Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawing Gun out of holster did I discover ?

Daslinger

First of all I’m only a C/D USPSA shooter.

When shooting my Sig P320 I didn’t have that much trouble getting the gun out of the holster but when getting my Atlas Artemis out of the holster, the gun would get hung up getting out of the holster.

I’ve tried some wacky things to get the gun out like leaning my upper body forward. Moving my hand further back towards the magwell before the draw etc. I don’t wear a proper double belt. Just a thick leather Vedder belt, because I’m stubborn, and don’t feel like going to a inside/outside system.

BUT I just realized that if I unweight my right side where the holster is, slightly, the gun comes out like butter.

Is unweighting the holster side of the body slightly or stepping with the opposite foot and drawing (unweighting the dominant side leg)……something that other people do ? Or am I just finding it better because of my inadequate holster rig set up ?

5 hours ago, Daslinger said:

Is unweighting the holster side of the body slightly or stepping with the opposite foot and drawing (unweighting the dominant side leg)……something that other people do ? Or am I just finding it better because of my inadequate holster rig set up ?

Probably the latter. Holster shouldn't change retention based on quite a bit of contact, let alone the incidental contact you imply. If the gun is getting stuck, look for what is catching and where. It shouldn't happen with a well-fitting holster, so a guess is that it's something related to the rest of your setup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 11:42 PM, Daslinger said:

Is unweighting the holster side of the body slightly or stepping with the opposite foot and drawing (unweighting the dominant side leg)……something that other people do ?

I'm kinda thinking this could actually cause more sway in the body, as you're a bit less stable, which could lead to a compromised sight picture. So in the end it's not necessarily better just because one particular part is faster/smoother. Speculating of course but may be worth taking a look at.

On 12/22/2023 at 3:42 PM, Daslinger said:

That doesn't sound like a good idea. You're not addressing the problem. Like Sarge said, start by getting a decent belt. I prefer leather (Wilson) but whatever works for you. Try adjusting the angle of the holster as needed. The further forward you move the holster the straighter it has to be.