Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ-proofing yourself

JoeInTucson

So I work in engineering and one thing we do is design equipment to be screw-up proof to the extent we can. So I started shooting matches and listening to the warnings at the beginning of the match. My parents had taught me to be extremely muzzle aware so that in and of itself would never be a problem, however you can get in trouble for other stuff. So I also watched others. Initially I was using a HK P30 and a cheap holster. The P30 had an external safety and I saw others getting in trouble over forgetting to turn it on when they abandoned the pistol. So I figured it was a matter of time before it happened to me so I switched to striker fired. And it gave me an opportunity for a G34.5 MOS I had been wanting. So I upgraded the holster to a Safariland with a USPSA kit and kicked the muzzle forward about 10 degrees. It forces me to pull the pistol with the muzzle forward, because I saw others get in trouble for that too. I have heard of people getting sent home for tripping, so I got some new boots with ultra grippy soles.

I was once on this one stage that was very poorly designed, so I asked the RO how to legally shoot a certain target. He said, "You must stand exactly there". So actually asking a question when they ask "Do you understand the course of fire?" prevented a dq.

So aside from muzzle awareness, which is so important, what do you do to actually prevent a dq in the first place? 

What game do you want to shoot? read the rules

1 Putting safety on will become second nature with enough practice/experience.

2 You do not have to cant a holster to legally draw or reholster. USPSA for instance gives you a 3' circle.

3. Unless you are a total clutz or shooting in wingtips the concern over tripping can't really be fixed by a particular shoe.

4. Do you understand the course of fire is not a legit range command and will rarely if ever get asked. So don't plan for it. Just ask the RO before making ready.

There are several ways to DQ. Muzzle awareness is only a small piece of that pie. You can drop a gun, you can pick up a gun, handle a gun without being told to do so, take ammo to a safe table, finger on trigger, launching a round too soon on the draw, etc etc. So again, read the rules for your chosen game and practice practice

Muzzle awareness can leave you under pressure. Doing a panic reload while moving towards the weak hand side of the stage? Tripping isn't cause for DQ in itself - but can you keep pointing downrange, whatever happens? Where is your gun hand when the stage requires retreating?

Are you sure you will not sweep yourself while opening a door or grabbing a prop?

Some have their trigger finger uncomfortably near the trigger while loading, reloading or unloading.

I heard of a DQ for slapping a handful of empty cases on the Safe table...

I'm a firm believer in Steve Anderson's mantra, i.e. avoid at all costs any and all negative thoughts, to include about DQ's! Also agree with Sarge, i.e. know, understand and be able to apply the rules ... and when in doubt, do approach and ask a RO in advance. Any equipment, be it gun, mags, belt, holster, pouches, etc. will not make you win a stage or match, but qualitative and safe equipment/gear significantly removes any unnecessary hastles and - safety - concerns, so you can focus on your performance!

When I practice with friends we are anal about following the range commands and safety rules as if we were at a match, we also provide each other feedback on any action or technique that seems borderline. 
On the very rare occasion that I dry fire practice alone I respect the 180 and work on doing the sketchy things (reloading while moving to your weak side, moving backwards to address a target around a barrier, for example) safely. 
Ingraining the right habits seems to help

17 hours ago, JoeInTucson said:

what do you do to actually prevent a dq in the first place? 

i generally shoot a stage from left to right so that when doing any reloads (right handed pistol shooter) the gun is somewhat naturally pointed downrange.

also for 2 & 3 gun i use a retention (hood) holster.

Slow down,,, of all the DQ's I have seen,,, which in the scheme of things wasnt all that many,, Far as I can recall , they all had one thing in common... Someone trying to go too fast ,  and ,ost of those were pretty high ranked experienced shooters

In a USPSA match, years ago, I had a DQ, which I've seen several times since by other people in USPSA and IDPA matches.

In my case, many years ago when I was starting to get into USPSA, IIRC it was some classifier stage in a local match, where we had multiple strings, having to shoot strong hand/weak hand/etc. I had shot, I think, two strings, and started the third stage, when the scorer noticed that all the targets weren't taped from some previous shooter, so we stopped, and then re-shot that string, and then finished the other strings. So a bit of stop and go, and remembering which hand to use on the strings. It was also, the second to last stage of the day.

Essentially, it was a lack of focus on the task at hand, and at the end of the last string, I did "if you are finished, unload and show clear" step, but forgot to drop the mag and just locked back the slide. When told to hammer down, I closed the slide, pointing at berm and pulled the trigger, and... bang. Granted, I wasn't taking my time, so that is one part of it, and yeah, the RO wasn't really watching me well for the unload and show clear (but that is not an excuse).

So, now, I do the following steps while counting them off (sometimes out-loud)...

1. Drop mag

2. Store mag

3. Put off-hand's index finger up the mag well.

4. Lock slide back

5. Look at chamber

6. Place index finger of off-hand in chamber

7. Close slide

8. Pull trigger

9. Holster

Lots of redundancy, but after a day of shooting, I like the extra checks (visible and tactile).

It was an educational experience, as, nowadays, when I'm ROing, I look for the mag drop and pay attention closely to whether the chamber is clear.

For novices shooters at level one matches for SC or IDPA, if they go fast and I don't see the chamber, I usually say "I'm sorry, I didn't get to see the chamber, can you show me that it is clear again"? I'd rather make the process slower and double check, then potentially send someone home with a DQ. If it's an experienced shooter, and they want to rush through the process (which I think is unwise) and I think they'll be annoyed, I just follow the RO commands and just mention to them (once) that there's no need to hurry through the steps.

I'd say it's impossible to DQ proof, but it is very possible to focus on avoiding the common things (180, improper clearing, finger).

$0.20 adjusted for inflation. :)

• 1 month later...

I recently shot a stage where the start position was facing up range. 

Make ready - I faced down range took a sight picture, loaded the gun and holstered it.

I turned up range to the star position and before the "ARE YOU READY came, I pulled the gun up from the holster 1 inch to ensure it wasn't catching, just as I often do when facing down range.

MD was right there and gave me a warning that I could not do that, even though the gun didn't clear the holster, even though it didn't break the 180.  He didn't DQ me, I thanked him and told him that I didn't even know that was a rule, but it makes sense now because had the gun cleared the holster the muzzle had a better chance of breaking the 180, etc.

7 minutes ago, flyinverted said:

I recently shot a stage where the start position was facing up range. 

Make ready - I faced down range took a sight picture, loaded the gun and holstered it.

I turned up range to the star position and before the "ARE YOU READY came, I pulled the gun up from the holster 1 inch to ensure it wasn't catching, just as I often do when facing down range.

MD was right there and gave me a warning that I could not do that, even though the gun didn't clear the holster, even though it didn't break the 180.  He didn't DQ me, I thanked him and told him that I didn't even know that was a rule, but it makes sense now because had the gun cleared the holster the muzzle had a better chance of breaking the 180, etc.

That was probably a DQ. Gun doesn’t have to “clear the holster”. If there is access to the interior of the trigger guard, the gun is drawn.