Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving moonclips loaded? Do you have a time limit?

bigdog02

I did do a quick search and did not see this as having been asked recently. Just curious on something I have been wondering about.  

What is your personal time limit on how long you leave moonclips loaded?  Do you have a time limit?

I have found I sort of stick to season limits.  Once the season is over, any extras I have loaded up get unloaded and the moon clips get wiped down and put back in their containers.

No limit.   I’m sure I had some loaded for years when revo died up here around the c19 years.

there is no tension on my moons unlike a compressed mag spring.  My wife had a production mag spring that died after staying loaded.  Only figured it out after a match when she started every stage with a “click”.  The stripper mag spring was dead.

My carry gun is a moon clipped revolver and I check to make sure moons I carry go in and they have been loaded for over a year. Moons I use in competition are unloaded at the end of the day as they have been shot. As far as I know you can leave them as long as you want. 

2 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I wouldn't leave any loaded for more than 100 years. Probably time for fresh ammo by then, anyway.

This.

I usually do unload them after the rounds are empty though.

I still have a bunch loaded from my last SC match.

In July of 2019.

The only damage to be done would be if you try to load a Starline fitting clip with ww, rp or some other brand case that is too tight.  I've bent one trying to do that. It seemed to spring back, but if left that way It could take a set.

The normal tight clip/case fit wont spring a clip.

A more worrisome issue is as cases are fired multiple times I've noticed at some point the fit gets off and the moon won't drop in freely.  Change rounds and they do.  I surmise it's due to burrs in the groove.