Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Gauging Results - Bulk Loading 9mm

Maximis228

10 minutes ago, Nolan said:

LOL!  That's the Australian version.  You need the US version.

Nolan

¿noʎ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʍ 'ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ uᴉ ɯɐ I

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

¿noʎ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʍ 'ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ uᴉ ɯɐ I

Well, that's the problem then, you have the US case gauge.  You need the Australian case gauge.

I'm in Commieforiastan.

Nolan

• 1 month later...

Recent results from a batch of 20,000 9 minor. I’m blaming this on some really bad brass that is multi fired 9 major. Tons of cracked cases were caught during processing but clearly not enough. 

My processing dies are around the 250k range or so. 

how long do carbide dies last? I’ve heard anywhere from 100,000 - 1,000,000. I would imagine rollsizing helps extend life as well as using Multiple sizing dies when processing (Dillon and EGW U). 

IMG_8096.jpeg

Inspect the die carefully for cracks in the carbide.  BTDT.  Surprisingly a lot of rounds still worked.

Also it's possible to have cracked cases pass the gauge depending if they get sized down enough.  That can be exciting if you don't notice first.

Failures are inevitable. I would assume the more automated the process, the higher potential for failure? Maybe? I would have answered almost all of CHA-LEE's questions "incorrectly" (because I welcome fun in my life, lol) but my true failure rate is still almost nil. What I mean is that some rounds, very few, don't pass gauge, and instead of worrying too much, I just toss them into the practice bin. I don't pre-size the range brass I use. I don't use any special dies (Dillon for everything I load). I rarely get flipped, missing, or no primer rounds, but I'm not automated (Dillon 650, casefeeder, no bullet feeder). I still shoot slightly cracked cases (the ones that slip past me) one last time. Always have, always will. And the rounds that stand a little too proud in my hundo get set aside for use in my most forgiving chambers. I think that Maximis228's failure rates are exceptional considering the amount of automation involved.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 3/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, Maximis228 said:

Recent results from a batch of 20,000 9 minor. I’m blaming this on some really bad brass that is multi fired 9 major. Tons of cracked cases were caught during processing but clearly not enough. 

My processing dies are around the 250k range or so. 

how long do carbide dies last? I’ve heard anywhere from 100,000 - 1,000,000. I would imagine rollsizing helps extend life as well as using Multiple sizing dies when processing (Dillon and EGW U). 

IMG_8096.jpeg

That is great results in my opinion Im not sure any of the following would pay off. The loss of 50 primers over 20,000 wouldnt be worth the cost of time/money to do better.

-either tuning your autofiller or swiching to PAL style may help with primers

-reduced speed can help with the crushed(4 isnt bad though)

-using new brass(or at least 1 regular fire) will eliminate cracks

-roll sizing would probably eliminate bulge for gauging

I would decap and save the 8 upside down primers, the ones right side up I find the decap pin destorts the primer so just dump case after bullet and powder recovered.