Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new M&P competitor

Bakerjd

Had a few gift cards to the local gun shop that have been sitting in my safe for probably well over a year. Decided to use them a few weeks ago to get the M&P metal. Shot it a few times and really liked it. Perfect carry gun. Decided I would get the competition model as well. Going to keep things really simple with it. Ordered a couple TF mag extensions, holster and DPP. I'll probably get the brass magwell for it simply because the factory magwell is concave on the internal part. Why companies do that I'll never understand. Other then that it is perfect for my needs now days. I used to chase scores, match standing, having the latest cool kid guns ect... but after 6 years of basicly shooting matches every weekend and 8-10 majors a year it all stopped being fun last season. So for the every so often local this will do great. I also really like the serrations on the slide. One of the few off the shelf guns I have ever owned that they were usable. 

If I were buying again these days I'd pick the M&P Competitor too. I really liked the grip for my hands, the trigger is OK and is improvable, and it handled well when I played with it. Aftermarket parts are available so there's no strong down-side. (I enjoy a Canik TP9SFx that I've spent time and money optimizing, but selecting again I'd go with the M&P instead.)

5 hours ago, BradNC said:

If I were buying again these days I'd pick the M&P Competitor too. I really liked the grip for my hands, the trigger is OK and is improvable, and it handled well when I played with it. Aftermarket parts are available so there's no strong down-side. (I enjoy a Canik TP9SFx that I've spent time and money optimizing, but selecting again I'd go with the M&P instead.)

I had a TP9Sfx and Rival. Liked the trigger... didn't like the rest of the gun. Just didn't fit my hands well. Trigger though.... about perfect IMO. 

I've spent too much time getting my Canik TP9SFx to my liking (reliable trigger action, appropriate springs, extra grip weight, extra grip traction, too many issues to repeat here) to throw it aside, but if I could I would opt for the M&P. Plus, the Canik grip is not nearly as good as the M&P for my hands. But the M&P Competitor was not available when I started with Canik, so at the time the Canik was my best available choice.

So many great triggers for the m&p's.  I like the Timney the best mostly because I like the design of the trigger and the pull is a nice 2-2.5lbs without changing anything except the sear.

I hope S&W makes a steel frame version with the mag well maxed out for production and weighing around 40-43oz.  That could be a really nice CO/production gun that could get them back in the competition game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 9:34 PM, Hammerman said:

So many great triggers for the m&p's.  I like the Timney the best mostly because I like the design of the trigger and the pull is a nice 2-2.5lbs without changing anything except the sear.

I hope S&W makes a steel frame version with the mag well maxed out for production and weighing around 40-43oz.  That could be a really nice CO/production gun that could get them back in the competition game.

I'm actually really liking this competitor with a tungsten guide rod. Super fast and easy to move around. I also did the brass magwell and with both its dang near perfect. 

I don't think I'm gonna do any trigger mods. I like the factory trigger. And spending a bunch of money to gain a very little doesn't seem worth it. I've chased the prefect trigger with a bunch of other guns and have found that for me it just doesn't improve anything. I actually am going to send my Venom 2011 back to Don if it doesn't sell and have him redo the super fancy light trigger to have some more return tension. My fingers are not in the best working order and find I need a trigger that sort of forces my finger back and a good felt reset. Otherwise I don't always get the trigger reset. 

10 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I'm actually really liking this competitor with a tungsten guide rod. Super fast and easy to move around. I also did the brass magwell and with both its dang near perfect. 

I don't think I'm gonna do any trigger mods. I like the factory trigger. And spending a bunch of money to gain a very little doesn't seem worth it. I've chased the prefect trigger with a bunch of other guns and have found that for me it just doesn't improve anything. I actually am going to send my Venom 2011 back to Don if it doesn't sell and have him redo the super fancy light trigger to have some more return tension. My fingers are not in the best working order and find I need a trigger that sort of forces my finger back and a good felt reset. Otherwise I don't always get the trigger reset. 

which tungsten guide rod did you go with? I have the longer ones that fit my 5 inch slide but sticks out on the competitor, is there another one ?

4 hours ago, Blaize said:

which tungsten guide rod did you go with? I have the longer ones that fit my 5 inch slide but sticks out on the competitor, is there another one ?

I got the carver one for the competitor model. 

On 12/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, usmc1974 said:

I really love my smith and Wesson M&P2.0 metal. It is awesome in every way. I would buy a competitor in a second if I could get one in 40 smith and Wesson.

CDNN has new 5 inch .40 slides for 50 bucks , I recently purchased 2 of them. One of those and barrel and you have one in .40

• 1 month later...

I'm here because: 1. I'm a huge gun advertising hype victim. 2. I like M&Ps. I've owned a few P320 X5s including the Legion, lots of Shadow 2s and CZ TS variants, and Bul single action raceguns, but I still gravitate to Smith's offering because of ergos and grip, despite it being more of a sporterized duty gun than a real competition beast.

I've competed with M&Ps for years, currently with a 5" M2.0 CORE. Still find it difficult to justify moving to a Metal variant. I can't use a magwell in my shooting division and find the plastic mag release perfectly usable. Is there any point in switching from a 5" CORE to a Competitor besides the cool factor? 

• 1 month later...

1 of the absolutely awesome things about the smith and Wesson M&P2.0 metal Is the way that the red dot mounts to the slide.  it's almost like a custom Made Slide.

Edited by usmc1974
Sometimes this kindle fire doubles prints everything I say

I have a thread started about the recoil assembly length.  Can anyone simply field strip and measure please?  I'd like to get a Sprinco setup for my Competitor (arrives today) and I'd like to answer Allen's question before my pistol arrives.  Thanks.