Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Say it Ain't So!

twix

Bill, you're perusing. I saw you shoot a match Limited 10 and you felt like a fish out of water. Can't imagine you with a Glock on your hip. Imagining, imagining....nope, that would definitely not look right.

(Edited by twix at 9:09 am on Sep. 4, 2002)

Hey Bill, you don't have to wish.  Just sell that foo-foo gun and you'll have enough money for a production gun, a production backup gun, all the gear, and still have enough money left over for a big party to celebrate your move over to production.  Whadaya think?

Hey Bill. I'm hoping to make the Miami R&P match at the end of the month. There are a couple of younger M35 shooters there who are looking pretty good, Jason and Chris. Hope to see you there.

Chris I cannot go from the darkside. You are either Borg or not Borg Beers on me if I do though. I'll have lots of money left if Tom will sell me his Glockster.

Twix, Sorry, I am shooting the PA tristate. Aren't you?

275 Rds $75 !!! Bring those plastic guns the next weekend to THE OH State Championship. I'll beat up on them with my plastic gun.

(Edited by BSeevers at 2:21 pm on Sep. 4, 2002)

(Edited by BSeevers at 2:40 pm on Sep. 4, 2002)

This a copy of the post I left bout TDean's comments concerning  giving up his Glock due to problems at the RGNs -

quote]Quote: from TDean on 2:58 am on Aug. 30, 2002

I was plagued by gun problems that by my calculations cost me 276 match points.  That new ghost rocket connector I installed in my G20 gave up the ghost and caused such severe binding that the gun wouldn’t go fully into battery in the middle of a 140point stage, I zeroed that stage, dead last.  On another stage the next day, the gun again stopped going bang 4 shots into a 150 point stage!  I zeroed that stage too with 300 penalty points, but a smoking time!

..... Well it didn’t take David to tell me what was wrong with the my gun this time. The Lightning Strike steel striker was broken, the tip of the striker had snapped off......Next year, I’ll have a 1911.  My Glock and me are getting a divorce!

I'm usually the last person to defend Glocks, but they are great tools... out of the box. It seems all fo your problems revolved around aftermarket parts, the ghost rocket (new product, little tested) and the titanium striker (KNOWN to be brittle and break frequently).

Maybe if you put the Glock back to stock..... or better yet buy a Springfield XD Tactical in .40.  

I think part of it's aftermarket parts, part of it is that we need to realize everything has a finite life.  It sounds like Tom shoots the crap out of his G20.  

Gunsmithing costs aside, replacing the guts of a Glock is maybe a $100 proposition.  Why not just change out your internals on a periodic basis.  I plan to on my G19 here soon.  Why *wait* for stuff to break?  I'd think some gun parts marketing genius would start selling pre-fab "Glock Guts Kits" for each of the most common models used in IPSC.

E

Eric,

I could be wrong about this, but I think Glockmeister already puts together kits to replace the guts in the slide and kits to replace the guts in the frame.  Basically everything but frame, slide, barrel, and sights.  I know I saw that somewhere, now if I could just remember where.....

It's about time I found this thread!

Vince brings up a very valid point.

I can't blame Gaston's design for my troubles at Nats, but at the same time, I wouldn't have had those problems if I were satisfied with the Glock trigger.

My pursuit to make the Glock trigger as "1911ish" as possible cost me big.

There are four different types of Glock shooters.

The first group would say that the stock Glock trigger is fine for competition.  The second group thinks that the stock parts fine but a lot of polishing and spring swapping is needed.  The third group thinks the stock trigger is crap, and strives to make it shorter and lighter with major and innovative changes.  The fourth group is only using the Glock because they don't have the money to invest in a quality 1911/2011.

I was in the third group.  I believed that by shortening the reset and lightening the pull on the Glock’s trigger, one could better compete with the .12-.14 splits that 1911 triggers are capable of.   Furthermore, the Glocks lower bore-axis and shock absorbing polymer frame spells faster follow-up shots because of the reduced muzzle flip as compared to 1911’s (just my theory).

Bottom line, we can’t make the Glock something it isn’t.  Either you’re satisfied with the trigger (in its reliable near stock condition) or you’re not.  If you’re not, then the best thing to do is get another gun with a trigger more to your liking.  Modifying the Glock trigger to break @2.5# with short reset can be done, although my experience tells me it’s ultimately unreliable (at the worst times).  There’s less room for error, there’s less room to overcome environmental conditions when you’re on the edge of performance (sand, dust, water, extreme temps).

Sitting in my hotel room one night during the Nats with every part of my gun spread out on the table, I made the decision to abandon this futile attempt to make a prince out of a frog.  The frog has its place in this world, in the wild.  That’s just where my G20 will retire.  I’m returning it to stock condition and reassigning it to defensive carry.  It will accompany me when I’m fly-fishing.  I might just put in a 3.5 connector in though, just so he doesn’t forget where he came from.

Something that bugs me: where the hell is Glock Inc. when it comes to supporting the Limited/Open crowd of shooters?  There wasn't an official Glock Armorer on site at the USPSA's Race Gun Nationals?

Hell,  they didn't even participate as a sponser on any level.  So apparently Glock Inc. has zero intrest in designing a viable "competition only" trigger assembly, nor do they have any interest in participating in Limited/Open competitions.  Fine.

Y'know, no one wants to listen to me when I tell them this, but you should at least try the 8 pound connector, if you can find one. Trigger overtravel and reset distance are both lessened immensely, everything else stays stock, and the slightly increased pull weight isn't even noticeable. Honest.

Going to Renton this month? I'll bring my 8 pound connector. I promise, you'll be amazed.

tom step away from the light!  for real. i think i'm in the second group like the stock parts polished but went back to the stock spring. i tried all the other things but like you said they seem to go wrong at the worst times. but good luck and give hell

Sure. It's a stock Glock part - as in, made by the Glock factory. Look at your Glock 3.5 pound connector; notice it has a little minus (-) on it. The 8 pound connector has a little plus (+) in the exact same place.

The 3.5 pound connector achieves its lighter pull weight by having a much shallower angle to its "hook." This lessens the amount of poundage required to pull the trigger bar down out of engagement with the striker, but unfortunately gives the trigger considerable creep. The 8 pound connector ups trigger pull by having a much steeper angle than the stock 5.5 pounder, and thus has MUCH less creep. Like I said, trigger pull becomes amazingly crisp - for a Glock.

Oh ya, I forgot about those things.  I guess I deleted that from my memory.  I think I have one somewhere....

...but I'm looking for a light trigger pull man.

The 8# connector will shorten the rearward movement of the trigger because the angle of the slope on the connector is steeper forcing the trigger bar tang to drop and slip off the striker leg sooner, but the force needed to do that....yikes.  :(