Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new 9mm revo load (929) Sport Pistol powder

ysrracer

I had been shooting my 627, but recently switched to my five inch 929. I had been using Clays powder, but it's been unavailable for a few years now.

I lucked into Sport Pistol powder, and it's virtually the same. I'm using 2.7gr of Sport Pistol behind a 160gr Blue Bullet.

It meters well, burns clean, and is mild shooting. Anybody else use it?

Name: 9mm: 163gr Blue RN: Sport Pistol 2.75gr: OAL 1.190: S&W 929
Notes: S&W 929 5"
Shots: 6
Average: 787 ft/s
SD: 5 ft/s
Min: 778 ft/s
Max: 794 ft/s
Spread: 16 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 128
Power Factor Low: 126
Power Factor High: 129
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 70F
Bullet Weight: 163
Powder/Wt: Sport Pistol 2.75gr
Bullet/Wt: Blue 163gr RN
C.O.A.L.: 1.190
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Federal
Gun: S&W 929

8 minutes ago, revoman said:

What size bullet and what accuracy at 25 yds off bench? Curious minds want to know. 

Blue Bullets 160gr (actually 163gr) sized .358. I never shoot off the bench, but off hand about a 4" group.

49 minutes ago, revoman said:

Try it off a bench then report back as then it will tell the difference between a good load to look at and the nut behind the trigger. 

Never going to happen. I shoot ICORE and USPSA off hand, and that's what I'm looking for.

Four inch groups off hand at 25 yards is fine for me.

Brad, My loads are similar to yours except I increased it to 2.9 grains, from 2.8, to give me a little more cushion at matches with a standard chronograph. I do have 147 grain Blue Bullets (0.358”) coming to experiment with to see if there is any advantage to the lighter weight (also want to try Alaskan454’s TiteGroup load with that bullet along with Sport Pistol).

1 hour ago, BHBret said:

Brad, My loads are similar to yours except I increased it to 2.9 grains, from 2.8, to give me a little more cushion at matches with a standard chronograph. I do have 147 grain Blue Bullets (0.358”) coming to experiment with to see if there is any advantage to the lighter weight (also want to try Alaskan454’s TiteGroup load with that bullet along with Sport Pistol).

Here's my load for Blue Bullets 147. Slightly, and I mean slightly more "snap", I think :)

Name: 9mm: 147gr Blue RN: Sport Pistol 3.15gr: OAL 1.190: S&W 929
Notes: S&W 929 5"
Shots: 7
Average: 852 ft/s
SD: 12 ft/s
Min: 832 ft/s
Max: 871 ft/s
Spread: 39 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 125
Power Factor Low: 122
Power Factor High: 128
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 65F
Bullet Weight: 147
Powder/Wt: Sport Pistol 3.15gr
Bullet/Wt: Blue 147gr RN
C.O.A.L.: 1.190
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Federal
Gun: S&W 929

42 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Alliant clay dot is the same as clays.  I started using it about the time the Australian plant ceased production.

That's my understanding. I can't find either :)

There's a place in Phoenix that had Sport Pistol powder on sale a few months ago. I bought some and liked it. When a saw an eight pounder in Sportsmans Warehouse, I bought that too.

It loads and functions the same as Clays. I now have 11 pounds.

I think it's about 25,000 rounds worth. I'm 65, I'm done buying powder :)

27 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

That's my understanding. I can't find either :)

There's a place in Phoenix that had Sport Pistol powder on sale a few months ago. I bought some and liked it. When a saw an eight pounder in Sportsmans Warehouse, I bought that too.

It loads and functions the same as Clays. I now have 11 pounds.

I think it's about 25,000 rounds worth. I'm 65, I'm done buying powder :)

I'm 67 and hope I'm not!

I'm down to 4 lbs of Clay Dot, and 1 lb of Clays the good old stuff, so I need to find some.  Or start using the 12 lbs of Titegroup I have next year.

Just ordered 2 more flats of f100's, down to 1 flat of them left and 3+ flats of fed/cci.

7 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I'm down to 4 lbs of Clay Dot, and 1 lb of Clays the good old stuff, so I need to find some.  Or start using the 12 lbs of Titegroup I have next year.

If I could find sport pistol I'd buy it but I can't say that there were any problems with Titegroup in my 929. 

You folks using Clays or Clay dot for 9mm loads pushing a heavy bullet are braver souls than I. 

53 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You folks using Clays or Clay dot for 9mm loads pushing a heavy bullet are braver souls than I. 

Meh, I've only loaded 8 or 10 pounds of Clays behind a 160gr bullet in .38 Short Colt.

So far so good.

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If I could find sport pistol I'd buy it but I can't say that there were any problems with Titegroup in my 929. 

I have in glocks and 1911 with lighter jacketed bullets.  But in revolvers it's 38 short colts.

Australia Defence Industries (ADI) makes CLAYS and other powders that Hodgdon repackages and sells. 

I would be really surprised if we see any powder anytime soon due to the unrest in the middle east and all over.....

I hope I am wrong........