable.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 11:48 PM, IVC said:

Which primers? It couldn't fill a single tube of WSP for me, no matter how much I tried to adjust it... 

I run mainly WSP CCI, and during the shortage -  Ginex in mine. Never had an issue. It shelved my RF100 which was just a constant flipped primers at the chute.